• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Poll - Who Will Win The UEFA Euro 2004 Football Championship?

Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?

345 posts in this topic

Becks' 10 million-euro ball bid a fake!

MADRID, July 15 (Reuters) - A 10 million-euro bid for the ball that David Beckham blasted into the stands during England's Euro 2004 shootout defeat against Portugal has been ruled a fake.

Beckham consoles Daruis Vassell whilst John Terry looks to see if Becks' effort has landed yet (TonyMarshall/Empics)

After running checks on the bids, the Spanish site of Internet auctioneers eBay decided to reduced the top offer for the ball from 10 million to a mere 23,650 euros ($29,270).

The ball was put up for sale by the Spanish football fan who grabbed it while he was watching the Euro 2004 quarter-final from Row Q of the Luz stadium in Lisbon.

A bidding war believed to involve genuine collectors and British newspapers, anxious to get hold of the ultimate memento of a penalty miss that helped cost England a place in the semi-finals, was also joined by pranksters who hiked the price to astronomical levels.

The interest in the ball has created a major headache for the eBay, who have had to introduce a new series of security checks in order to establish the authenticity of the bids.

'Nothing like this has ever occurred in Spain before,' company spokesperson Inma Solis said on Wednesday.

'We are having to check out each bid with our departments in other countries and are trying to cancel out those we believe to be false.'

Pablo Carral, the 25-year-old Deportivo Coruna fan who caught Beckham's spot kick, said he only realised the interest the ball might generate after he had been contacted by a British newspaper who were anxious to get their hands on the trophy.

'I decided to put the ball up for auction after a British paper tried to buy it,' he said.

'I was also rung up by several Irish daily papers saying they wanted to get hold of it in order to poke fun at Beckham and the English - it's complete madness.'

The ball, embossed with the names of the teams, the date and match venue, will be up for sale until July 22.

Gotta be England .

Yes, with the impregnable Neville brothers shoring up the England back line and fearsome likes of Rooney, Heskey and Vassell pairing up Owen up front, I'm sure the rest of Europe is quaking in their football boots!! 27_laughing.gif

Aren't search engines great. cloud9.gif

Gotta be England .

Yes, with the impregnable Neville brothers shoring up the England back line and fearsome likes of Rooney, Heskey and Vassell pairing up Owen up front, I'm sure the rest of Europe is quaking in their football boots!! 27_laughing.gif

At least I didn't pick England to win. poke2.gif

Gotta be England .

At least I didn't pick England to win. poke2.gif

True! But you didn't win the bet either!!!