• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you rather a good sketch or a rare sketch?

Rare sketch V Good sketch  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Rare sketch V Good sketch

64 posts in this topic

What I mean by the thread title is...

Would you rather a good sketch by somebody who is respected and known, but makes a fair few convention appearances, for the sake of argument, let's say... Bob Layton, who isn't notoriously difficult to get, but is a great artist.

OR

Would you rather a sketch that is 'OK' (not poor or anything, but nothing special) but more so rare to get, i.e. a doodle from somebody like Jim Lee.

I'm just interested what the majority would go for hm

for me rare is automatically good but good isnt always rare and rare can be exceptional art by a rare artist...the poll is misleading!!! makes it sound like its about getting an amazing Clay Mann or a rare stan lee, there are rare amazing covers by steranko, colan, yu, quesada, kieth just to name a few

Problem is you can almost always get a "Good" sketch from a great number of artists, but a "rare" sketch is just that. Hence why a Frank Quitley JLA Hero Initiative sketch brings $800, whereas Tone Rodriguez's sketch brings $400. I'd take Tone's sketch all day as far as eye appeal but the Quitley is the one most would go after.

Problem is you can almost always get a "Good" sketch from a great number of artists, but a "rare" sketch is just that. Hence why a Frank Quitley JLA Hero Initiative sketch brings $800, whereas Tone Rodriguez's sketch brings $400. I'd take Tone's sketch all day as far as eye appeal but the Quitley is the one most would go after.

:cry: had to bring up the Quitley. If I had known they were not getting it graded I would have at least gone to 800.25 lol

Rare but has value to me, or rare because it's rare?

A lot of people are paying lots of money for rare books I don't care about at all. 2 dollar book with a three thousand dollar sig? Yeah, that's fine and dandy...

Now we do have rare creators that have value to me, for some personal reason or another. But even if it's a creator I love, if the book is meh..... I won't get that excited about.

Great quality = A+

Rare book or creator that I love = A+

Both = > then ones above, and thus +10000 A+'s.

this is a tough one for me. the example you used kind of threw me for a loop. i mean layton may be easier then some to get but he is in my mind a comic book legend.

in my eyes just a very small notch below romita and colan and people like that.

so a good sketch from layton is great to me.

if it was a rare sketch or a good sketch from an artist that has very little published work and is very easy to get a sketch from then no question the rare sketch.

I usually opt for both a sketch from an artist who is rare to get a sketch or commissio. From that is good. For example. I have a mark brooks sketch of the sandman It is both good and rare. Or an amanda conner full color commission it is also both good and rare. Or a creig flessel commission that is both good and rare. Or a dell otto sketch that is both good and rare. The true challenge is to get a sketch or commission that is both. Yes they cost money and time but they are worth it

If I had the option of a Walt Simonson quick sketch or the vass amounts of unknown artists doing 'commissions'...I can tell you the long term value and greatness will be in the Walt Simonson.

5 years from now I will be right and there will be a lot of people with sketches from people working at car dealerships...

If I had the option of a Walt Simonson quick sketch or the vass amounts of unknown artists doing 'commissions'...I can tell you the long term value and greatness will be in the Walt Simonson.

5 years from now I will be right and there will be a lot of people with sketches from people working at car dealerships...

BTW, I think you are right, right now. A legend in the comic book industry that does a sketch, any sketch thats graded will have value and will probably maintain that value.

There is the chance too that the car salesmans sketches could be worth more. Because art is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.