• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,554 posts in this topic

I was happy to help Shieldagent with the last issue ( a western) he needed which he picked up in person. Not a club member but a long time supporter.

Its good to have friends in Baltimore if you are on the lookout for 30 cent variants.

Ed, you ended my pain of searching. I was on one book for over a year.

thanks again (find me more--I am still hoarding)

(worship)

Thank You everyone for your support this will be an ongoing hunt there will be a budget so I figure get the easy ones then concentrate on those teases later.

Well how picky can one be on condition BTW I would like to have decent copies (Fine or better ?). I know there probably is certain ones where this could be difficult at least, But all you hoarders need to quit stock pilling and let me get my lol

nanoc

It will take several years to get all the western, horror and reprint titles so keep your eyes open but pick and choose your E-bay battles. There will be frustration and disappointment along with nice surprises and cheap finds... remember this is a marathon and not a sprint!

This right here is your best advice. I highly recommend scouring flea markets and trade shows. Found a few that way. Your local shops depending on location will also have a few and many times wont know it.

Occasionally you will find a one owner collection that will have alot of them. It has only happened to me once and all I found was a collection of about 30 low grade 30 centers. It was still fun to find so many at once.

There are out there dig dig dig. While I am currently not actively routing out 30/35 centers I must thank my sad addiction to this chase to ShieldAgent. Had I known it would take me another 3 years to find another X-men 106 35 center I would have never sold him my first one. :censored:

So that brings up my last point. You may get lucky like me a few times and find a hard to find one or a small stash dont confuse luck with them being easy to find. Even the easiest's 35 centers are not easy to find. When we talk about scarcity keep in mind we are talking about many times less then 10 copies known or even books with higher circulations may only have 50 known copies.

Have fun its a blast and probably the best challenge I have ever took in my comic book collecting careet.

PS - Just for those thinking it I am still not chasing the whole set just some of the books I think are neat finds or part of collection addiction.

I just wanted to keep you posted as I had a pretty good haul this week as follows:

Adventures on the Planet of Apes 5 VG

Astonishing Tales 35 F

Avengers 147 VG

Avengers 148 VG+

Avengers 149 VG+

Captain America 200 VF

Captain Marvel 45 F ?

Daredevil 134 F ?

Daredevil 135 F

Defenders 38 VG

Doctor Strange 15 VF ?

Fantastic Four 172 VG+

Inhumans 6 F

Iron Fist 5 VF

Ironman 86 VF ?

Kull 16 VF+ ?

Marvel Feature 4 NM ?

Marvel Team-up 44 VG+

Marvel Team-up 45 VG -

Marvel Team-up 46 VG-

Marvel Team-up 47 VG & F-

Powerman 31 VF ?

Powerman 33 VF ?

Thor 248 F

The ? is just that until I have them in hand.

25 Books total for one week Crom!

nanoc

sooo...did anyone bid on those X-Men 30c variants in the CL focused auction last week?

pretty strong prices. and by "pretty strong prices," i of course mean $401 for a 98 (red label) 8.0 and $376 for a 99 (red label) 8.5.

yowza. both books look undergraded yes, but the 98 went above GPA for a 9.2. (worship)

That is a really nice looking 98 for an 8.0... looks like at least a 9.0 to me. The 99 is nice but one of my pet peeves is the "cut off" starburst on the top and X-Men #99 is one of those that are hard to find with a complete starburst. All the ones I've bought had at least a portion of that top starburst missing.

Sal, it is too bad that CL auctions aren't recorded in the GPA. Pretty strong prices, yes, but not over GPA for a 9.2. Also, those regular X-Men issues have several up arrows on the GPA and the variants don't trade very often. I agree with metarog that those two copies look undergraded and I bid on both those issues in the auction, and was surprised at the prices. I didn't bid on the 100 as I wasn't sure about the foxing on the inside back cover. Here are my thoughts on the two books.

GPA information

Issue 98 30 cent variant (Averages go back to 2002)

9.2 Last sale $585 in February 2006 The average is $432.50 on two trades.

9.0 Last sale $199.90 in October 2005. The average is $215.15 on four trades.

8.5 Last sale $203.50 in March 2007. The average is $188.19 for five trades.

8.0 Last sale $138.39 in July 2004. The average is $ $145.95 for two trades.

So using the last sale information on the 98, the book traded between 9.0 to 9.2 prices but I suspect that a 9.2 might go higher today than in February 2006 and the 9.0 would definately go higher today than in 2005 if the 2007 sale of the 8.5 is an indication of the market. The seller was very happy with his return if he bought the 8.0 book for $140 three and half years ago. I believe that the new buyer will resubmit the book and get a bump to 8.5 or 9.0. In three years, absent the finding of some massive warehouse find or the release of Darthdiesel's rumored long boxes of variant X-Men (just kidding, Darth), I think that the new buyer might do as well or better than the previous owner. I should also note that I think that I was the GPA buyer on the 8.5, so I don't always pay a lot of attention to GPA on books that I want.

