• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man #5

29 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you can give me a quick grade on the ASM #5? I picked it up dirt cheap and it's been graded by PGX but I'm debating on sending it in to CGC or just throwing it up eBay. Some scuffs you see are actually on the PGX case. Just need some opinions and grading expertise.

Thanks!

20120312111533243_0001.jpg

20120312111533243_0002.jpg

Can you break it out of the holder and scan it? That's really the only way to get accurate grading. Also, when you break it out flip through the book, make sure all the coupons are still there and that there is an even page count.

I'll see if I can get it cracked open. When I called CGC they were very interested in me sending it still in the PGX slab. One more question also pertaining to restoration. I buy these for my collection and not to resale. Would this comic be worth restoring or would you just reslab it and put it away?

I'll see if I can get it cracked open. When I called CGC they were very interested in me sending it still in the PGX slab. One more question also pertaining to restoration. I buy these for my collection and not to resale. Would this comic be worth restoring or would you just reslab it and put it away?

I would just reslab it,to get a good resto check.I wouldn't restore it. (thumbs u

And no. Don't restore that. Its not worth it.

Agreed. But as we all know, if PGX calls it a 5.0, expect a lower (and more accurate) grade from CGC.

Personally, I would get rid of all PGX slabs and re-slab via CGC. Even if you WERE selling, and found someone who believed in the PGX 5.0, I'd still suggest re-slabbing it via CGC and selling it then...it's just the right thing to do. And this comes from a guy who cracked out a PGX 4.0 Sups 2 and re-slabbed it via CGC for a 2.0 - lost tons is potential sales. But learned a valuable lesson - stay away from PGX and always go with CGC...

And no. Don't restore that. Its not worth it.

Agreed. But as we all know, if PGX calls it a 5.0, expect a lower (and more accurate) grade from CGC.

Personally, I would get rid of all PGX slabs and re-slab via CGC. Even if you WERE selling, and found someone who believed in the PGX 5.0, I'd still suggest re-slabbing it via CGC and selling it then...it's just the right thing to do. And this comes from a guy who cracked out a PGX 4.0 Sups 2 and re-slabbed it via CGC for a 2.0 - lost tons is potential sales. But learned a valuable lesson - stay away from PGX and always go with CGC...

Hard to tell from small scans,but PGX 5.0= CGC 4.0 :applause:

I'll let you guys know. I am going to keep this book as long as it grades at a 4.0 or higher. It's for my collection and not resale. It's also one of my favorite Spidey issues. I wish I could afford a 8.0 or higher of the early ASM's, just can't.

I'll let you guys know. I am going to keep this book as long as it grades at a 4.0 or higher. It's for my collection and not resale. It's also one of my favorite Spidey issues. I wish I could afford a 8.0 or higher of the early ASM's, just can't.

You're right - It's a great book, no matter what the grade...

Yup. I'd gladly pay $20 to see ANY PGX book grade the same in CGC. Never seen it in my experience w/them, so it would be an eye-opener.

my "PGM Weird War Tales #1" thread i just put up is a case of CGC being higher than PGX. didn't even want to give that much away as i was asking for people to estimate what they thought PGX and CGC gave it. wish i'd scanned it still in the PGX slab before cracking, but you'll just have to believe me on the grade when i reveal it.

Yup. I'd gladly pay $20 to see ANY PGX book grade the same in CGC. Never seen it in my experience w/them, so it would be an eye-opener.

my "PGM Weird War Tales #1" thread i just put up is a case of CGC being higher than PGX. didn't even want to give that much away as i was asking for people to estimate what they thought PGX and CGC gave it. wish i'd scanned it still in the PGX slab before cracking, but you'll just have to believe me on the grade when i reveal it.

I believe you! But you can't claim the $20... :(

I believe you! But you can't claim the $20... :(

:cry:

the one time i sent a few books to PGX, it was 2 weird war tales #1, 2 marvel feature #1, and this x-men.

KsgX2.jpg

cracked it out for the sig. CGC and PGX actually agreed on 8.5. my marvel features were undergraded as well- they got 6.0 and 7.0, but i'm thinking with a crack and press they might have a shot at 8.5

Thanks for all the grades and opinions guys. After careful consideration I've decided to sell this book. I have decided no matter the cost in the long run, I'd rather have quality over quantity. That's why I'm currently looking for an Avengers #4 CGC'd at 7.0 or better. This AMS #5 is currently on eBay but if anybody is interested just let me know. My eBay username is Chad_Hammon and I'd sell it for dirt cheap. Thanks!