• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Strange Tales #167

11 posts in this topic

Hello. I've got a book here that has stumped me a little bit. It's a really beautiful copy of Strange Tales #167. it's got a non color breaking wrinkle/bend on the bottom left along the spine, but otherwise it's great...

...except the printer who made the comic appears to have used a rusty hatchet to trim the book when it was published. As you can see, the edge is somewhat jagged from top to bottom. This isn't realy Marvel chipping; it extends throughout the entire book. They must have had an exceptionally dull blade on the trimmer that day.

I really don't know how that affects the grade so I am hoping wiser heads will know. Thanks for looking:

SCAN0166.jpg

st167back.jpg

st167edge.jpg

Is it possible someone tried to do some amateur work on the book (trying to trim the edge the self?)

I don't think so, but trimming is beyond my knowledge really. I don't fully understand how to tell a trimmed book from a non-trimmed book to begin with. It looks natural to me, though; I'm actually surprised that it wasn't trimmed by someone at some point considering how rough the edge is.

i've read that some of the titles (maybe this was one of them) got printed/trimmed last and therefore they had shaggy edges. press out that crease and i think you might be looking at a 8.5. originally said 9.0, but looked at my 8.0 and yours is only slightly better.