• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100 Bullets?

26 posts in this topic

From my DC email today...

100 BULLETS #50 (VERTIGO) The Award winning series hits the halfway point with answers to some burning questions. Mature.

Did I miss where they announced there would be 100 issues?

I had assumed we would get 70 or so issues, just like Preacher, Sandman and Transmet...

Mmmm... 100 issues of Bullets... cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

100 BULLETS #50 (VERTIGO) The Award winning series hits the halfway point with answers to some burning questions. Mature.

I had assumed we would get 70 or so issues, just like Preacher, Sandman and Transmet...

You didn't hear the announcement? I'm surprised... it was on all the major news networks and Dan Rather broke in on all network and cable programming last Thursday night during prime time to notify everyone.

confused-smiley-013.gif

You didn't hear the announcement? I'm surprised... it was on all the major news networks and Dan Rather broke in on all network and cable programming last Thursday night during prime time to notify everyone.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, that explains it...

Thursday was $5 table dance night at Cheetahs... foreheadslap.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, that explains it...

"Lookin' for thrills? Do not taunt wild animals. Try Popeye's instead!"

confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, that explains it...

"Lookin' for thrills? Do not taunt wild animals. Try Popeye's instead!"

There's nothing quite like leaving your shoes out in a sunbeam and letting them get warm before putting them on... thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif How could you not have known this? Are you sure you own a brick and mortar? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, BTW, I agree w/ you! cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

foreheadslap.gif How could you not have known this? Are you sure you own a brick and mortar? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who said I owned a brick and mortar? confused-smiley-013.gif

Keep spreading rumors like that and I won't bring any cookies when I come visit you in September. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Keep spreading rumors like that and I won't bring any cookies when I come visit you in September. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Our God is an indian that turns into a wolf.

Man, I hope "cookie" is code for stripper / part-time comic shop employee. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Man, I hope "cookie" is code for stripper / part-time comic shop employee. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That depends... you have room on your couch for my harem ... entourage ... employees? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Alrighty I have no idea if this is even close or not, but I always assumed that 100 bullets was a comic book about some guy who was out for revenge or something like that. He had 100 Bullets. Each issue would end in him using 1 of his bullets. There was going to be 100 issues and the last issues would result in him being out of bullets but having killed all of his enemies...now since it is big news that it will be going 100 issues this seems a little off...what is the scoop on this series...if this book is not like this maybe someone should make a book like that...I always thought that 100 bullets was a cool idea...

It's a "crime-noir" book that definately involves revenge. The basic premise is there is a guy that gives a briefcase to people that have been severely wronged by someone else. In the briefcase there is: a gun, 100 rounds of untraceble ammo, and all the evidence you need. They are told they have carte-blanche, and will never be prosecuted for anything that results. The rest is up to them.

As the series progresses you begin to see there is a much larger picture going on. I'm not going to get into all of that, but I highly recommend the series. Pick up the trades for one of the best comic books you'll read. thumbsup2.gif

All this time I thought it was a comic version of the short lived Fox series "Brimstone"

Ezekial Stone, a former cop, killed his wife's rapist and was later killed himself. He is sent to Hell for his crime. However, 113 evil souls have escaped, and the Devil sends him back to Earth to recover them. Both Stone and the escaped souls can only be harmed or killed by each other, and they can be sent back to Hell if their eyes (the "windows to the soul") are destroyed. If Stone can recover all 113, then he'll be given a second chance at life...or so the Devil says.

It's a "crime-noir" book that definately involves revenge. The basic premise is there is a guy that gives a briefcase to people that have been severely wronged by someone else. In the briefcase there is: a gun, 100 rounds of untraceble ammo, and all the evidence you need. They are told they have carte-blanche, and will never be prosecuted for anything that results. The rest is up to them.

