• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading Astonishing X-Men #1 makes me ask X-Universe Questions

25 posts in this topic

Since I haven't read a Marvel Universe X-book since Jim Lee was on it (and even then I was basically just looking at the pictures) I have some questions...

When/How did the White Queen end up running the joint?

What happened to Jean Grey?

Where's everyone else? I'm talking about the Byrne era X-cast I grew up reading. Colossus (dead, right?), Nightcrawler, Storm, etc.? Other books? Other teams?

Where's Xavier?

while I read the X-books sporadically, someone else might elaborate on this.

Jean Grey is dead (for now)

Emma Frost and Scott are/were a a couple. She wanted to rebuild the school and pursuaded Scott to help.

Colossus is still dead (for now)

Nightcrawler, Storm, Rogue, Gambit, Iceman, and the others are still at the school.

Bishop for some reason is off playing cop in the District X title.

Xavier is over on Genosha rebuilding that country, and I think developing a new X-men team from mutants there.

- http://24.188.68.181:8000/emma.html

- died in New X-Men #150

Where's everyone else? I'm talking about the Byrne era X-cast I grew up reading. Colossus (dead, right?), Nightcrawler, Storm, etc.? Other books? Other teams?

- Colossus = dead UXM, #390

- Nightcrawler = still around, he's in Uncanny i believe

- Wolvie = he's everywhere

- Cyclops = now the headmaster of the school

- Storm is in another X team

- umm, who else?

Where's Xavier?

- in Genosha "trying" to rebuild it after Magneto become ruler of the place. It pretty much destroyed after loads of Sentinels attacked it.

How'd Jean Grey "die?"

- sacrificed herself to save Wolvie after they found out Magneto (who was posing as Xorn) lured them into Asteroid M - which was headed straight for the sun)

When did the White Queen become "good?"

- see link on previous Emma question

Genosha is that mutant island?

- yes

- died in New X-Men #150

- umm, who else?

Where's Xavier?

- in Genosha "trying" to rebuild it after Magneto become ruler of the place. It pretty much destroyed after loads of Sentinels attacked it.

How'd Jean Grey "die?"

- sacrificed herself to save Wolvie after they found out Magneto (who was posing as Xorn) lured them into Asteroid M - which was headed straight for the sun)

- yes

And this, mes amis, is why Ultimate X-Men is so enjoyable and why the rest of the X-Men titles have just sucked for so long. Too much cr@p and continuity baggage. The storyline that marked the end of the good times for the X-Men for me was when they "died" and went to Australia to fight the Reavers and whatnot back in the late '80s or so. Since then, it's been one convoluted storyline after another. 893frustrated.gif

BTW X-men #157 fairly good job of showing the new look. Shows who exactly is at the school and who isn't.

..oh yeah, it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread but Juggernaut is a member of the X-men. gossip.gif

I just read Astonishing #1, and I really enjoyed it! I don't read any X-title (I've read a few UXM tpbs) and just picked this one up, like Rob, for the art. Perhaps, being unfamiliar with the past ???-years continuity helped me out in that respect. This title could be a good "jump-on" point for new readers.

I thought the writing was very good. The pacing was excellent. It did a good job of "introducing" the characters (I never knew that Emma Frost was a villain blush.gif) and giving background (Wolvie/Cyclops/Jean drama). The art, of course, was outstanding. I'll be picking up #2 for sure (and not just for the art!).

But what's up with the Puss-n-boots lookin' Beast???

I have no idea why he looks like that. I knew he did though, as he looked the same in a Wizard preview of X-men #??? drawn by Silvestri.

I would guess it's just another mutation that he has gone thru. Can anybody shed some light on this?

But what's up with the Puss-n-boots lookin' Beast???

I have no idea why he looks like that. I knew he did though, as he looked the same in a Wizard preview of X-men #??? drawn by Silvestri.

I would guess it's just another mutation that he has gone thru. Can anybody shed some light on this?

The Beast underwent a "secondary mutation" for some reason (think it might have had something to do with the absolutely horrible "Legacy Virus" storyline). Similarly, Emma Frost underwent a secondary mutation as well (the power to make her skin as hard and shiny as a diamond).

You know what I say to that? Absolute bollocking horse893censored-thumb.gif. Weirdness for the sake of no story value whatsoever. I also hate what they did to Sage (another former Hellfire Club member who now has some really lame powers and works for the good guys). Not to mention, the White Queen's new costume is simply horrible - who can take her seriously when she's drawn like a blow-up doll in an over-sized diaper? Give me the uber-sexy, but serious, dominatrix look from the old days anytime. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

The storyline that marked the end of the good times for the X-Men for me was when they "died" and went to Australia to fight the Reavers and whatnot back in the late '80s or so. Since then, it's been one convoluted storyline after another. 893frustrated.gif

Nail on the head! makepoint.gif

How'd Jean Grey "die?"

Didn't Wolverine "gut" her to give her a quick death? Kinda' remembering the Asteroid heading towards a sun and Wolvey did it so she wouldn't die a slow death by burning up.

How'd Jean Grey "die?"

Didn't Wolverine "gut" her to give her a quick death? Kinda' remembering the Asteroid heading towards a sun and Wolvey did it so she wouldn't die a slow death by burning up.

eh, could be. I didnt actually read Here Comes Tomorrow =P

- died in New X-Men #150

- umm, who else?

Where's Xavier?

How'd Jean Grey "die?"

- yes

And this, mes amis, is why Ultimate X-Men is so enjoyable and why the rest of the X-Men titles have just sucked for so long. Too much cr@p and continuity baggage. The storyline that marked the end of the good times for the X-Men for me was when they "died" and went to Australia to fight the Reavers and whatnot back in the late '80s or so. Since then, it's been one convoluted storyline after another. 893frustrated.gif

As much as people like to complain about the Ultimate titles, my favorite thing about them is that after a ten-year hiatus away from the hobby, I didn't have sift through a decade of [!@#%^&^] to figure out what had happened to the characters I liked during the years that all of those horrible stories were coming out. I am reading the X- titles again after many years of not reading them, and UXM is the only title where I don't put down the issue when I am done with it and say to myself "What the [!@#%^&^] is going on here?"