• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference in grading

7 posts in this topic

Quick question...

Does CGC grade Modern, Bronze and Silver different??

It seems to me that a 9.6 modern looks a lot different than a 9.6 Bronze. How does the grading differ? I just picket up 2 copies of Hulk 102 that look perfect. Not a single stress mark. Any thoughts on how this difference works or happens?

I can tell there is a difference, but by how much?

Silver 9.6 = Bronze 9.4 = Modern 9.0??? How far apart is each grade?

I think if you plus/minus .2 points each era...you'll have it. They are just more stricter the newer the comic. IMO....a 9.2 modern could easily be a 9.4 Bronze or Silver Age. Nailing it down to an exact comparison....that's tough.

I think it also depends on WHEN the books are sent in. I was at WizardWorld Chicago last year and was scoping out some slabbed isuues when I came across an X-Men #138 CGC 9.8 with a blue, 2nd gen.label. After looking the book over, I found no less than 6 stress marks up and down the spine, it was probably an 8.5 at best. I had just purchased a Daredevil #168 in beautiful shape, waaaay better than the X-Men book I saw, so I walked over to CGC's booth and sent it in thinking I was guaranteed AT LEAST a 9.8. I received it 30 days later only to find a grade of 9.6 on my book! I was stunned. They are definately much more strict now than they were just a year ago.

K

Quick question...

It seems to me that a 9.6 modern looks a lot different than a 9.6 Bronze. How does the grading differ? I just picket up 2 copies of Hulk 102 that look perfect. Not a single stress mark. Any thoughts on how this difference works or happens?

Read this thread:

Answers to the eternal question re: how does grading differ among golden age, silver age, and moderns.

Quick question...

Read this thread:

Answers to the eternal question re: how does grading differ among golden age, silver age, and moderns.

GREAT POST. Thanks, this was the kind of info I was looking for. It still seems like there is a major difference between Silver (or bronze for that matter) and Modern books. sign-rantpost.gif