• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob SS Questions

58 posts in this topic

But we've seen blue labels with interior sigs getting different comments on the label:

1) "Name written on first page."

2) "Jacky Kirby written on first page."

3) "Signed by Stan Sakai on first page."

Just trying to learn what earns which type of comment.

I imagine "name written on" means the name cannot be clearly read, like with Frank Miller's signature.

I'm also assuming there's no substantive difference between 2 and 3. It could just be that the wording isn't standardized, or that the standard for the wording changed. Perhaps someone decided later that "signed" is inadvertently giving legitimacy to the signature, so they changed the wording.

I kind of figured that for the "name written on", I'm just waiting to "hear" CGC say it. :)

And I pretty much agree with you (on the highlighted). I'd much rather get option 3 rather than 2, but I can understand the change.

I realize changes are going to happen over the years. Hopefully CGC can clarify what today's rules are.

But we've seen blue labels with interior sigs getting different comments on the label:

I imagine "name written on" means the name cannot be clearly read, like with Frank Miller's signature.

I'm also assuming there's no substantive difference between 2 and 3. It could just be that the wording isn't standardized, or that the standard for the wording changed. Perhaps someone decided later that "signed" is inadvertently giving legitimacy to the signature, so they changed the wording.

I kind of figured that for the "name written on", I'm just waiting to "hear" CGC say it. :)

And I pretty much agree with you (on the highlighted). I'd much rather get option 3 rather than 2, but I can understand the change.

I realize changes are going to happen over the years. Hopefully CGC can clarify what today's rules are.

True, but "Bob Smith written on" is more honest and accurate than, "signed by." The blue label clearly indicates CGC cannot affirm its authenticity.

Oops, I goofed. The actual note on the UY sketchbook reads, '"Stan Sakai 361/750" & sketch on interior cover.'

It makes sense that CGC wouldn't use the words "signed by" unless witnessed. It is interesting that they acknowledge the sketch as a "sketch" rather than "random lines drawn all over it".

Oops, I goofed. The actual note on the UY sketchbook reads, '"Stan Sakai 361/750" & sketch on interior cover.'

It makes sense that CGC wouldn't use the words "signed by" unless witnessed. It is interesting that they acknowledge the sketch as a "sketch" rather than "random lines drawn all over it".

It's also interesting that on sketched blanks they downgrade the comic if the artist accidentally gets ink on the back cover. I mean, what if the artist says, "F*** you b**** that's abstract art!"

It's also interesting that on sketched blanks they downgrade the comic if the artist accidentally gets ink on the back cover. I mean, what if the artist says, "F*** you b**** that's abstract art!"

You know, that's...that's a good point.

How do you know which artists/writers are scheduled to sign at a show? I'm going to WonderCon for the first time this year and want to take some books along to have signed. The WonderCon website has an "autographs" link, but there are no comic creators listed. There is also a "special guests" link but there's nothing to indicate they will be doing autographs. http://www.comic-con.org/wc/wc_guests.php

Those special guests will most likely have booths.

Comic artists are in the Artists Alley

How do you know which artists/writers are scheduled to sign at a show? I'm going to WonderCon for the first time this year and want to take some books along to have signed. The WonderCon website has an "autographs" link, but there are no comic creators listed. There is also a "special guests" link but there's nothing to indicate they will be doing autographs. http://www.comic-con.org/wc/wc_guests.php

The honest truth is that it's never 100% clear which artists/writers are scheduled to sign at a show, but here are some ways to make good guesses:

1) If an artist or writer is assigned a table in the Artist Alley (and the Artist Alley list for WonderCon is now available on their website) it is a good bet that they will be available at their table throughout the weekend and be able to sign a book. There are the occasional exceptions, like Jim Lee, who used to get a table but was rarely at it because any announced time for him at that table would equal a long and aisle-blocking line.

2) The week or two before the show, comic publishers will announce signing schedules for their booth. At that point, you will know which artists/writers are scheduled to be at which booth. There may be some rules, like a ticket or wristband has to be gotten before the signing begins, but hopefully that info will be available with the announcement.

