• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How safe is paypal for sellers

24 posts in this topic

Question goes out to hardcore sellers on here.

I received an offer on a high value book from someone on the west cost (I'm on the east coast) that I have never dealt with or know. In the past most of my high dollar transactions were paid by either check or money order. The buyer normally is fine with this as I can offer them a larger discount.

This buyer is willing to pay slightly more through paypal but I will still incur $200+ in paypal fees.

If I sold the book it would be sent via Express Mail (next day) insured for maximum of $5000 which is the USPS limit (which bothers me as the books value is higher).

Anyway....after hearing all the horror stories of sellers getting ripped by buyers using paypal and making fraudlent claims that they never received the books or book wasn't as decribed kinda has me worried.

How easy is it to have paypal reverse a high dollar transaction? What can I do to protect myself as a seller? Have the postal worker watch me pack the item?

Thoughts?

:popcorn:

Personally, I will not accept paypal payments over $500 from anyone I do not know. Anyone serious about buying something for $5K+ should be very willing to send you a bank check certified mail.

You don't want paypal in the middle of a big transaction. If your trading partner is corrupt, they can play the system and possibly win. No matter what that chance is, it's non-zero, probably significantly higher than 0, and it is not worth it.

The shipping is really the least of your worries. There is only one choice for high value items, and that is USPS registered mail. I believe you can register an express package, but the delivery time guarantees may go away, check on that. The insurance limit is $25K, and the insurance rate is well below what the USPS charges for insuring normal mail. It will be handled with kid gloves, but still pack the out of it. I will put high value items between two pieces of wood.

He might want to use Paypal so he/she can purchase the book using a credit card, for his own protection.

and points! :idea:

I've never sold anything that expensive, but when I buy something that is expensive, I don't want to send a check to a total stranger...even if they seem to be the nicest person. I prefer using a credit card.

Personally, I will not accept paypal payments over $500 from anyone I do not know. Anyone serious about buying something for $5K+ should be very willing to send you a bank check certified mail.

Don't you think this should go both ways?

Anyone I don't know, willing to sell something for $5K+ should be willing to accept my credit card payment, instead of me sending them a cash equivalent before I see anything substantive in return?

Don't you think this should go both ways?

Anyone I don't know, willing to sell something for $5K+ should be willing to accept my credit card payment, instead of me sending them a cash equivalent before I see anything substantive in return?

It should go both ways, but not to the same extent. I'd think someone would be secure, since they're the one wanting the purchase, to send a certified check via FedEx, overnight delivery, etc. with signature confirmation. For this amount of money, I'd be on the phone verifying details and getting as much information from the seller so I felt comfortable with the transaction.