• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you rather a good sketch or a rare sketch?

Rare sketch V Good sketch  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Rare sketch V Good sketch

64 posts in this topic

Artists need to get paid. May it be for their service or quality of work. They need to get paid no matter what. Yah so the cost of a sketch depends on their fame or how bad the work was. They still need to get paid. Work is work. Sketching is work. They all went through a phase of doing mess for free, for the love of the art, blah blah blah. Then they'll realize, "I need to get paid for this mess." Then they charge small, then increase in time. After a couple of Marvel/DC cover, or make a name in the unsigned artist ranks or in the boards, they bump up their price. After hiring a rep/manager, he was convinced he cost this much. After being in the bizz for 5-10 years, he has a minimum of how much he should get paid.

Sketch ops are out there for people to decide if they should get on board or not. It's not like fascilitators are forcing you to buy a spot. If you're interested, then join in. If you think the price is right, then come on board. If not, then no big deal, understood and someone (or no one) will take that spot. Outside of the comic bizz, I've seen "art" bought for ridiculous amount coz its made by this and that and some better looking art sold less coz its made by a no-name. We all have our own opinions on what we think is cool, so don't bash on how much people are willing to pay on something you might have a different opinion about. Somebody's trash is another's art. I mean, the Mona Lisa is the most famous painting of all time. It prolly coz a gazillion dollars. But you know what? I don't want it hanging on my wall. Da Vinci is a cool guy and all but his style is not my thing at all.

I've said it before. Printed materials will become obsolete soon. It's an inescapable route we all have to take. Comics will be gone! The only thing that will remain are the slabbed items. But comics not being printed doesn't mean artists will stop drawing. Sketches will remain in business. As long as blanks keep getting printed, artists keep drawing, and CGC keeps slabbing, then the sketch bizz will be ok.

Sounds good to me.

A very interesting question which I have been pondering upon myself.

Assuming one has to choose between a good sketch vs a rare sketch AND cost is similar, (a simple doodle by a renowned artist), here's my take on it:

Good art always appeals to me. Regardless of the reputation of the artist, I'll never fail to be impressed whenever I see good art. Also, I will never feel less impressed when I learn that the artist is relatively unknown.

Although I've slowed down on collecting sketches, I still feel this way today. :)