3) WonderCon will post an Autograph schedule for their comic book writers/artists, that usually occur after their spotlight panel, and it's mixed in with all the other celebrity signings like the Honky Tonk Man and others. You have to keep checking the website.

In the end, it involves a lot of on-the-spot hunting, looking, asking questions, and being open to standing in lines. There's a lot more that goes into what people do to find out who is actually going to sign autographs at a show, but I figured this was enough to get started. :) Currently, if you find out someone is signing, you can go to CGC and request a witness accompany you to that signing. Or you can turn to a facilitator, and they will hunt, stalk, etc. to get the book signed. I believe those are your only 2 options.

True, but "Bob Smith written on" is more honest and accurate than, "signed by." The blue label clearly indicates CGC cannot affirm its authenticity.

From CGC yesterday:

The 1st issue involves weather an unwitnessed written name is legible or not. If the name can be discerned, then the CGC label will usually include the actual name, (e.g. "JOHN ROMITA" WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.) If the name cannot be discerned, even if the graders recognize who's signature it is, they will simply put "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER."

The 2nd issue is in regards to weather an unwitnessed signature is on the cover or on the 1st page (or any page for that matter.) If the signature is on the 1st page, the book will still get a blue label with a note stating that there is a name written on the 1st page, and it will be treated as a defect and factored into the grade. If the unwitnessed signature is on the cover, and the book is otherwise high grade, it will be qualified. If the book is mid or lower grade, it will get a blue label and be downgraded. In both cases, the name would still be mentioned on the label.

From CGC yesterday:

The 1st issue involves weather an unwitnessed written name is legible or not. If the name can be discerned, then the CGC label will usually include the actual name, (e.g. "JOHN ROMITA" WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.) If the name cannot be discerned, even if the graders recognize who's signature it is, they will simply put "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER."

The 2nd issue is in regards to weather an unwitnessed signature is on the cover or on the 1st page (or any page for that matter.) If the signature is on the 1st page, the book will still get a blue label with a note stating that there is a name written on the 1st page, and it will be treated as a defect and factored into the grade. If the unwitnessed signature is on the cover, and the book is otherwise high grade, it will be qualified. If the book is mid or lower grade, it will get a blue label and be downgraded. In both cases, the name would still be mentioned on the label.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5487720#Post5487720

Which is consistent with what they told me, although I think better would be if they specificy what the cutoff is for "high grade."

I got an email from Mr. Downton saying that what is put on the label ("Name written on... or Jack Kirby Written on...")

is entirely up to the grader, and that there is no way of telling who will comment what whenever a book is graded. He

did state however that if the name is iconic like Kirby-Adams-Barker, the label will probably (not guaranteed) mention

the name.

Roll the dice twice (grade-comment) :)

Here is an interesting question for everyone. My latest sketch is coming from Stuart Sayger and is posted over in the Opp thread on him. I have the Bane sketch on the Batman German blank.

For him to get the crappy blank to take a sketch in his words, "I tried erasing the front before drawing, I even sandpapered the front of one in an attempt to make the paper more receptive to inks... Nothing i tried seemed to work... The Bane cover was so difficult and demanding that I varnished the cover when it was finished to help hold all the inks/ paints together... ( that's why it is shiny in the photo)"

So what do we think CGC will grade this book? Yellow label with a 5.0ish grade, or possibly considered "restored" in some manner getting me the sexy purple/yellow label? Will I be the first person to ever have a book slabbed covered in varnish? :insane:

I can't wait to get the sketch in hand back from CGC but it will be wild to see how they handle it. At least mine doesn't have bullet holes in it. lol

I saw that comment and wondered the same thing. If they are going to downgrade it for the erasing/sandpapering/varnishing they should go all out and drop it down to a 0.5. That would be great to have a 0.5 atop an otherwise perfect book adorned in a beautiful Bane sketch. It would be kitschy.

I heard some talk that any sketchcover that had any type of "fixative" that was used to hold the pencils, paints whatever, would be downgraded but I have not seen it with my own eyes.

I heard some talk that any sketchcover that had any type of "fixative" that was used to hold the pencils, paints whatever, would be downgraded but I have not seen it with my own eyes.

lol

I really want the purple/yellow label. That would be amazing.