• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mid-Grade Keys for $400-500

35 posts in this topic

What are some good mid-grade keys to look for in this price range?? Going to con this weekend, and want to make a list!

So far, all it includes is....

1. ASM 14 (this is a big book for me to acquire)

2. Fantastic Four 5

3. Walking Dead 1

4. Incredible Hulk 181

5. Flash 123

What else should I be adding?!

Thanks for the help guys!

well what era keys are you thinking about? Looks like you are thinking Silver age, except for the inclusion of that Walking Dead book.. and that Bronze Hulk. Im assuming you are looking at CGCed not raw?

Its really about what revs your motor, what covers do you love, and what characters get you excited!

Here are some from my 2nd tier keys:

Tales of Suspense #48 (1st red/yellow armor on Iron Man) $500 should get you a CGC 8.0

Flash #110 (1st Kid Flash) $500 could get you a CGC 6.5

I agree with X, a FF#5 for $500 is going to be a real beater even in raw...

The first "Key" FF issue in your range would be FF #13 (1st red ghost, 1st watcher)GreggReece actually had a nice 6.5 on his site, but its on hold now. You could probably score a 7.0 if you are patient.

The other FF key cover would be #26 (with the Avengers on the cover) $500 could easily get an 8.0

What about The Avengers? Lots of them hitting the market these days with the movie coming out. Some actually at reasonable prices!

Avngers #16 has a nice iconic cover with Cap's "Avengers Assemble!" $500 should get you at least an 8.5

Im being marvel-centric since you listed a few Marvel titles...

anything to narrow the field?

low grade then......i'm cleary a Doom fan.

It'll definitley be a low grade copy. Doubt you'll even find one at that price.

Any of the Ditko Spidey's with villian 1st apps (9, 13, 14, 15). You can buy a pretty nice #39 or 40 with that money too. Maybe a 50.

Maybe FF 25/26. You could probably get a solid copy of one of those for the money.

If its Doom how about Avengers #25. Great Doom cover and $500 could get you all the way up to a 9.2!

FF Annual #2 is a nice key Doom cover too. $500 could get you an 8.5, maybe a 9.0 if you are lucky

My personal favorite Doom cover is FF #84, but maybe thats not key enough...

Good suggestions.......!! I prefer silver aged books, and am really open to anything as far as Marvel/DC. It doesn't have to be a doom book, and truthfully, ASM14 is the main thing I am after....especially after what I consider the tragic way I 'lost' the first ASm14 I had a chance at.......I just like to have a list of titles that I feel are something I would be interested and what condition I should expect for that price. Saves me from having to pull out the phone in front of the dealer.....!!

edit: I prefer graded books, however I am open to raw books as well!

What are some good mid-grade keys to look for in this price range?? Going to con this weekend, and want to make a list!

So far, all it includes is....

1. ASM 14 (this is a big book for me to acquire)

2. Fantastic Four 5

3. Walking Dead 1

4. Incredible Hulk 181

5. Flash 123

What else should I be adding?!

Thanks for the help guys!

Walking Dead 19

Walking Dead 27

I load up on them with the $500, then just buying a mid-grade comic you will be sitting with for the next few years.

2c

You could get a low grade (3.0 - 3.5) DD1 in that range. Could maybe swing a raw 4.0?

Some others that are a bit higher than mid-grade but still cool books (imo):

FF 48 - 7.5

Iron Man 1 8.0 (disregarding the 9k 6.5 that just sold on ha.com)

Journey 85 (1st loki) - 6.0

Lots of awesome stuff in your price range!

Planet Comicon in Overland Park I take it? I see you're from MO is why I ask....

I'll be there as well! Can't wait.

There's also...

ASM #129

X-Men #94

GS X-Men #1

Green Lantern #76

Star Wars #1 35-cent Variant

TMNT #1

And yeah, Iron Man #1 is always a good investment, and you could also pick up some high grade copies of #55 and #128.

Planet Comicon in Overland Park I take it? I see you're from MO is why I ask....

I'll be there as well! Can't wait.

Thats the one sir!

There's also...

ASM #129

X-Men #94

GS X-Men #1

Green Lantern #76

TMNT #1

And yeah, Iron Man #1 is always a good investment, and you could also pick up some high grade copies of #55 and #128.

I own both ASM 129 and GL 76.

Do you think you can get a TMNT #1 for that price?

There's also...

ASM #129

X-Men #94

GS X-Men #1

Green Lantern #76

TMNT #1

I own both ASM 129 and GL 76.

Do you think you can get a TMNT #1 for that price?

I never see mid-grades of the first print, but I assume they're out there.

great list Shelly, lots of good stuff. But that SW #1 35center has been going for a ton of late... the latest sale under $500 was a 4.5... yeesh! and they are about as rare as hens teeth!

I also love the JIM #113 (Loki origin). Great cover and $500 could easily get you a 9.0 maybe a 9.2