• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old German Comic, looking for some help

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I bought the book below from an antique shop in upstate NY today for 6 bucks. I just liked the cover and I thought it was from the 50's, which I found out it is, and I liked the fact that it was a foreign comic. The book is complete at about a VG.

I found out who the artist was but does anyone know value on something like this? I know it's what's someone's willing to pay but I was just curious if there's a way to get a rough estimate. Not that I'm looking to sell it, again just curious.

This is not the actual book just a stock photo.

van-der-heide_cover2.jpg

Hi,

I found out who the artist was but does anyone know value on something like this? I know it's what's someone's willing to pay but I was just curious if there's a way to get a rough estimate. Not that I'm looking to sell it, again just curious.

van-der-heide_cover2.jpg

What is a Eulenspiegel? That is a disturbing pre-castration image... Are the interior pages in color or black-and-white?

Hi,

van-der-heide_cover2.jpg

What is a Eulenspiegel? That is a disturbing pre-castration image... Are the interior pages in color or black-and-white?

It means something like owl in the mirror or something close to that. That would explain the owl with the mirror on the cover, very odd title.

The interior is all color.

Till Eulenspiegel or Til l'espiegle as I know him is a trickster who has fanciful adventures and in general whose character is not necessarily well defined as either 100% good or 100% bad if memory serves. In a way, that's the way Willigham tried to write Jack of Fables though I never found him to be successful at the exercise. IIRC, there is a 1950's french movie with this title. Sure enough, here it is: Les aventures de Till L'Espiègle a.k.a. Bold Adventures (1956). A decent way to spend 1 ½ hours.

I've found some information describing the main character as trickster. The stories about him have been around for a long time from an anonymous artist. They toned down the "tricks" he would pull for the 50's comic version.