• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA Feb Heritage Auction -- Curators, etc.

78 posts in this topic

It doesn't look as good as the Curator. :baiting:

Contrarian, elitist, condescending, grumpy, crotchety are all words that come to mind.

:devil:

Seriously, it`s a really sweet copy. Why didn`t it get a 9.4?

One of the graders gave it a 9.4 at the time. Might have just been a tight period a couple of years ago.

Consensus on todays #1 in 5.5 is that it will be appearing before too long in a new slab, and probably sporting a very different numerical grade.

Seems like a higher label is already baked into the current price. If it comes up for sale in a new higher label but is identified as being the same book, I bet it doesn't go much higher (if at all).

Not everybody buys comics for the profit margin. :baiting:

Then why is the owner immediately resubbing for a higher label?

It was the consensus that they could, not that anyone either knows who the owner is or whether they will. Case dismissed!

Agent, what did you grab? :applause:

I had put in bids on the FF #11 (extremely hard in HG) and the #48, which looked spectacular. I ended up winning the #11 for too much money and losing the #48 to the live auction. Ah well!

Dan

What's with all the love for the 9.4 FF5? It sure as heck is a generous grade with all the spine stresses that break colour.

Dan you must have seen this book up close...what would you grade it?

I agree that is really strong money for a 9.4.

I sold 2 copies at CGC 9.2 with white pages for about mid $20's in the past year.

That's the nicest 9.4 of FF 5 I've ever seen. The people who saw it in person thought it was phenomenal. I'm not surprised at all that it went for such a strong price. This is one book where I definitely was not involved in the end bidding because I knew it was going to be well above anything I was willing to risk.

Speaking from experience, for some collectors, prices of 9.2s have absolutely no bearing on prices of 9.4s. The desire to own a 9.2 copy, even at 1/4 or 1/3 of the price of a 9.4, is zero.

That's what I thought too. Everyone was saying how great the FF#5 looked.

I've seen the WM #5 and it was incredible. But, I know Dave Miller has seen it too, and he was commenting that the Curator was remarkable.

Based on the comments, it's not surprising that the Curator fetched that price.

FFs in general have room to move up over the long term, relative to other silver age. The title changed marvel and the entire comics biz, which ultimately changed the entire entertainment biz. And it was the flagship Marvel title in its earliest days. Plus they have amazing stories and art.

Consensus on todays #1 in 5.5 is that it will be appearing before too long in a new slab, and probably sporting a very different numerical grade.

Seems like a higher label is already baked into the current price. If it comes up for sale in a new higher label but is identified as being the same book, I bet it doesn't go much higher (if at all).

Not everybody buys comics for the profit margin. :baiting:

Then why is the owner immediately resubbing for a higher label?

It was the consensus that they could, not that anyone either knows who the owner is or whether they will. Case dismissed!

Ah, I thought your use of the word "Consensus" was a euphemism for definitive knowledge that one of the usual suspects had won it and was already making plans to crack and resub.

The ones I was watching ended up selling for 2x to 3x typical market value. Very strong sales, nice to see. :)

The books didn't look upgradeable and Brulato has held so many of those Curators for so long that so it must just be people looking for a piece of the curator pie.

Considering the back story, that just sounded so wrong.

The ones I was watching ended up selling for 2x to 3x typical market value. Very strong sales, nice to see. :)

The books didn't look upgradeable and Brulato has held so many of those Curators for so long that so it must just be people looking for a piece of the curator pie.

hm - weren't they owned by Dan Jurgens?

hm - weren't they owned by Dan Jurgens?

I think Roy means that Brulato has owned most of the Curator Marvel runs.

The premium pricing is easily justified by the white page quality and white cover paper stock. The FFs overall had nicer cover paper than any FF SA pedigree that I've seen. I'm of the opinion that the Pacific Coast FFs have superior structural preservation overall, but the Curators have superior paper preservation.

The FF31 really showed the quality of the paper. According to the current census, there are only 3 copies of this ish in 9.6 (2) or 9.8 (1), and remarkably the Curator 9.8 and one of the 9.6s were both in this auction. I set them side by side, and while both are stunning examples, the Curator cover whites were whiter, the reds and yellows were brighter, and the black background was more intense - the differences were striking, and it just popped in a way that even the second nicest known copy couldn't.

I asked the guys at Heritage why the run was referred to as the Northstar collection and wasn't given the Curator designation at first, and they said that the consignor was unaware the run was from the Curator pedigree, and so they were unaware, too.

Interesting to see that some of the choice big dollar bids were won via phone bids. I'm betting these were scooped up by a big dealer instead of a collector?

Not necessarily as there really were not that many people in the room. I was at the Twin Cities auction and there were many more people in attendance at that auction.

Interesting to see that some of the choice big dollar bids were won via phone bids. I'm betting these were scooped up by a big dealer instead of a collector?

Not necessarily as there really were not that many people in the room. I was at the Twin Cities auction and there were many more people in attendance at that auction.

Yeah very surprising. If I was in town I defintely would have made an effort to see it live.

I asked the guys at Heritage why the run was referred to as the Northstar collection and wasn't given the Curator designation at first, and they said that the consignor was unaware the run was from the Curator pedigree, and so they were unaware, too.

That`s pretty shocking, actually, for guys making a living from this hobby and who should presumably know better than anyone else where the bodies are.

If Dan Jurgens had come to me and said that he wanted to sell a bunch of really nice FFs that he had owned for a while, even a non-plugged-in dumbarse like me would`ve known that they must be the Curators.

Also a black eye to CGC for not wondering whether there was something unusual about this incredibly well preserved FF run that had been submitted to them. There used to be a time when the guys at CGC were sharp enough to actually identify that a book was a pedigree even though the owner didn`t know himself and had submitted it without any designation. CGC would then actually do some additional legwork on their own to confirm that the book was indeed a pedigree.

It`s great that the Boards did the job for Heritage and CGC and got the books correctly identified. :applause:

If Dan Jurgens had come to me and said that he wanted to sell a bunch of really nice FFs that he had owned for a while, even a non-plugged-in dumbarse like me would`ve known that they must be the Curators.

You're pretty plugged in--we've said around here for years in many different threads that a "famous comic artist" owned the Curator FFs. I can't think of anything someone at Heritage would have known other than having known that slightly generic bit of info or knowing specifically that it was Jurgens.

Yeah very surprising. If I was in town I defintely would have made an effort to see it live.

Same here as I would most definitley show up at a Heritage auction if one was ever held in my city. :wishluck:

Maybe NYC with over 8 million people is just too small of a city to expect to draw more than 20 people to an event of this magnitude. Maybe you have to look for an city with over 20 million people if you want to have a chance of getting 100 live bodies out there.

Even during the middle of the big SD convention with over 100,000 bona fide comic collectors right in the next room, Heritage was unable to convince more than 20 people to show up for one of their Signature Auctions.

You would have thought they could have rounded up more bums off Skid Road to come in, considering all of the free food and refreshments that Heritage always has available for anybody willing to show up. (shrug)