• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP - Will Eisner "The Spirit" piece done for 1997 San Diego Comic Con

32 posts in this topic

Wow this is wonderful.

Please tell her that I REALLY appreciate her helping us here.

This is exciting. Now I have to get my hands on one of those books....

Thanks again for getting in touch with her!

Jackie just sent me a note. The artwork you have is to the cover of the 1997 Comic Book Expo program book. She said it was printed in color.

The CBEX was (still?) held in conjunction with the SDCC in the 90s. The programming was directed to retailers and all the big publishers and distributors were there. I attended all of them until 1997.

So I was on the right track by mentioning Eisner's Expo print.  Shame I didn't realise the Expo might also have had its own program.

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of that book?

Does anyone maybe know dealers that used to attend these expos?

Thanks to everyone for all your help!!!!

We are close, so hopefully I can find a copy of the book.

i looked on ebay for current and completed auctions.

the search term i am using is : comic book expo program

but i dont seem to find anything.

was this the exact name of the program?

The event was called Comic Book Expo. They had a program booklet with schedules, ads, etc. That's what you're looking for.

Send some emails to comic shops in southern CA. Many of the owners from this area attended the Expo and may still have a program stuck in a box somewhere.

Contact the SDCC and tell them you're willing to donate $50 for a copy. They may have a few in their archives.

eBay is a long shot though since this wasn't anything more than a schedule of events, and there's no reason to think it's collectable.

So here is a quick update.

I sent emails to approx. 50 comic stores!

Heard back from a hand full.....

There is hope that one of them actually has a copy.

As of now they are still looking.

I also reached out to Denis Kitchen, but did not hear back from him.

Anybody on this forum that has connections to him?

UPDATE (or NOT) :

As you guys know, I own this piece by Will Eisner. Apparently it was used for the San Diego Comic Con 1997.

6fba9196a5e0d527a1ce255ec53581b1_mvf6.png

Here is what I found out.

Apparently it was used for the San Diego Comic Book Expo.

This expo was held usually prior to the San Diego Comic Con.

I have reached out over 50 Comic Shops in San Diego to see if anyone remembers or even has a copy. Some promising messages back, but so far nobody found the actual copy.

I also reached out to the officials of the San Diego Comic Con to see if anyone might have kept a copy. No response back, which in a way I can understand. They are putting another huge show together.

I also sent Denis Kitchen an E-Mail through his website. He has a lot of Eisner material and knowledge, but unfortunately did not hear back from him.

Another member recommended to reach out to Jackie Estrada she handled all PR and communications in general for the SDCC back in the days.

This was done, and she confirmed that the piece indeed was used for the San Diego Comic Book Expo, and was even published in color.

So I was with the help of you guys on the right track, but somehow I got to a standstill.

That is the reason why I post again. It would be so wonderful to find out where and exactly how the piece was used. Maybe someone knows Denis Kitchen and could ask him, etc.

I also followed up with the seller of the piece to see if they have any idea.

They came up with a name who knows a ton about this stuff.

"Bob Beerbohm", does anybody know him?

Thanks for all of your help,

Andy