• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bored 'cuz I can't buy comics right now

33 posts in this topic

So... after having been on a buying spree for too dang long I am at the point where I have halted all my buying until I go to this summer's big cons (San Diego and Chicago). I am still selling on Ebay but not buying at all. It's driving me crazy. One of my favorite pastimes is to just scan Ebay, sometimes for hours looking for good stuff. Of course I won't allow myself to "window shop" or I'd be too tempted. So here I am, feeling a little bored and like I'm "missing something". I won't even allow myself to buy cheap comics 'cuz that always leads to bigger things.

I'm having withdrawals here, just taking it day by day. It is in my best interest to not buy anything now so I just have to deal with it and replace that time with other things.

Any of you ever suffer a similar dilemma? ------Sid

Any of you ever suffer a similar dilemma?

CONSTANTLY. crazy.gif I don't have a solution that's worked for me, but I think I know what I *SHOULD* be doing...selling books from my collection when I can make a profit on them. Spend enough years doing that and you should end up with many more books than you otherwise would've.

Whenever I go on a comic book spending freeze, you know what I like to do? Pull out the stuff I've already purchased and read it. cloud9.gif

So... after having been on a buying spree for too dang long I am at the point where I have halted all my buying until I go to this summer's big cons (San Diego and Chicago). I am still selling on Ebay but not buying at all. It's driving me crazy. One of my favorite pastimes is to just scan Ebay, sometimes for hours looking for good stuff. Of course I won't allow myself to "window shop" or I'd be too tempted. So here I am, feeling a little bored and like I'm "missing something". I won't even allow myself to buy cheap comics 'cuz that always leads to bigger things.

I'm having withdrawals here, just taking it day by day. It is in my best interest to not buy anything now so I just have to deal with it and replace that time with other things.

Any of you ever suffer a similar dilemma? ------Sid

893whatthe.gif

A controversial opinion to be sure, but it is what it is. confused-smiley-013.gif

I can respect that opinion and for some it is a good way to pass the time. Certainly makes sense to me. However, and many readers do not seem to realize this, but many of us collectors, at least myself, am not really a comic book reader. Sure I have read one here or there but I'd rather watch TV. Nothing wrong with reading the books, just doesn't float my boat.

I collect comics mainly because I like the art form, the collectibility, the neat covers, the history, and everything that goes with that including investment opportunities. But to be honest, I do not buy comics for the entertainment value that they were created for. Yeah, I'll flip through books looking at the neato pictures, but that is as far as I go for ther most part. However, I really do love these books, just don't read 'em is all.

I think the best way for me to pass the time now might be by taking one box at a time and looking for good CGC submission candidates. But THIS is the one aspect that I hate. I need to go through alot of books and doing my own pre-grading really gets boring. Oh well..... off to do some pre-grading foreheadslap.gif ------Sid

However, and many readers do not seem to realize this, but many of us collectors, at least myself, am not really a comic book reader.

Oh man, are you missing out.

Without the nostalgic and entertainment value of my books, they'd just be old newsprint and I'd toss them in the garbage tomorrow.

Seriously, I finally got a few runs of Hero For Hire going, took the best copies out for my collection and proceeded to read those puppies through. Stories, letter's pages, bullpen bulletins, cover to cover and when I got to that full-page spread advertising ASM 122, I felt like I was a kid back in my old room, reading some new comics before I went to bed.

If comics didn't allow me that combination of nostalgia and sheer entertainment, I can't see me collecting at all. And if it ever stops, I'm out.

893whatthe.gif

A controversial opinion to be sure, but it is what it is. confused-smiley-013.gif

I can respect that opinion and for some it is a good way to pass the time. Certainly makes sense to me. However, and many readers do not seem to realize this, but many of us collectors, at least myself, am not really a comic book reader. Sure I have read one here or there but I'd rather watch TV. Nothing wrong with reading the books, just doesn't float my boat.

I collect comics mainly because I like the art form, the collectibility, the neat covers, the history, and everything that goes with that including investment opportunities. But to be honest, I do not buy comics for the entertainment value that they were created for. Yeah, I'll flip through books looking at the neato pictures, but that is as far as I go for ther most part. However, I really do love these books, just don't read 'em is all.

I think the best way for me to pass the time now might be by taking one box at a time and looking for good CGC submission candidates. But THIS is the one aspect that I hate. I need to go through alot of books and doing my own pre-grading really gets boring. Oh well..... off to do some pre-grading foreheadslap.gif ------Sid

Well in that case, I have no sympathy for you. makepoint.gif

What titles do you collect again? Some of them might be decent reads and you don't even realize it.

Oh, I bet many are great reads, no doubt about it. But to be honest, my mind wanders too much when I read. I read great, but I have a hard time concentrating. Plus I have an insane habit of needing to examine every single detail of art on a panel before moving on. Really messes with the pace of the story and is frustrating to me. I stick to magazine articles and newspapers. For me reading a comic is just too slow due to my habit 893frustrated.gif. And I get very bored reading anything lengthy. confused-smiley-013.gif -----Sid

What titles do you collect again? Some of them might be decent reads and you don't even realize it.

Oh, I bet many are great reads, no doubt about it. But to be honest, my mind wanders too much when I read. I read great, but I have a hard time concentrating. Plus I have an insane habit of needing to examine every single detail of art on a panel before moving on. Really messes with the pace of the story and is frustrating to me. I stick to magazine articles and newspapers. For me reading a comic is just too slow due to my habit 893frustrated.gif. And I get very bored reading anything lengthy. confused-smiley-013.gif -----Sid

MUST CONCENTRATE MUST CONCENTRATE MUST CONCENTRATE!!!

Seriously just concentrate on reading the book! I have the same problem Make yourself do it pick out the best character that you like best and pick a story of books and MUST CONCENTRATE MUST CONCENTRATE MUST CONCENTRATE then read it!

