• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next big hobby is..

92 posts in this topic

remember when the AOL CDs and tins...especially the various limited edition ones, were deemed collectible and there was a weird market for them? it lasted a couple of years, but the whole thing became moot when people just downloaded the next version of their web browser, no CD required. I had a friend who scoured the city for these and grabbed every special edition at every event he could find and was making a nice little chunk of change every week from these on ebay.

Never heard that before... how bizarre :screwy:

It's all perspective, most of us grew up with comics so that's what we like to collect, people from the 80's & 90's going forward grew up with video games and rarely if ever read a comic.

:gossip: Manga

First editions and copies in high grade will be tough to find and fetch big bucks.

It's all perspective, most of us grew up with comics so that's what we like to collect, people from the 80's & 90's going forward grew up with video games and rarely if ever read a comic.

:gossip: Manga

First editions and copies in high grade will be tough to find and fetch big bucks.

Yep. If you think that comics might peter out because of "poor" demographics, I invite you to have a look at U.S. Coin collecting. Its demographics are horrific, and yet they keep going up. I chalk it up to foreign buyers wanting Americana and an investment mentality. We are safe.

I did squirrel away a bunch of old Atari games years back with the same thought process. So far, I've lost opportunity cost. I still have them because I think they may take off...but it's taking a long time.

WC

Another question about the website...

I've placed the ability to make a "tweet" about each book discovered while browsing The Market but having never made a tweet until last week is the information even correct? Those out there who use Twitter pretty regularly, what would be the more appropriate default tweet you'd expect when you click the "tweet" button under a comic book? hm

That is a very nice website with a very clean look. (thumbs u

I don't think I would ever Tweet anything, mainly because I Tweet only about MMA stuff, but maybe (forgive me if I missed it) a Facebook option.

:gossip: Watch out for auction titles using CGC when it is really a PGX book being sold by a scumbag.

And, yeah, video game collecting is getting crazy. I have about three hundred Atari 2600 games sitting in a box in my garage along with three consoles. I admit it: I love playing that Spider Man game for the Atari, also dig the Superman game.

I don't think I would ever Tweet anything, mainly because I Tweet only about MMA stuff, but maybe (forgive me if I missed it) a Facebook option.

:gossip: Watch out for auction titles using CGC when it is really a PGX book being sold by a scumbag.

So a "like" facebook option instead of a tweet? Maybe your right toast because I have no real clue how you would do a tweet or what others would what to see when it comes to informative tweets... :facepalm:

I'll look into a "like" option.

So a "like" facebook option instead of a tweet? Maybe your right toast because I have no real clue how you would do a tweet or what others would what to see when it comes to informative tweets... :facepalm:

I'll look into a "like" option.

Def agree! Facebook likes might get more milage than tweets......

Rapid fire extemporaneous posting is the next big craze.

hm So does that mean tweets or tumblr or what...?

Sorry, bro. I don't visit those sites. I think I get your meaning but I'm poorly equipped to give a substantive reply.

Rapid fire extemporaneous posting is the next big craze.

Look at you, hygiene master and trend setter. hm

Don't forget cat freak.

Video games. Definetly . Read an article recently about how its getting huge. I go to flea markets alot and I see folks searching for old video games. Some I read are selling for 10's of thousands of dollars.

Video games are the next big collectible (Cards-Comics-Coins etc) .

Its looking that way. There's certainly more 5 and 10k sales all the time. This past week,

A newly discovered Neo Geo game sold for a reported 30k+ a week (?) or so, and a super mario bros, of all things, not even sealed, of all things, sold for 7500 yesterday - strong result for sure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Super-Mario-Bros-Hangtab-First-Print-Gold-VGA-Q90-Nintendo-NES-/220968206106?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3372bb3f1a

It IS the very first version and it is in great shape, but not even sealed??? wow. The seller has already confirmed the buyer as being legit and payment as being received.

That's insane.

now an asian unsealed (although apparently pack-in so never sealed) copy in only 85 grade for 6k. My head is swimming :ohnoez:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3372ed6e63%3D&item=220971495011&nma=true&pt=Video_Games_Games&rt=nc&si=tpWqC34up8l0DH6ntnLJ6DOIzCU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

by way of comparison a US late edition box sealed 85 can probably be had for 600-1000.

a first US edition sealed 85+ did sell over 7k recently as well, privately

never really been much interest in unsealed and foreigns at big #s before though. My north american centric brain is used to seeing the foreign versions for quite a bit less, although with some games the foreign versions are very rare and foreign buyers will pay very well. I guess that's spread to this title now.

now an asian unsealed (although apparently pack-in so never sealed) copy in only 85 grade for 6k. My head is swimming :ohnoez:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3372ed6e63%3D&item=220971495011&nma=true&pt=Video_Games_Games&rt=nc&si=tpWqC34up8l0DH6ntnLJ6DOIzCU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

by way of comparison a US late edition box sealed 85 can probably be had for 600-1000.

a first US edition sealed 85+ did sell over 7k recently as well, privately

never really been much interest in unsealed and foreigns at big #s before though. My north american centric brain is used to seeing the foreign versions for quite a bit less, although with some games the foreign versions are very rare and foreign buyers will pay very well. I guess that's spread to this title now.

now a beat up 1st US edition for 3500 - haven't seen this many interesting sales points on this title in a long time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4161c984b0&item=280813470896&nma=true&pt=Video_Games_Games&rt=nc&si=wadq%252F3pfW62IMR%252FVEFowuCwSdOU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc