• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best (non-greytone) WAR COMIC cover nomination thread-No superhero books, please

127 posts in this topic

Hello once again, my good friends! :hi:

I've done 3 DC War Comic Cover Survivor Series in the past and would like to mix it up now. Those contests had always morphed into a best "greytone" cover contest, as those are so damned appealing and basically just stand out the most.

This time, it's going to be different. No greytone covers allowed! :sumo: Secondly, it will not be limited to DC comics. I'm more than grateful to have nominations from all publishers. :foryou: I'll only be accepting nominations until Wednesday night, so get cracking. :banana:

EDIT: ONLY WAR BOOKS, PLEASE. NO SUPERHERO.

Your job, after you read this post, is to post your favorite covers here. Try to post the actual scan of the book, if you can.

Your choice can be a known classic cover, one you feel is classic, or perhaps one you think is superbly done. Really, just any cover that you like very much. We are eventually looking for the best of the best, so please keep that in mind when posting the books that you'd like to nominate. I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but try to select what you would consider to be really nice/cool.

I will accept all covers posted to this thread, as long as they have to do with war. After we get enough nominations, we can then have my "Survivor Series" for best non-greytone war covers. Each of the previous 3 Survivor Series I did, we had over 100 nominations. I'm hoping for that many again, so don't be shy and get posting, just make sure that they are nice. (thumbs u

If you need to see what some of the covers look like, there are many great sites that showcase covers. Here are two sites: right here and here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One exception: There's this book, a second-place winner in a previous contest (that has already been retired)

aamow94.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start us off with a few of my favorite DCs. (thumbs u

AAMOW #63

aamow63.jpg

GIC #62

gic62.jpg

OAAW #37

oaaw37.jpg

OAAW #100

oaaw100.jpg

OAAW #112

oaaw112.jpg

This thread needs some EC war.

Jack Davis:

TFT_30.jpg

George Evans:

Aces_high_3.jpg

and Harvey Kurtzman:

FC_05.jpg

There's something about the combination of Kurtzman's stylised art and the gritty subject matter that just works.