• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,557 posts in this topic

Why would someone slab those two books in those grades?

Because they are virtually impossible to find in any condition? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think originally to get them on the census as existing..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes and Ill add to that. Probably to give the books a little more credibility when selling. Everyone here I guess seems to bid much higher on a book slabbed 5.5 versus a ebay seller selling a raw copy in the same grade. I can understand why too as it catches most restoration, defects most average sellers/buyers wont catch or dont know to look for, and the average ebay seller just doesnt grade that well. Not saying its perfect, but do the math you have a very rare book that there are only 2 or 3 existing copies of.(One of them only has 1) You have a pool of say 50 buyers(For argument's sake it mayb higher/lower) who are all looking to complete their 35 variant set. You sell one unslabbed and you sell the other copy slabbed you are probably looking at a sizable difference money wise.

Hey gang,

I know I have not posted in awhile..

got scammed over the weekend , first of all take a look at this picture:

1498388-22ndpicture.jpg

Now I am pretty good at spotting these,,,,

In fact, the seller called me to ask me about buying a second set from him..

I asked him after making my initial bid, what the cover prices were, and he said they are all 30 centers, I actually asked him was he sure, because the picture sure looks like there is a 35 cent cover price on issue 1, he got kind of quiet, and then said no, but alot of people had asked him about that , which he said he answered...

Unfortunately, I won the auction, and I then get the invoice and the *spoon* adds on $102.00 to the price with no explanation!!!!

Take a look at the picture and let me know in your opinion, if you can spot the variant!

Thanks, frank

1498388-22ndpicture.jpg.778e6b24134e5367d44b3719586c44df.jpg

Edited by comichunter

Hey gang,

I know I have not posted in awhile..

got scammed over the weekend , first of all take a look at this picture:

1498388-22ndpicture.jpg

Now I am pretty good at spotting these,,,,

In fact, the seller called me to ask me about buying a second set from him..

I asked him after making my initial bid, what the cover prices were, and he said they are all 30 centers, I actually asked him was he sure, because the picture sure looks like there is a 35 cent cover price on issue 1, he got kind of quiet, and then said no, but alot of people had asked him about that , which he said he answered...

Unfortunately, I won the auction, and I then get the invoice and the *spoon* adds on $102.00 to the price with no explanation!!!!

Take a look at the picture and let me know in your opinion, if you can spot the variant!

Thanks, frank

.35 #1 can also be the reprint. 1-3 came in a bag with 35 cent covers and the word reprint on them near the price and number

.35 #1 can also be the reprint. 1-3 came in a bag with 35 cent covers and the word reprint on them near the price and number

No such animal.

yeah, don't the SW reprints have a blank UPC code box, anyway?

No such animal.

yeah, don't the SW reprints have a blank UPC code box, anyway?

And the Diamond price tag. thumbsup2.gif

Or get it here for 2$. I thought it to be rarer than that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Star-Wars-11-...VQQcmdZViewItem

It isn't rare because it is not a price variant. All Marvels were priced at 35 cents by this time. It is a variant because it has the diamond rather than the square box price. The difference being direct sales and news stand. Some people refer to these as Marvel Whitmans. The Star Wars fat diamond variants are pretty easy to come by, but some of the other Fat diamond Variants are pretty hard to find in higher grade. Such as, X-men #118.