As the series progresses you begin to see there is a much larger picture going on. I'm not going to get into all of that, but I highly recommend the series. Pick up the trades for one of the best comic books you'll read. thumbsup2.gif

So I was close but just a little off..I think that I still like my idea a little bit more. Plus it would be cool to have a story that you could see count down..anyway that sounds kinda cool..I wish I would have never asked though, and kept on thinking about it my way. grin.gif

Maybe I'm getting something different out of this series...

[spoiler Warning, sorry sorry sorry...]

There's this organization called The Trust, made up of representatives of the thirteen richest and most powerful families in the world. They actually run most everything, not in the sense that world leaders are their puppets (like the Grail organization from Preacher) but in the sense that they control world resources, power production, commodities markets, etc and manipulate things to get what they want.

Anyhow, this group, in order to keep the peace amongst themselves, has a watchdog group called the Minutemen, of which there are always seven. These guys make sure no member becomes too powerful or overtly moves against any other. They don't work for anyone in particular, and are not answerable to anyone in particular, except the whole Trust concept.

One day, a Trust member got it into his head that the Minutemen were obsolete. This was of course a power play, exactly the sort of thing the Minutemen are supposed to prevent. So they were all killed.

Or so the Trust members thought. Agent Graves, the head of the minutemen, saw it coming and arranged for his own survival, as well as several others. Some were killed though. The survivors he scattered around as sleepers under post-hypnotic suggestion until he was ready to deal with the situation.

Most of the storylines so far have been about Graves recovering his surviving agents. At least one, upon discovering who he had been, was no longer interested in the job. A couple of others joined back up. Since there are always supposed to be seven Minutemen, he had to recruit some replacements. That's where the 100 bullets come in.

Using the resources of the Trust, to which Graves still has some access, he proceeds to make contact with "potential" members. Members must have an overriding sense of justice (not necessarily legality) and duty, so there's a simple test: They are given 1) irrefutable proof that they were horribly wronged, 2) who is responsible, 3) a gun, and 4) ammunition. All, of course, totally untraceable so there's no fear of arrest or incarceration.

Then Graves waits and sees what they choose to do. If they take simple revenge and pop the guy that wronged them, they fail. If they confront the person and get themsevles killed, they obviously fail as well. If they see past their rage and their pain and arrange it so the person pays for what they did, they pass.

When Graves assembles his Minutemen, I suppose then we'll find out what he intends to do about the schism in the Trust. Take his own revenge, or put things right?

Yep! Perfect summation of the events thusfar! Bravo, Z!!!! thumbsup2.gif

True... but they probably also merit a serious SPOILER warning... since part of what makes the writing in the series so good is that the first 10-15 issues the reader has absolutely no clue about the bigger picture. And someone reading the series for the first time in TPB form may not enjoy it as much if they have that much background going in... 893naughty-thumb.gif

I know that part of my enjoyment of the series came from the guessing games early on, trying to figure out not only what the "victim" would do with their opportunity for revenge, but why in the world this Graves guy is handing out such power on a whim... I don't know that the first few storylines would have meant as much to me with that background knowledge...

Yep! Perfect summation of the events thusfar! Bravo, Z!!!! thumbsup2.gif

True... but they probably also merit a serious SPOILER warning... since part of what makes the writing in the series so good is that the first 10-15 issues the reader has absolutely no clue about the bigger picture. And someone reading the series for the first time in TPB form may not enjoy it as much if they have that much background going in... 893naughty-thumb.gif

I know that part of my enjoyment of the series came from the guessing games early on, trying to figure out not only what the "victim" would do with their opportunity for revenge, but why in the world this Graves guy is handing out such power on a whim... I don't know that the first few storylines would have meant as much to me with that background knowledge...

That's why my synopsis was so basic. I didn't want to get into the "big picture".

House has a good idea, Z......edit your post to include a "potential spoiler warning......

It sounds like I have to give this one another try. I tend to like Vertigo and more writer oriented books but I got the first trade and just thought was okay... Perhaps I read it too quickly? 'House, you got a 100 Bullets trade package deal?