• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the essence of cool?

134 posts in this topic

Cowboys, Science Fiction and Nazis.

Doesn't get any cooler. I do not have a copy of this book ( :baiting:), the scan came from Hepcat, with suitable appreciation:

SpaceWestern44.jpg

I wonder if that might not be an Okajima.

That book is awesome.

Some distinctive and very cool books in this thread! :golfclap:

Here's my nomination... iconic D ick Tracy cover, it's a Large Feature Book w/great pages (which are notoriously tough in grade), and it's a Larson...

100_2256.jpg

This is one of the coolest books in my collection. :luhv:

national7.jpg

How could I resist an underwater scene that shows Uncle Sam battling one of our nation's foes in front of what looks to be a side paddle battlship. (shrug)

Awesome cover!

I think it's a ship with tracks like those of a tank.

i think the greatest comic ever created is also my coolest. pardon the era of my ways.

asm33.jpg

I like the choice. If I included all eras, I might pick Nick Fury #1. First complete issue by Steranko and a killer as well.. I was dying to have this book when I was in my teens and still love it today.

Although a golden age fan, Spidey got me into the addiction of reading and collecting comics.....Yes, and of all the Spiderman stories and books, #33 nails it for me also. And the interior panel heaving the machinery off him.....well...er...it makes me a 15 year old again......jb

scan0055.jpg

Here is a way too cool cover and book. It's a Giant from July 1953. Unfortuately, it's not even mine; it's my wife's and I have to be extra special nice to her such as cooking her dinner or taking her out. Anyway, very rarely seen copy.

I've always thought this book was the essence of what makes golden age comics cool.

singleseries20.jpg

:applause:

I was almost certain MrB was going to post his copy

I think Alex Toth is the epitome of the 50s cool artists.

AllAmWest121.jpg

I've always thought this one was "cool" and when I shared it in the funny animal thread at least one other board member agreed.

scan553.jpg

Yessir, that is very cool.

This is the essence of cool - a great cover that most collectors are likely unfamiliar with. I love the widely recognized "classic" covers as much as the next fan, but seeing a cool cover that I'm unfamiliar with brings back the excitement I had for the hobby after first getting the Gerber guides and discovering all the amazing covers from the Golden Age.

I think Alex Toth is the epitome of the 50s cool artists.

AllAmWest121.jpg

I agree. I still remember seeing this book in person in Baltimore a few years ago and it was mesmerizing. Love the way those bullets were drawn and coloured. Pure genius.

BaltimoreComicCon2009096.jpg

scan0055.jpg

Here is a way too cool cover and book. It's a Giant from July 1953. Unfortuately, it's not even mine; it's my wife's and I have to be extra special nice to her such as cooking her dinner or taking her out. Anyway, very rarely seen copy.

Quite right... Absolutely GREAT cover! Here's mine...

StrangeTerrors061953-01.jpg

scan0055.jpg

Quite right... Absolutely GREAT cover! Here's mine...

StrangeTerrors061953-01.jpg

Wow! Nice to see a high-grade cover. Very vibrant colors. I'll have to upgrade one day--if I have the bucks!