• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUPERMAN DC TITLES

10 posts in this topic

It was suggested in the General Forum that I ask this question here.

In looking at my copy of MORE FUN #105, Sept/Oct '45, DC shows and promotes only

13 titles that they claim "Comprise the SUPERMAN DC Group"...I wonder what happened

to the rest of the titles?

mm

At that time, DC was actually two separate companies, National and All-American. They had a distribution and marketing agreement that made it look like the comics were all from the same company. They even had two separate offices in New York, as well as different editors. In 1946 they officially merged.

Since your book is from 1945, what you're seeing is a National house ad, showing the National titles and characters. Those titles included Action, Superman, Detective, Batman, More Fun, and Adventure, among others.

All-American titles included All-Star, Flash, All-Flash, Sensation, Wonder Woman, All-American, Green Lantern, and Comic Cavalcade.

There is a brief period when the All American line had their own logo on the covers.A cool AA logotype that I always admired. All American was in some ways the predecessor to EC and you can see that in the visual identities of the earliest EC comics including the Picture Stories issues.

If you are interested in this period of comics history; you might enjoy the book MEN OF TOMORROW.

There is a brief period when the All American line had their own logo on the covers.A cool AA logotype that I always admired. All American was in some ways the predecessor to EC and you can see that in the visual identities of the earliest EC comics including the Picture Stories issues.

If you are interested in this period of comics history; you might enjoy the book MEN OF TOMORROW.

That's just an absolutely great book to read and I loved the stories about the early connections of the powers in the comic industry to the big crime mobs in the early part of the 20th century. (thumbs u

Just looked at my copy of COMIC CAVALCADE #12...the logo on the front cover shows

"AN ALL-AMERICAN PUBLICATION" with 15 cents in the center. Inside the cover they

show the logo with the "AA" along with their ten (10) titles. There is also a promotional

page for EDUCATIONAL COMICS "Picture Stories From The Bible."

mm

Just looked at my copy of COMIC CAVALCADE #12...the logo on the front cover shows

"AN ALL-AMERICAN PUBLICATION" with 15 cents in the center. Inside the cover they

show the logo with the "AA" along with their ten (10) titles. There is also a promotional

page for EDUCATIONAL COMICS "Picture Stories From The Bible."

mm

Probably the earliest Golden Age comic I ever owned was an All American publication. It is a dim memory but in the late sixities or early seventies we picked up some rotting (moldy) books from a junk dealer at a flea market. They were in remarkably horrible condition and I remember being completely weirded out by the strange characters (like Winky Blinky and Nod.) They disintegrated and my last memory of them was at the base of our attic steps behind the attic door. From there I am sure they mercifully made it to the dustbin courtesy of Mom.

The memory lingered though and when I got into collecting and going to shows I got the Jones for a Comic Cavalcade and picked one up at one of the monthly New York Shows. I enjoyed it but wish I had picked up an early Wonder Woman or Sensation instead. Those books are fantastic. The Comic Cavalcade dissapeared over the years; likely in some trade but I don't remember.

Please post your book!