• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next big hobby is..

92 posts in this topic

I've been working on The Market over on my website and it seems to be going very well. Everyone seems generally excited about the information and presentation. So a thought occurred to me; why limit this to just comics? What is the next hobby that could benefit from information gleamed from eBay's api? Would card collectors care? Would it be toy collectors? What the next biggest hobby after comics that could possibly use this information? Any thoughts? hm

When the internet is replaced people will wax nostalgic about old forum posts.

I've already been selling some of mine. Sure, right now they're in the dollar boxes, but someday... someday...

I've been keeping track of eBay auction listings and I've just added a new feature to The Market website under "Auctions per Category" on the right side. It's a link currently titled "view all auctions" and when you follow it you find the following graph. Is anyone aware of the decline in comic listings the week of May 21st or the reason why? It's proven to be interesting data thus far. hm

Yes, I've noticed it. I thought it was just the issues I was tracking. It's been mighty slim pickens lately. I have no theory as to why.

Nice data. (thumbs u

The next big hobby is..

...doing the Wrist Slap!

Those are extremely limited edition. I don't think there's been a one around here...

How are we defining 'big?' For instance, every year several publications like The Journal of Antiques and Collectibles publish a list on the top ten collecting categories based on the amount of collectors in the chosen field. Is this how we are defining 'big?'

I know when I personally buy for 'investment' I want to purchase something that has a large amount of collectors clamoring to get it. This can be coins, currency, comic books, or art glass.

That being said, there are also lists that mention up and coming collecting fields based on how many new collectors are staring to collect these items. It should be noted that these lists are usually what some collectors would define as 'a few years behind.' This prevents fad or speculator type collectibles (i.e. Beanie Babies) from monopolizing the list or showing inaccurate and skewed information at best.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

The biggest difference in Video Game collecting vs the Comic book racket is that where in Comics the high dollar books are almost always key issues, i.e: Action #1, AF #15, Avengers #4. In Video Games, the rare collectable is almost always a game due that had a low production run, either due to low sales, cancellation that managed to leak a few copies to the public, or company specials that were limited and possibly intended for destruction after use.

Meaning, most key Comics are something you would be proud of showing off and probably would still enjoy reading the story, whereas a collectable video game is something you would never have played even if it weren't worth stupid $$$.

The biggest difference in Video Game collecting vs the Comic book racket is that where in Comics the high dollar books are almost always key issues, i.e: Action #1, AF #15, Avengers #4. In Video Games, the rare collectable is almost always a game due that had a low production run, either due to low sales, cancellation that managed to leak a few copies to the public, or company specials that were limited and possibly intended for destruction after use.

Meaning, most key Comics are something you would be proud of showing off and probably would still enjoy reading the story, whereas a collectable video game is something you would never have played even if it weren't worth stupid $$$.

Unless you collect high end slabbed/sealed games...but still a great point

that's really not true, some of the very highest sales in video games (I will grant you its a recent thing) are top grade examples of the classics.

Unless you collect high end slabbed/sealed games...but still a great point

beat me to it :)

Look at it this way though, games that are valuable are from the 70s - 90s. In that time period, its the exact same in comics. If it isn't in great shape, it isn't worth , and it shouldn't be.

How are we defining 'big?' For instance, every year several publications like The Journal of Antiques and Collectibles publish a list on the top ten collecting categories based on the amount of collectors in the chosen field. Is this how we are defining 'big?'

I know when I personally buy for 'investment' I want to purchase something that has a large amount of collectors clamoring to get it. This can be coins, currency, comic books, or art glass.

That being said, there are also lists that mention up and coming collecting fields based on how many new collectors are staring to collect these items. It should be noted that these lists are usually what some collectors would define as 'a few years behind.' This prevents fad or speculator type collectibles (i.e. Beanie Babies) from monopolizing the list or showing inaccurate and skewed information at best.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Requoted to ask once again. Without a definition of 'big' any further discussion is irrelevant.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Requoted to ask once again. Without a definition of 'big' any further discussion is irrelevant.

Can you show us an example of one of these "up and coming" lists you mentioned? (The list w/o the fad/speculator collectibles.)

I'd be curious to see what is on there.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Requoted to ask once again. Without a defiition of 'big' any further discussion is irrelevant.

Pretty sure that the definition of "big" here relates to investment potential, not number of collectors.