Davidking623

Hi my name is Mark and I am a "comic-buying-aholic"

It's been 11 hours since I placed a bid on an auction. ( thanks) I have been trying to quit for some time now but I am hooked. I mean come on they were Steranko covers man cheap!!!! Get off my back.

BassGman you are a total freak!

And I can say that because I understand you man.

I don't read the damn things either.

OK I've come out and said it. I mean to, I really mean to. The Hush storyline, 1602, Superman/Batman, Ultimate Spiderman all that stuff is real cool I really should read it but I'm happy just looking at the covers and just knowing I have it. That's right just owning it is enough for me!!

GMan do what I do. Take the books out and carefully wrap them in Mylar or polypropylene, look them up in the price guide, line them up in a row and look at the covers (Hulk Gray looks great as a set). Take a big stack and flip through them. Aaaah. You don't have to read them to enjoy them.

I'm with you man!

BassMan I feel your pain. I have recently put the brakes on as I'm trying to be more patient and want to buy only my top favorites now that I have purchased about 40+ high price gems in the last 6 months. I have been going bananas just window shopping.

What I have done is go back and read all those comics I bought in the late 70's, early 80's. Avengers 165-190, X-Men 170-220, Thor 338-400, FF 207-280, ASM 228-275. Awesome stuff.

Unbelievable!

THUNK!!! That is my jaw hitting the floor!

Reading comics is what it is all about!

The best artist in the whole world can't carry a comic, it's the writting that makes it special!

The only reason a comic has any value (other than monetarally) is that the reader has a bond with the characters inside the book.

If comics aren't read they might as well be toilet paper.

A good example of this is the Byrne Claremont combo of the Uncanny X-Men!

John Byrne is an excellent artist but it was Claremont's writing that really made him shine!!

I mean just think if Dave Cockran illustrated all the way through issue 143 would that make it

less significant?

I mean admit it! You guys don't collect comics for the pretty art or writting you do it for the investment value only!!

And I bet I can prove it...

Q. do you own a Hulk 181?

Well if you do there is no way you bought that for it's Aesthetic Beauty

because that has some of the worst art I've ever seen in a comic of it's bronze time!!!

The lackluster illustrative style looks like it was from the Platinum era.

Oh well, I collect Comics and Action Figures and

I'm not ashamed to admit to anyone that I read them or display them.

I love my hobby, because it is a part of my life as a kid and an adult.

thumbsup2.gif

Oh, I bet many are great reads, no doubt about it. But to be honest, my mind wanders too much when I read. I read great, but I have a hard time concentrating.

You're not reading the right comics. I have a hard time concentrating on many older comics, but there are a BUNCH of more recent ones that I tear through like an ice cream sundae and wish that I still had more of once I'm done. Preacher, Ennis/Dillon Punishers, and Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man/Daredevil have all been like that for me.

I like Stan Lee, but I have trouble concentrating on his writing after having read the dozens of authors who improved upon his style. I do still find the early Spideys to be a decent read, however...but early X-Men? They're TOTAL sleeping.gifsleeping.gif

If you'd re-discover the right titles to read, it'd tie up some time and free up some spending cash...

Comics are an art form and great writing improves the final product. But I can, do and will buy them just for the pretty pictures too. I own a beat up copy of Hulk 181 and no not for the artwork and no not for the investment value ( it is really beat!) But because it is Hulk #181! It has wow appeal it is a "key" book. I am not going to sell it, but I'd be proud to hand it down to my son.

I love Marshall Rogers art on his Detective run and yes the books are great because of the story but I don't remember the writer and I still buy Cap'n Quick and Foozle comics because they are drawn by Rogers and the story is not quite as good, but I still love the books.

I buy for nostalgia, I buy for art, I like nice covers, I like the wow factor. Sure I buy some crappy stuff but who cares they are still comics and I can still love them even if the stories aren't great.

I really should read some of them though it makes the pictures better!

I really should read some of them though it makes the pictures better!

I agree with this sentence.

And it's cool that you are thinking of your kid for something to pass on to.

But you have to wonder what makes a KEY a KEY?

99 times out of a 100 it has something to do with the story.

That is where the significance lies.

I could argue until I'm blue in the face about art for art sake.

But remember this is a comic forum.

If this were a Porsche forum and you told me that you collected Porsches but didn't drive them

I would still say that you were missing the point, because it is all about getting the most out of life whether it is reading Action Comics #1 or Driving 130 MPH on the Autobahn in a suped up 911.

Oh well, it's your books - do what you will, like I know you're going to do it.

I just know that I've got the pleasure of knowing

that I have experienced my comics to their fullest!

And I cheerish them more because I've done so. smirk.gif

Yeah, I'll second what Cave just said. This reminds me of something quite different, but has a similar tone. I used to have a friend who was bisexual. Lost contact with him many years ago. Anyway, I did not know of his bisexual tendencies as he had hidden his attraction for men and only spoke of women. Then one day he invited me to the beach and spilled his guts. Maybe he "liked me", I dunno. Anyway, after telling me about his feelings for men he told me that he knew that ALL guys had at least some gay feelings, but just would not admit it. Not quite. Anyway, because HE was this way, he thought that everyone else was the same way. Well..... apples and oranges but some same ideas. I absolutely LOVE these comics. To buy, sell, hang on to, look at, talk about, study, reminisce, travel out of state for conventions, debate, and hang out on these boards up to hours each day. And I'm VERY nostalgic about the whole thing. But I do not read the things and have no interest in reading the things. I've read some, but no big deal. I still love my books and want more.

So, what have we figured out? Not all men have gay tendencies and not all serious comic collectors like to read their comics. Sounds easy enough to me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif -----Sid