Issue 99 30 cent variant (Averages go back to 2002)

9.2 Last sale $811.99 in February 2007. The average is $627.33 on three trades.

9.0 Last sale $305 in July 2007. The average is $273.75 on five trades.

8.5 Last sale $199.99 in February 2006. The average is $172.75 on two trades.

I can't see the back cover since it is a CLink bid, but I bid 9.0 money on the book because it looked nice. I don't know who bought the book, but I suspect that they will be very happy with the purchase. In the meantime, I guess I will have to stick with the lowly 7.5 that Beyonder sold me. (But he did get Dave Cockrum's signature on it for me.)

In three years, absent the finding of some massive warehouse find or the release of Darthdiesel's rumored long boxes of variant X-Men (just kidding, Darth),

I am not kidding, but daffy06 probably has a longbox full--I have seen the pictures

Sal, it is too bad that CL auctions aren't recorded in the GPA. Pretty strong prices, yes, but not over GPA for a 9.2. Also, those regular X-Men issues have several up arrows on the GPA and the variants don't trade very often. I agree with metarog that those two copies look undergraded and I bid on both those issues in the auction, and was surprised at the prices. I didn't bid on the 100 as I wasn't sure about the foxing on the inside back cover. Here are my thoughts on the two books.

GPA information

Issue 98 30 cent variant (Averages go back to 2002)

9.2 Last sale $585 in February 2006 The average is $432.50 on two trades.

9.0 Last sale $199.90 in October 2005. The average is $215.15 on four trades.

8.5 Last sale $203.50 in March 2007. The average is $188.19 for five trades.

8.0 Last sale $138.39 in July 2004. The average is $ $145.95 for two trades.

So using the last sale information on the 98, the book traded between 9.0 to 9.2 prices but I suspect that a 9.2 might go higher today than in February 2006 and the 9.0 would definately go higher today than in 2005 if the 2007 sale of the 8.5 is an indication of the market. The seller was very happy with his return if he bought the 8.0 book for $140 three and half years ago. I believe that the new buyer will resubmit the book and get a bump to 8.5 or 9.0. In three years, absent the finding of some massive warehouse find or the release of Darthdiesel's rumored long boxes of variant X-Men (just kidding, Darth), I think that the new buyer might do as well or better than the previous owner. I should also note that I think that I was the GPA buyer on the 8.5, so I don't always pay a lot of attention to GPA on books that I want.

Issue 99 30 cent variant (Averages go back to 2002)

9.2 Last sale $811.99 in February 2007. The average is $627.33 on three trades.

9.0 Last sale $305 in July 2007. The average is $273.75 on five trades.

8.5 Last sale $199.99 in February 2006. The average is $172.75 on two trades.

I can't see the back cover since it is a CLink bid, but I bid 9.0 money on the book because it looked nice. I don't know who bought the book, but I suspect that they will be very happy with the purchase. In the meantime, I guess I will have to stick with the lowly 7.5 that Beyonder sold me. (But he did get Dave Cockrum's signature on it for me.)

yeah the 9.2 price was a guess, as i dropped out at around 240 for the 98. i didn't bid on the 100 for the same reason as you, and the price reflected that others thought the same way.

a back cover scan would have been nice, but the seller obviously didn't need them. i wonder how many other HG copies of those 3 are out there, given Metarog's statement above

It will be interesting to see what the 9.2 white paged x-men 99 is going to go for in the January C-link auction. It is still listed with a BIN of $800 on the site.

If I had a long box of variants, I would be holding on to them too.

Hello to all the variant collectors out there that I've run across in years past. I gave up collecting variants a few years ago after having been one of the first variant collectors. It was fun in the early days discovering what might be out there.

Anyway, I decided to sell off the last of my variant collection and listed 30 of them on eBay last week. I held some of the nicest ones back to possibly get graded. For anyone who's interested, I've listed the remaining books in the Marketplace... Send me a PM if you'd like to purchase any of them.

Edited by comiconxion