• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supply of Early Silver Age

In your opinion, how many total copies of Showcase #4 (1956) exist (every possible condition, slabbed and unslabbed)?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, how many total copies of Showcase #4 (1956) exist (every possible condition, slabbed and unslabbed)?

52 posts in this topic

You should have started by offering us Gerber's estimates on this before you had us give our own opinions. I trust his opinion more than my own or anybody else I've ever seen post here. Gerber's estimates from his Photo-Journals in 1990 are as follows:

Showcase 4 = 200 to 1000

Fantastic Four 1 = 1000 to 2000

Amazing Fantasy 15 = 1000 to 2000

Amazing Spider-Man 1 = 1000 to 2000

X-Men 1 = over 2000

The next question would have to be what percentage of these early Silver comics have survived in high grade? What percentage are still VF, VF/NM, NM, or better?

Now THAT requires some speculation beyond what Gerber or anyone else has tried before CGC's census started giving us the beginnings of a hint as to an answer on that question. I'll be thinking about it!

I agree, especially as compared to FF 1 or AF15. Those two seem to get sold a lot less, especially FF 1. And it makes sense, since FF 1 and AF15 were gambles, whereas Spidey 1 was a response to the unexpected popularity of AF15. And X-Men 1 was published after Marvel was already successful with FF, Spidey, Hulk, and Thor.

I've seen at least one copy of ASM #1 at nearly every show I've ever been to, and most of them aren't big conventions but the little rinky dink Sunday morning shows that are held in Allentown or near the Stadium in Philly. I don't think that it's a particularly rare book. If you have the cash, a nice copy can be had relatively easy.

OK OK OK let's keep the exaggeration down in THIS thread, please. tongue.gif

Seriously, one in three people probably don't know you're exaggerating, and by saying you've seen 2000 copies for sale on ebay this year, you ARE exaggerating. 200 to 400 sounds closer to accurate.

.....being serious now.......this is a very interesting thread...i would actually LOVE to know how many copies of these issues are out there...............

....refering back to the gerber estimates though, AF #15 and ASM #1 both with about 1-2000 copies each...................in my experience i would have said that there were around twice as many copies of ASM #1 than AF #15......i myself have seen about that ratio over the years..................