• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob SS Questions

58 posts in this topic

Planning on submitting a few books at Heroescon for signature series and I had a couple of questions:

1. What's the fee for submitting a book for SS designation?

2. How does the process work? Do you drop off books at the CGC booth and they handle the signature or do you make them aware that you want a signature, they follow you to the creator and watch as you present the book for signing?

My experince if you are going to show yourself. Go to booth telll them what you want to do fill out paperwork. Make sure all books are preped in advance for signature. Here is info on the prep

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2947137#Post2947137

They follow you, they watch it get signed they take it. The on to the next one. Now if you have a long line they will come back and see where u are it in line. But if you are like maybe 6 guys away from creator and u dont see cgc guy. Have a buddy find one so it can be witnessed. The cgc guys are all great easy going and very very patient. I believe its $28 a book plus the $5 invoce fee, then shipping too and if u want to fast track them.

Im sure others will chime in with better info then me goodluck its addicting. I started doing cgc sigs about a month or so ago and have had about 18 submitted so far to at shows most through CAW (certifed authorized witness)

It used to be you could just drop the books off at CGC and they did all the work for you. Excellent customer service! But as busy as they were I didn't think it could last long.

I thought I read a rep saying the stopped doing that. Can someone confirm?

I will only add that you should make sure you do it the right way. I watched a guy walk up to the CGC booth (comic in hand!) saying, "I need a witness." It was too late. It was already signed and he already carried the comic away from the guy who signed it. Pictures don't work, and neither does asking the artist, "hey, did you sign this?" They have to witness it.

They follow you, they watch it get signed they take it. The on to the next one. Now if you have a long line they will come back and see where u are it in line. But if you are like maybe 6 guys away from creator and u dont see cgc guy. Have a buddy find one so it can be witnessed. The cgc guys are all great easy going and very very patient. I believe its $28 a book plus the $5 invoce fee, then shipping too and if u want to fast track them.

Thanks for the info!

I guess I had always wondered considering how long some lines for some creators can get if they actually just stood there the entire time or not.

So its $33 a book, plus priority shipping?

Thanks for the info!

I guess I had always wondered considering how long some lines for some creators can get if they actually just stood there the entire time or not.

So its $33 a book, plus priority shipping?

Pricing is based upon age and value of the book, just like every other CGC service. The base 28 is for a modern comic.

Don't mean to jack a thread but since my concern relates to the topic. Does the tips mentioned above goes the same for sketches? I have some pre-con sketches to be picked up at Wondercon, so I just go to the CGC booth and ask for someone to go with me as a witness right? Coz I read somewhere that CGC needs to witness a blank actually being handed over to the artist, as well as picking it up - which kinda doesn't work for me if the sketch was done before the event. Do I fill out the CGC form as if it's a regular SS submission? And should I fill out before or after sketch pick up? Thanks!

Don't mean to jack a thread but since my concern relates to the topic. Does the tips mentioned above goes the same for sketches? I have some pre-con sketches to be picked up at Wondercon, so I just go to the CGC booth and ask for someone to go with me as a witness right? Coz I read somewhere that CGC needs to witness a blank actually being handed over to the artist, as well as picking it up - which kinda doesn't work for me if the sketch was done before the event. Do I fill out the CGC form as if it's a regular SS submission? And should I fill out before or after sketch pick up? Thanks!

You only need to grab the CGC witness before you get the sketch from the artist, just make sure it's done though.

Also just fill out the form at the CGC table after you pick it up, you can fill it out before if you want with the SS Submission form too. [thumbsup]

It used to be you could just drop the books off at CGC and they did all the work for you. Excellent customer service! But as busy as they were I didn't think it could last long.

I thought I read a rep saying the stopped doing that. Can someone confirm?

I will only add that you should make sure you do it the right way. I watched a guy walk up to the CGC booth (comic in hand!) saying, "I need a witness." It was too late. It was already signed and he already carried the comic away from the guy who signed it. Pictures don't work, and neither does asking the artist, "hey, did you sign this?" They have to witness it.

Glad I saw this. I was going to ask about this in a new thread. I wondered even if the artist said, "Yes, I signed this right in my own studio last week," would CGC accept it. I figured since the date could not be verified, thus not being able to be noted on the label, that it would still be unlikely.

But while I'm on the subject, if a sig is on the inside of the book would CGC quote (on the green label) what is written if it's legible?

Thanks spawnfiend :)

I wasn't sure what the "rule" is. I'm sure I've seen things like "John Byrne written on 1st page" or something along those lines, as well as "name written on 1st page." I thought maybe if CGC were able to easily read what is written they'd quote it, as a rule. hm

Have others seen examples of both? Are there often exceptions to the rules? I recall a SA key graded at 4.5, but it had a photocopied cover (can't remember which one- my brain cell is still trippin' on DiceX's new GIF). Maybe that was a fluke. I'm going OT again.

I'll probably try to contact CGC directly and see what they say. I'd sure like a little clarity on this before I submit my high grades for a GLOD.

Thanks spawnfiend :)

I wasn't sure what the "rule" is. I'm sure I've seen things like "John Byrne written on 1st page" or something along those lines, as well as "name written on 1st page." I thought maybe if CGC were able to easily read what is written they'd quote it, as a rule. hm

Have others seen examples of both? Are there often exceptions to the rules? I recall a SA key graded at 4.5, but it had a photocopied cover (can't remember which one- my brain cell is still trippin' on DiceX's new GIF). Maybe that was a fluke. I'm going OT again.

I'll probably try to contact CGC directly and see what they say. I'd sure like a little clarity on this before I submit my high grades for a GLOD.

I have a purple label X-Men 1 in which the note reads "Jack Kirby written on first page" as well as a blue label Usagi Yojimbo Sketchbook 1 in which the note reads "Signed by Stan Sakai on first page". I'm not sure why some books get the name mentioned specifically and why some just say "name written".

Wow :o

That's not good at all.

Pass :(

Doubtful I'll pay those fees without knowing what rule they'll use on my books.

Blue Label with "Signed by Stan Sakai on first page." ???

I have owned tons of books that were blue label with an indication that there was an unwitnessed interior sig. It is treated as a very minor defect and it is noted because it cannot be seen. It is consistent with CGC long standing policy.

What determines when the name is spelled out on the label and when they just write "name written"? Is it really as simple as being able to read the signature or not being able to? By this I mean non-witnessed, non-yellow label sigs.

What determines when the name is spelled out on the label and when they just write "name written"? Is it really as simple as being able to read the signature or not being able to? By this I mean non-witnessed, non-yellow label sigs.

That I cannot speak to with any certainty. It seems kind of random.

Wow :o

That's not good at all.

Pass :(

Doubtful I'll pay those fees without knowing what rule they'll use on my books.

Blue Label with "Signed by Stan Sakai on first page." ???

If you use their witnesses correctly they'll get the yellow SS label.

I'm the only witness to the signings lol

That I cannot speak to with any certainty. It seems kind of random.

Again, it sounds like contacting them directly is the best way to find out.