• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A challenge From Beyond the Unknown

6 posts in this topic

Those of you not familiar with the D.C. series From Beyond the Unknown, it was a series that started in 1969 that reprinted old stories from Strange Adventures, Mystery in Space and Tales of the Unexpected. Being a collector with the budget that i have, these books were a perfect way for me to read these old classic tales without having to shell over $50 to $100 bucks a pop for the originals. It was a little while later that i actually learned that the covers for FBTU are actually recreations from the original books that these stories were printed in. Here are a couple of examples...

1-1.jpg

118-1.jpg

16-1.jpg

50-1.jpg

Now I have decided that i want to focus on collecting all the FBTU (which should be fairly easy) and their original cover counterparts (which should be a little harder).

The numbers on the left beginning with #1 are the issues for FBTU and the title and issue number following that is the issue with the original cover.

FBTU= From Beyond the Unknown

SA=Strange Adventures

MIS=Mystery in Space

TOTU=Tales of the Unexpected

FBTU Original Cover

#1 SA #118

#2. SA#82

#3. SA #150

#4. MIS#32

#5 . SA#55

#6. SA#85

#7 SA#101

#8 MIS#25

#9 MIS#34

#10 SA#56

#11 MIS#43

#12. SA#147

#13 SA#154

#14 SA#108

#15 SA#95

#16 SA#50

#17. MIS#30

#18 MIS#24

#19. SA#126

#20. SA#105

#21. SA#149

#22. TOTU#20

#23. SA#75

#24 TOTU#1

#25 SA #47

The covers for strange Adventures #226 and on are all recreations also.

The above part of this post was originally posted in a want ad I created in the want to buy section, and the majority of the people I talked to said they never knew about these covers being recreations so I thought I'd bring it up here in general since people seem to enjoy the information in the other thread.

If anyone has any of these issues for sale, please see my want ad here,

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5533924#Post5533924

I'll post updates of my progress in the want to buy section, and hopefully one day can provide a group shot of these books. If this is the wrong place to post this, sorry. I just wanted to share the info with a broader audience since alot of people don't know about the recreations, which IMHO, I think are pretty cool.

Thanks for looking!!

Excelsior,

Cool idea, keep us posted on your progress. (thumbs u

I have FBU #3 and Strange Adventures #150, both shown below. Note how the FBU cover has zeroed in on the astronauts, who have different suits and a redesigned moon vehicle. Not too mention, the Earth is on a more direct collision course. :o

FBU_3.jpg

STADV_150.jpg

No plans to sell the S.A. #150 in the immediate future, as I just picked it up last fall. One of my goals is to collect all of the Strange Adventures with the Atomic Knights & 150 is one of them.

I have a few more of the early issues of FBU.

For the life of me I'm not sure what the dude with the metal detector expects to find in a 3 foot deep foot print. lol

FBU_2.jpg