• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,572 posts in this topic

I watched that pretty closely, I bid at 420.00 with 15 seconds left, thought I actually had a shot . lol!!

Without a doubt one of the hardest to find I think only one on the census and maybe 3 known total?

The seller had no clue the rarity so his listing was vague.Some Dork tipped him off.

He updated the listing generated some interest so me and a few others couldnt steal a deal!!

so, here is the real story. I saw the book right after it was listed. lucky timing, I guess. I bid, as I usually do. Then I sent an email where I told the seller that I had one, but was asking if he had any more variants besides the defenders that he had listed.

the seller wrote me back and told me he had recieved a large offer for the book, and since I already have one, would I mind if he took that offer. I then told him the sales prices of the last two copies to show up on ebay, and their grades. Then I blogged about the book at variantmafia.com.

I guess that makes me the dork, because the seller chose to put up bigger scans.

No offense! :foryou: I used the term "Dork" In the nicest way..you know.. it was a term of endearmant. In other words I used the word "Dork" as Greggy would use it! :angel:

:foryou:

I have been called worse

I watched that pretty closely, I bid at 420.00 with 15 seconds left, thought I actually had a shot . lol!!

Without a doubt one of the hardest to find I think only one on the census and maybe 3 known total?

The seller had no clue the rarity so his listing was vague.Some Dork tipped him off.

He updated the listing generated some interest so me and a few others couldnt steal a deal!!

so, here is the real story. I saw the book right after it was listed. lucky timing, I guess. I bid, as I usually do. Then I sent an email where I told the seller that I had one, but was asking if he had any more variants besides the defenders that he had listed.

the seller wrote me back and told me he had recieved a large offer for the book, and since I already have one, would I mind if he took that offer. I then told him the sales prices of the last two copies to show up on ebay, and their grades. Then I blogged about the book at variantmafia.com.

I guess that makes me the dork, because the seller chose to put up bigger scans.

No offense! :foryou: I used the term "Dork" In the nicest way..you know.. it was a term of endearmant. In other words I used the word "Dork" as Greggy would use it! :angel:

I have been called worse

Nerd

I have been called worse

Nerd

:insane:

Can anyone tell me what the demand is for 30 cent variants compared to 35 cent variants..? is there a difference in distribution quantities between the two prices, or does really just depend on title/ book and not really the prices? I usually see 30 centers selling for a bit less than the 35 centers. Thanks..

Edited by Twistty1

I'm no expert but I'm sure a few of the pro's will chime in but I believe the 35 centers are much more rare. If you go on the Variant Mafia website and check out the stats on 35 centers most of the issues have an estimated 15-25 known copies. I'm pretty sure there are much more 30 centers floating around.

A couple more, not high grade of course but thats fine with me!

th_scan0002-4.jpg

th_scan0001-5.jpg

Where do you find the raw books? Hard to find in Canada I think, unless a dealer happens to bring some in a box at a con. eBay books seem expensive too

Ebay is where I have won any variants I OWN.

haha....that would be nice, but knowing me I'd probably keep it, unless I had two...This is waht eh article said...

"How do I know these FOOM-advertised books don't exist? Because FOOM was direct advertising for nonexistant things to come. And because I just can't see anyone at Marvel saying, "Gee, I wonder if we can sell these for less than 35¢?" After researching 1977 Marvels to my satisfaction, I questioned a few of the people in the comics industry who I thought might possibly have heard of (or run across) price anomalies. Bill Alexander reminded me of the 35¢ variant of Iron Fist #15. Thanks, Bill! Robert Beerbohm told me that Marvel was definitely testing the market because they didn't want to suffer the same loss in sales that DC comics suffered from the shift to 35¢. Bob saw some of the 35¢ variants , and claims to vaguely remember some 25¢ variants of 20¢ Marvels. Because of the way the Giant printing presses (in Sparta, Illinois) worked at the time, Beerbohm believes that some October 1977 variants may be more common because they might have stopped the presses (on the day of the price increase) and arbitrarily changed the cover price before continuing (presses which printed four to eight comics simultaneously). Marvel probably printed their variants on the same press, which means there are at least four to eight examples of 35¢ variants each month from June to October. Bob thinks the test marketing may have occurred in Dallas, Houston, or St. Louis. Thanks, Bob!

Link... http://www.jonmcclure.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=

So is this nonese then?

Edited by Twistty1

I would preface this by saying I am just a smalltime collector--

Anything is possible, so I will not call it nonsense. I will just say that I have never seen a Marvel 25 cent variant, or know anyone who has.

Another observation-that article is very old. The author was on the forefront and a pioneer in the discovery of the anomalies that turned out to be Marvel price variants. Being that early, a lot that has been confirmed over the years was just speculation.

35 cent variants exist, 30 cent variants exist, is it so much of a stretch to surmise that 25 cent variants could possibly exist?

Well, I for one do not think they exist, but would be the first to tell you that I WISH THEY DID.

I completely agree... did not check the date of that article but have seen many of Bob's posts here, mainly in regards to the GL 76 thread and his extensive knowledge regarding the release of many of the early BA books and their demand because of distribution back then etc etc.

Well as an early store owner who owned one of the bigger early stores he might know his stuff...

This would be very interesting it if turned out to be true..but like you said you never know....

yeah that's what I'm finding....did you win your IF 14 on there, that must have been a very watched book..?

Yep Ebay, as to How many bidders? Cant remember its been a few months, But there is usually a lot of interest in IF -14 when it comes up in any grade.

For me "and Im sure others", its one of those comics that I will usually spend more than is prudent, just because you never know when you may have the chance again.Guide price on the Variants, really has no bearing on actuall prices realized it seems.

35 cent variants exist, 30 cent variants exist, is it so much of a stretch to surmise that 25 cent variants could possibly exist?

Well, the 25 centers would have been for regularly 20 cent cover price books, no?

because 35 and 30 centers were done to test whether they could get away with RAISING prices (probably to keep up with inflation in the 70's) -- why on earth would they "test" a cheaper version? sure, it's possible they might want to see if they could still raise profits by increasing sales volume (and fewer returns) with a price-cut, but I doubt it.

yes it is quite a cheap price for them to start testing the waters with price changes but it has to start somewhere and 30 is not that far off...Yes it wouled be for regular 20 cent books, but it was just a recollection and be correct or could be incorrect..guess we'll never know until one turns up..

I'm sure one would have turned up by now anyway, the 30 cent variants had different insignias to indicate a price difference so I'm sure the 20 cent ones would have been different as well and not like the 35 cent ones..

Well, the 25 centers would have been for regularly 20 cent cover price books, no?

because 35 and 30 centers were done to test whether they could get away with RAISING prices (probably to keep up with inflation in the 70's) -- why on earth would they "test" a cheaper version? sure, it's possible they might want to see if they could still raise profits by increasing sales volume (and fewer returns) with a price-cut, but I doubt it.

This doesn't make any sense. I think he means 25c variants of normally-priced 20c books, not 25c variants of 30c books

This doesn't make any sense. I think he means 25c variants of normally-priced 20c books, not 25c variants of 30c books

That is the only reasonable conclusion that I could think of..noone with business sense would need to test a book at a cheaper price, because of course they would fly off the shelves...so it could only be 25 c variants of regular 20 cent books...