• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Poll - Who Will Win The UEFA Euro 2004 Football Championship?

Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?

345 posts in this topic

The Greeks defended relentlessly well and seemed very fit and motivated. They didn't seem at all fazed by the significance of the game. Their organized, precision defending prevented the Portugal team from making inroads into the penalty area - which made for an unspectacular game, but there you go.

In the end the game was decided by a soft goal (the Greeks did most of their scoring heading from crosses and corners).

And that was that, really. A fitting finale?

The Greeks defended relentlessly well and seemed very fit and motivated.

gossip.gif

The Greeks have a German coach and the team very much fitted the profile of the successful German teams of old. Very efficient, but not exactly pretty to watch.

There was a comment in a magazine in England saying this was one of the best tournaments ever.

I can think of one game that was really good and might be a classic match in the future, but come on, we had all of the big teams not playing well from the start. The winners played IMHO, ugly football, never really did anything exciting.

This was a big disappointment for me.

If you disagree that is fine, but i won't change my mind mad.gif

The Greeks defended relentlessly well and seemed very fit and motivated.

gossip.gif

The Greeks have a German coach and the team very much fitted the profile of the successful German teams of old. Very efficient, but not exactly pretty to watch.

I agree entirely. It was a dour, monotonous match, in which the Greeks stuck to their game plan and didn't deviate from it once. Even worse, that was the way they played in every game. I came away from it feeling cheated (can't imagine how the Portuguese felt).

There was a comment in a magazine in England saying this was one of the best tournaments ever.

Perhaps they were watching a bunch of different matches to the rest of us? 893whatthe.gif

Perhaps they were watching a bunch of different matches to the rest of us? 893whatthe.gif

I believe so as we all only really think one game was of high quality, glad i watched that one cloud9.gif

They won, right? The goal is to win, not "look pretty" last time I checked. It doesn't matter how you do it.

While that may be true, the game is meant to be a form of entertainment and I personally don't like watching teams that play negatively. It is not good for the future of the game as a spectacle for these types of tactics to prosper IMHO.

They won, right? The goal is to win, not "look pretty" last time I checked. It doesn't matter how you do it.

While that may be true, the game is meant to be a form of entertainment and I personally don't like watching teams that play negatively. It is not good for the future of the game as a spectacle for these types of tactics to prosper IMHO.

Exactly blowout.

They won in a tournament where i think all the big teams were tired and didn't really want to be there. So what if they won, they will be known as the winners who played 'ugly football' and if you watched the final it was very poor, football is supposed to an entertainment and that wasn't what i would call entertainment.

They won by doing hardly anything all match and then scoring a very poorly defended goal.

After watching them in this tournament it is unlikely i will watch them again because they play football in a way no one likes to watch

Exactly blowout.

They won in a tournament where i think all the big teams were tired and didn't really want to be there. So what if they won, they will be known as the winners who played 'ugly football' and if you watched the final it was very poor, football is supposed to an entertainment and that wasn't what i would call entertainment.

They won by doing hardly anything all match and then scoring a very poorly defended goal.

After watching them in this tournament it is unlikely i will watch them again because they play football in a way no one likes to watch

Aw c'mon. How long have you 2 been watching football? 5 minutes?

Exactly blowout.

And what is the point you are making? confused.gif

Exactly blowout.

He's an ARSENAL FAN. Admittedly they are not boring anymore, and haven't been for some time, but prior to Wenger their tactics were not radically different to the way the Greeks played in this competition.

He's just being defensive that's all. smirk.gif

Exactly blowout.

He's an ARSENAL FAN. Admittedly they are not boring anymore, and haven't been for some time, but prior to Wenger their tactics were not radically different to the way the Greeks played in this competition.

He's just being defensive that's all. smirk.gif

I see frown.gif

The only reason Arsenal aren't boring is because of Henry smirk.gif

Exactly blowout.

Forget Arsenal. The point I'm making is that football hasn't changed radically in this Championship. Statements like It is not good for the future of the game as a spectacle for these types of tactics to prosper IMHO are ridiculous. You're dealing with the biggest spectator sport in the world and if you ask anyone who has ever supported a winning team, the only thing that counts is the winning itself.

Football might not become the biggest thing in the US since sliced bread, but for many of us, it will always be the most important thing in life. That's not an exaggeration. You live this stuff, day in, day out and Euro 2004 is just a small part of the make up.

If I'm given the choice between England playing the most boring football possible and winning the next World Cup or England playing like the Dutch side in 1974 and finishing runners up, it isn't a close decision. And whatever happens, they'll be around 2 billion people worldwide watching the final next time round and most of them will be cheering or jeering whichever way their heart feels.

The point I'm making is that football hasn't changed radically in this Championship. Statements like It is not good for the future of the game as a spectacle for these types of tactics to prosper IMHO are ridiculous. You're dealing with the biggest spectator sport in the world and if you ask anyone who has ever supported a winning team, the only thing that counts is the winning itself.

Spoken like a true Arsenal fan.

Those of us that are fans of real football, such as that displayed by the classic Spurs sides of old tongue.gif will never succumb to dour tactics just for the sake of winning. 893naughty-thumb.gifdevil.gif