• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics vs. Vacation

1 post in this topic

If it came down to it, what would you do? Go on a vacation or buy an expensive comic book?

10874.jpg

See more journals by TnerbI have not taken a vacation in… Okay, I have no idea when the last time I took a vacation. The closest I come to taking off from work are the three days I take off for Wizard World Philadelphia. Typically this happens in June. I didn't worry about what I spent because I made sure to save for it. In essence, this was my vacation. This year things are slightly different. I realized I can't make it to SDCC and I am glad I figured this out before I tried to get tickets. I read what everyone was saying and it seemed like a real cluster Fu…The reason I opted out was because the rooms are too expensive. I used all the Priceline and Travelocity type sites but realized I will have to save even more than I originally allotted. I thought $2500 would be more than enough. I was wrong. Of course taking a seven day cruise (my first) in the beginning of April slightly cuts into any savings I might have used for it.I am currently purchasing things I need for the trip like clothes, toiletries, sun-block, new camera (it's nice), clothes, sneakers, extra batteries, memory cards, and more sun-block (remember I work nights). I also need extra money for excursions and extracurricular activities on the ship. The last time I travelled. I drove to Toronto. It was cheaper because I stayed with a friend, so the $500 I brought was more than enough.If I plan on going to SDCC in 2013 I have to start saving now. I already started a new water jug experiment. I plan on placing all my change in there for a full 365 days. I started the same day I emptied it of my quarter experiment. I imagine (hope) by the time I am done I can save $1000, now only if I could save another $4000 by the convention I will be all set (if I can get tickets), but what if I like the cruise and want to go one another one?Wizard World Philadelphia is easy; I only need money for what comics I want to buy. The NYCC is just as easy if I decided commuter, but the SDCC is another story altogether. I will enjoy the vacation in one way or the other whether it's my water jug or squirreling away 10% I'll save for another one. As for comic books, I'll just work more.Thanks for readingTnerb