• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scan your paypal/ebay mailing labels at the post office!

22 posts in this topic

I posted this over at the Corral but figured it was worth posting here as well. I print out all my postage online. When I mail them, I hand them off to a clerk at the post office. The clerk just ends up tossing them into a bin and never scans the package(s).

It turns up that one of my packages is now lost in the post office and it was never scanned in to the system. So in the system it looks like the package was never received by the post office only the label was printed out. I was told by a senior clerk to have all packages in the future scanned and get a receipt.

I know that alot of members here just drop off the packages without waiting for a clerk to handle them. I wanted to warn everyone that if you don't get the package scanned the post office, they cannot do anything to track your package.

Yeah - you must have gotten a new clerk. They're supposed to scan all packages whether you give them to a window clerk, or shove them through the drop off slot.

I posted this over at the Corral but figured it was worth posting here as well. I print out all my postage online. When I mail them, I hand them off to a clerk at the post office. The clerk just ends up tossing them into a bin and never scans the package(s).

It turns up that one of my packages is now lost in the post office and it was never scanned in to the system. So in the system it looks like the package was never received by the post office only the label was printed out. I was told by a senior clerk to have all packages in the future scanned and get a receipt.

I know that alot of members here just drop off the packages without waiting for a clerk to handle them. I wanted to warn everyone that if you don't get the package scanned the post office, they cannot do anything to track your package.

Rookie Mistake :makepoint:

What they are supposed to do and what is done is too seperate issues. If a package is important, I'd take the extra time to make sure I saw that it was scanned. I'm amazed at all the people that just drop things on the counter because they have better things to do than wait in lline for five minutes.

Most of you complain about how inefficient the PO is, but you happily trust them to take care of a package you leave unattended on a public counter.

No, it was a new clerk that I gave that package to either. In fact the old timers are the ones that barely look at the packages before tossing them in the bin. My PO makes me wait in line even for prepaid packages.

This post is only a suggestion. Noone has to do anything they don't want to but it is a warning that if the package goes missing you have no recourse.

Michael, I am not sure how carrier pick works and if they scan the packages. I usually only have a random package every now and again.

No, it was a new clerk that I gave that package to either. In fact the old timers are the ones that barely look at the packages before tossing them in the bin. My PO makes me wait in line even for prepaid packages.

This post is only a suggestion. Noone has to do anything they don't want to but it is a warning that if the package goes missing you have no recourse.

Michael, I am not sure how carrier pick works and if they scan the packages. I usually only have a random package every now and again.

There is no recourse anyway. I hate to say, but knowing between where and where your package was lost, is not going to do you any good. Do you really think they are going to do anything different once they have said "we will investigate this further...." It is all going to be lip service.

There is no recourse anyway. I hate to say, but knowing between where and where your package was lost, is not going to do you any good. Do you really think they are going to do anything different once they have said "we will investigate this further...." It is all going to be lip service.

There is recourse for paypal though. I don't think they will do a charge back if the tracking shows the package lost. But they will do a charge back if the tracking just shows notification of a package when you just print the label.

Why bother going to the PO to drop off packages that already have postage on them? That's what the free Carrier Pickup is for :shrug:
Doing this with a book , let's say worth $3000 leaves you handing the book off to the carrier. If for some reason the book never makes it to the buyer, it will appear that it was never shipped by the seller. ALWAYS take it to the USPS, get it scanned in, demand it be done and you will be covered.

Maybe it's my mood today but I posted this just as a warning. Why do I feel like I a defending myself. I am done with these boards. I have two transactions to complete and then I am gone.

You are 100% correct and I agree that if someone for some reason does not scan the label for you once it's in their hands you don't have a leg to stand on unless the remember you specifically handing it over.

The rest is just discussion. You don't have to feel the need to reply to it all.

Don't let it bother you.

Appreciate the heads up.

(thumbs u

Why bother going to the PO to drop off packages that already have postage on them? That's what the free Carrier Pickup is for :shrug:
Doing this with a book , let's say worth $3000 leaves you handing the book off to the carrier. If for some reason the book never makes it to the buyer, it will appear that it was never shipped by the seller. ALWAYS take it to the USPS, get it scanned in, demand it be done and you will be covered.

Don't they scan it when they pick it up?

All of the carriers that show up at my house (Canadapost, Fed Ex, etc) have hand scanners.

Don't they scan it when they pick it up?

All of the carriers that show up at my house (Canadapost, Fed Ex, etc) have hand scanners.

To be honest I have never had a carrier come to the house for a pick up, I'm always too impatient to bring it to the office. Dont get me wrong, if it is small potato $$$ packages and I got a bundle of them, I do drop and run, my USPS clerks will scan them eventually before they put them into the bins and then leave my slip in the PO box.

There is recourse for paypal though. I don't think they will do a charge back if the tracking shows the package lost. But they will do a charge back if the tracking just shows notification of a package when you just print the label.

Nope, doesn't do any good without confirmation of delivery

Maybe it's my mood today but I posted this just as a warning. Why do I feel like I a defending myself. I am done with these boards. I have two transactions to complete and then I am gone.

I hope not!

I like you and did not mean to offend. :foryou:

The post office is not on the top of my list though.

Unless its something like Cal's list.

I have to work at some place other than my home. :shrug:

No good deed goes unpunished - you should know that.

Well, it's good to see that the hazing never ends. You think this is bad you should see my thread. I had "broke back mountain" references and everything in there. My wife had to give me a hug after I read some of that stuff.

:)

Good luck with working out the problem. (thumbs u