• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob SS Questions

58 posts in this topic

What determines when the name is spelled out on the label and when they just write "name written"? Is it really as simple as being able to read the signature or not being able to? By this I mean non-witnessed, non-yellow label sigs.

That I cannot speak to with any certainty. It seems kind of random.

Again, it sounds like contacting them directly is the best way to find out.

I'm not stopping you. :baiting:

And so I did ;) This is what Nicole says,

"If there is an signature that has not been witnessed it will get a green label.

If the signature is on the interior it will get a blue label and the book will be down graded. If the signature is on the cover it is a qualified, green label, unless the book is low grade enough and we will down grade for the signature that is on the cover."

Seems clear enough :)

"If there is an signature that has not been witnessed it will get a green label.

If the signature is on the interior it will get a blue label and the book will be down graded. If the signature is on the cover it is a qualified, green label, unless the book is low grade enough and we will down grade for the signature that is on the cover."

hm My Usagi sketchbook with the Sakai note is a blue label 9.8. Did it downgrade from a 9.9?

Not really. Apparently you didn't ask the question about the notes as to when they will list the person's name and when the just say "name written on cover." Which, coincidentally, was the ONLY aspect of this entire scenario that wasn't discussed in this thread. Bravo.

Here's two other scenario's I'm curious about;

1. What if you have an up until now unwitnessed book w/ many signatures and sketches, then you turn this same book in for CGC SS for a a convention and get one new signature witnessed. Will the book then get a yellow label or green label?

2. Similiar, but slightly different scenario...What if you turn in a prior Green label book (for an unwitnessed sig), get it cracked and signed at a con, witnessed by CGC SS for an additional signature, will you then end up w/ a yellow label?

Great thread, lots of good info

Not really. Apparently you didn't ask the question about the notes as to when they will list the person's name and when the just say "name written on cover." Which, coincidentally, was the ONLY aspect of this entire scenario that wasn't discussed in this thread. Bravo.

:o

doh!

Actually, I did bring it up in my question-

-I have a question about signatures unwitnessed by CGC. I've seen books earn Green labels for signatures, stating "Name written on first page" as well as (for example) "Jack Kirby written on first page."

But I finished my email with-

- As another example, if you received a book you grade as 9.6, and on the first page is written, "Sincerely, George Perez", what label would it get?

So I'll try this again.

hm My Usagi sketchbook with the Sakai note is a blue label 9.8. Did it downgrade from a 9.9?

lol I went back and looked at your post about the sketchbook. I assume the sig is on the inside, so by Nicole's definition it was a 9.9

Bummer.

So while we may never know what the label will say until we get them back, we can expect (in theory) that an interior sig will be downgraded and an exterior sig will get a GLOD.

I'm sure someone will show up with something that contradicts this :)

1- its a mixture of the qualified label and yellow ss label, only the sketch or sig being witnessed gets noted on the label, the other sigs or sketches will probably drop the grade though.

2- its the same thing as 1

There is no such thing as a mixture of qualified label and yellow label. The Yellow label is a very specific type of Qualified label.

In both of the scenarios above, the book will receive the Yellow label, and each unwitnessed signature will be counted as a defect and reflected in the grade received.

I don't mean to be unduly harsh to anyone, but if you don't know what you are talking about, just keep reading and enjoying the Boards rather than put out bad information.

1- its a mixture of the qualified label and yellow ss label, only the sketch or sig being witnessed gets noted on the label, the other sigs or sketches will probably drop the grade though.

There is no such thing as a mixture of qualified label and yellow label. The Yellow label is a very specific type of Qualified label.

In both of the scenarios above, the book will receive the Yellow label, and each unwitnessed signature will be counted as a defect and reflected in the grade received.

I don't mean to be unduly harsh to anyone, but if you don't know what you are talking about, just keep reading and enjoying the Boards rather than put out bad information.

Understood that was my bad, right after I wrote it I was like, I think thats wrong,[doh]

Sorry, won't happen again

Understood that was my bad, right after I wrote it I was like, I think thats wrong,[doh]

It's all good, bud. You have come in as a hard core SS supporter! :foryou:

But it is important with all these new converts (and, quite frankly, all these threads that ask the same questions over and over and over) to get the right answers out there so folks can get educated and start really enjoying the hobby.

How do you know which artists/writers are scheduled to sign at a show? I'm going to WonderCon for the first time this year and want to take some books along to have signed. The WonderCon website has an "autographs" link, but there are no comic creators listed. There is also a "special guests" link but there's nothing to indicate they will be doing autographs. http://www.comic-con.org/wc/wc_guests.php

But it is important with all these new converts (and, quite frankly, all these threads that ask the same questions over and over and over) to get the right answers out there so folks can get educated and start really enjoying the hobby.

No doubt, I remember when I first started, I didn't know anything. I also didn't know about this website, so I was totally lost [ohnoez], and bad inforrmation is the worst to have.

:eek: Glad this isn't my thread.

:foryou:

Seriously, though. The answer, to my question anyway, doesn't seem to be forthcoming. I'm hoping my last inquiry to CGC will answer it. It's enough that we have to wonder what grade we'll get for our submissions without also having to wonder what comments we'll get.

I'm not into yellow SS as much as you guys, but I do have many high grade books I had signed by the artist/inker that I'd consider slabbing once I know what to expect.

Seriously, though. The answer, to my question anyway, doesn't seem to be forthcoming. I'm hoping my last inquiry to CGC will answer it. It's enough that we have to wonder what grade we'll get for our submissions without also having to wonder what comments we'll get.

I'm not into yellow SS as much as you guys, but I do have many high grade books I had signed by the artist/inker that I'd consider slabbing once I know what to expect.

Please allow me to clear up all of this confusion.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=5060310&Searchpage=1&Main=233569&Words=+USArmyParatrooper&topic=0&Search=true#Post5060310

If the book has a signature on the front and is of a low grade it will receive a Blue, Universal label and the signature will affect the grade of the book (depending on the size, how much it disrupts the cover etc.). If the signature is on the interior of the book only, then it will receive a Blue Universal label regardless of grade and the signature will affect the grade of the book (less than if it were on the cover, however).

The one example of interior sigs I've seen was a TMNT 1 I almost bought with a blue label 9.4. It had (paraphrasing) "Sketch and 'Kevin Eastman' written on interior cover in ink" annotated on the label. Being that it was a 9.4 I can't imagine it took too hard of a hit.

But we've seen blue labels with interior sigs getting different comments on the label:

1) "Name written on first page."

2) "Jacky Kirby written on first page."

3) "Signed by Stan Sakai on first page."

Just trying to learn what earns which type of comment.

But we've seen blue labels with interior sigs getting different comments on the label:

1) "Name written on first page."

2) "Jacky Kirby written on first page."

3) "Signed by Stan Sakai on first page."

Just trying to learn what earns which type of comment.

I imagine "name written on" means the name cannot be clearly read, like with Frank Miller's signature.

I'm also assuming there's no substantive difference between 2 and 3. It could just be that the wording isn't standardized, or that the standard for the wording changed. Perhaps someone decided later that "signed" is inadvertently giving legitimacy to the signature, so they changed the wording.