• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Speculator Market

143 posts in this topic

Publishers are not reselling comics. Creators are not reselling comics. Publishers are not short printing the first issue of their comic either. I imagine that what is happening is that Image is not over printing an extra 3K-10K copies and going back to print. This is a product of the lower initial print runs. If your selling 100K - 200K issues (like everyone was in the 90s) its not that big of a deal to run an extra 3K - 10K copies.

That's not entirely true.

I understand why people hate speculation threads after reading some of the terrible ideas posted in this one.

Now you are getting it.

My thread(s) have always had much better discussions (and more interesting arguments/fights for that matter). :grin:

Most people are nice in Moderns. They would rather reason first as a form of respect. As someone said in one of your threads before, if you put one of these in Comics General it would be a different story. An unhappy one with loads of sarcasm and boobies (I actally kinda like those parts though hm ).

:jokealert: I thought the sarcasm was clear and in good spirit - should have been extra explicit but I couldn't find the winking emoticon.

Some publishers do sell their comics. Sell them graded and raw actually. Some creators do but not nearly as many from what I've seen.

For Image to sell out so consistently tells me something is going on. I've seen quite a bit of bad forecasting but nothing like that.

I understand why people hate speculation threads after reading some of the terrible ideas posted in this one.

Now you are getting it.

My thread(s) have always had much better discussions (and more interesting arguments/fights for that matter). :grin:

Most people are nice in Moderns. They would rather reason first as a form of respect. As someone said in one of your threads before, if you put one of these in Comics General it would be a different story. An unhappy one with loads of sarcasm and boobies (I actally kinda like those parts though hm ).

:jokealert: I thought the sarcasm was clear and in good spirit - should have been extra explicit but I couldn't find the winking emoticon.

Semi-colon bracket ; ) ;)

Some publishers do sell their comics. Sell them graded and raw actually. Some creators do but not nearly as many from what I've seen.

For Image to sell out so consistently tells me something is going on. I've seen quite a bit of bad forecasting but nothing like that.

That's really interesting. I can't imagine why a publisher would risk their credibility by making transactions on the secondary market. Do you think it is something other than not overprinting to go back to print and build hype while losing the risk of getting stuck with extra copies of the first print? It looks very typical of the kind of strategies that managerial consulting firms like McKinsey and Accenture Corp. pitch to businesses. JMHO.

I assume that all creators get a stack of like 25 copies of the first issue of a comic and I understand that ... I was talking about pushing hundreds ... It is kind of strange for a creator to sling copies of their book on the secondary market. I think it leaves a bad taste in readers mouths if and when they find out its being done at all.

novelists do it...not too big of a deal really.

Yeah and you never know what kind of financial strain a creator or their family may be under. If someone needs the cash, by all means I hope they are able to make it any way they can. I guess, I just have a problem if it's a situation where there is an intentional move to under produce and force consumers to purchase comics at an inflated price on the secondary market. I doubt we see that, but that is when I would have a strong objection. In other words, if a creator/publisher intentionally limits production so they can sell copies for an inflated price on the secondary market. And at the end of the day, creators don't make nearly enough money for the work they produce. That is one of the reasons why I always encourage creators to explore film and tv adaptions of their work.

In fact the whole idea of designed collectibles is everywhere.

Say what you want about Rick Dale from Pawn Stars, but one of the funniest things I've heard anyone say about antiques/collectibles was him "if it was sold as a collectible, it won't ever have any real value as a collectible."

In fact the whole idea of designed collectibles is everywhere.

Say what you want about Rick Dale from Pawn Stars, but one of the funniest things I've heard anyone say about antiques/collectibles was him "if it was sold as a collectible, it won't ever have any real value as a collectible."

Rick don't know comics. ;)