• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics: To Read or Not to Read. THAT is the question.

41 posts in this topic

Hi guys. First off let me thank you all. Reading many of your posts is much more entertaining to me than any comic book I have ever read. Granted, I have not read alot, but in my 40 years I have read enough of them to get the gist of what is going on. To put it simple, I am not a comic book reader, although I am a huge comic book collector.

Recently another thread that I started went OT and turned into a debate I was having about whether I should read my comics or not. I have zero interest in reading any of them, although just out of curiosity I may read one just for the hell of it. Maybe one a month, and usually I don't even finish it.

Most of you guys, probably more than 90% just love to read your books. Just for clarification purposes I am talking your "reader" copies as no one expects you to pull out those 9.8s to read. So anyways, reading your comics is cool if that is enjoyable to you. To me it is not. It's not bad, but it's just not that fun for me. And I understand some people being surprised that I do not read my books. For some, reading your comics is the whole thing, and grading and "collecting" them comes in far behind.

So, here is what I am really asking you "readers" out there. I have been told by a few that if I don't read my comics, then why bother even collecting at all. WHAT? As if reading my comics is the only reason to even be interested in comics? What do you guys all think of this?

First off, let me tell you why I like comic books as I've been a collector for over 25 years.

I love great comic book covers and have many favorite artists.

I love to peruse through the interior art as well, including old ad pages, and various other non-story goodies

I love the hunt involved with seeking out various runs in various grades

I love talking to others about comic books

I love going to comic conventions which includes going to panels and meeting other comic enthusiests

I love sending comics in to CGC

I love buying and selling comics on Ebay

I love much of the history of comic books

I love to reminisce about my younger days when I first bought the issues I am buying today

I love scanning through Overstreet to check out various statistics and market reports

I love reading Wizard every month to keep me up to date with new comics and fads

I love reading these CGC message boards

I love going to the San Diego con every year (12 in a row) which is by far the highlight of my year, every year

I love hanging the books with my favorite covers on my wall

I love trying to get non-comic guys into comics

I love investing in comics and flipping comics

I love seeing some of my favorite characters in comic book movies

I love debating who could win in a fight, this hero or that hero, etc.

I love pulling a comic out of one of my dozens of boxes that I forgot I had

None of these are in any order and I could probably think up about a dozen more reasons why I love comics if I wanted to put more time in to this.

But guess what? I DO NOT LIKE TO READ COMIC BOOKS!!!!!!!

Why? Just does not interest me very much. I've tried it and don't care for it.

For that matter I don't read regular books either except for reference purposes. I just don't care to read except for the newspaper and magazine articles. Reading bores me. Even reading "with pictures".

So, do some of you guys still think that there is no point in me even collecting comic books? Since I don't read them then should I just not bother? Some have said they feel sorry for me? Why? I am getting everything out of this hobby that I want and more. Sure, I may be missing out on part of it, but that part is nothing that means very much to me.

---------Sid

Actually I love to read the books more than anything. I grew buying all the new issues and rushing home to read each book. I have read every single book I own and am proud to have done that. It's fun knowing the history of the characters from the stories in which they happened. I guess that's why the Ultimate line doesn't appeal to me, is because I like the convulated history.

It seems like you are leaning more towards original art than actual comic books.

I would say reading 'em is important as generally that is the reason why you were drawn to the hobby in the first place. I myself feel it is necessary to stress the significance of pictorial sequential art and storytelling to those who have no knowledge or interest in the medium, as well as the context within which these stories were based (I'm thinking of G.A. and S.A., here).

Without discussing comics as a medium, outsiders simply assume that the entire hobby is nostalgia and monetarily based. Which could be construed as shallow, and also does a disservice to them - I am biased, but the difference between this hobby and coins or cards is the interaction between the artist, writer and the reader, who provides closure between each panel.

Having said that, ones' enthusiasm for reading comics will inevitably diminish in time (I'll never be able to get back the effect comic stories had on me when I was a kid).

I wouldn't say you have to read comics to be a comic hobbyist - all the reasons you mention for collecting are valid. However at the core lie the stories. I always believe it's paramount to remember why you got into the hobby in the first place, so I make the effort to read a few new books a month, plus a DC Archive or graphic novel. I wouldn't do this if I didn't enjoy them, though.

By all means one shouldn't exclusively read comics, and I admit that I don't read them as much as I once did, but if reading them wasn't historically at the core of the hobby, where would the medium be now?

So, do some of you guys still think that there is no point in me even collecting comic books? Since I don't read them then should I just not bother? Some have said they feel sorry for me? Why? I am getting everything out of this hobby that I want and more. Sure, I may be missing out on part of it, but that part is nothing that means very much to me.

---------Sid

Sid,

My only question is, "Why the drama?" As I said in the other thread, I have no problem with you collecting on your own terms. But if all you buy for is to flip books, then I don't have sympathy for you if you can't buy more of them right now.

On the other hand, if what you love about collecting is the many things you listed above, then by all means, keep collecting. My opinion (and anyone else's opinion) about what makes comic collecting fun should not affect what YOU enjoy about the hobby. So why even ask the question? It's YOUR hobby and YOUR collection, so who cares whether anyone else agrees with YOUR reasons for collecting? Just go with it, brother.

flowerred.gif

Hey Sid,

Don't be ashamed about how you choose to enjoy the hobby. Your love for comics is obvious every time you post here.

I love to read my comics, but I don't spend nearly enough time doing so and am subsequently WAAYYY behind in my moderns. Also, I'm obsessed with Fantastic Four but so far I have probably only read 20-30% of the issues I own.

I agree, though, that it may be an attention issue. I blame the Internet for my occassional lack of focus. I've gotten so accustomed to ingesting information at the speed of light in tiny bits and pieces that I sometimes get frustrated and distracted when I have to spend more than a couple minutes reading any one thing.

You had mentioned in another thread that you get too distracted looking at and admiring the art. I'd suggest buying some moderns that have a good story but really crappy artwork. Seriously. There are a couple books that I follow because I like the writer or character that I can really fly through because I don't like the art. Give it a try. Go buy some [!@#%^&^]! foreheadslap.gif

Sid,

My only question is, "Why the drama?" As I said in the other thread, I have no problem with you collecting on your own terms. But if all you buy for is to flip books, then I don't have sympathy for you if you can't buy more of them right now.

On the other hand, if what you love about collecting is the many things you listed above, then by all means, keep collecting. My opinion (and anyone else's opinion) about what makes comic collecting fun should not affect what YOU enjoy about the hobby. So why even ask the question? It's YOUR hobby and YOUR collection, so who cares whether anyone else agrees with YOUR reasons for collecting? Just go with it, brother.

flowerred.gif

Scott, I'm not trying to create drama but I did want to try and point out to others that somebody really can be interested in these books, and get alot out of them, without actually reading them. Also, I do not only buy books in order to flip them, although I do flip many. I'll admit that I intend to flip about 75% of what I buy, but when you consider how much I aquire, that other 25% is a heckuva lot that I am buying just because I like them. And for the flipping? Heck, it's fun buying and selling stuff that I like. I'd be bored to death flipping stamps, coins or sportscards and wouldn't even attempt it even if I was to find a great deal.

As far as somebody else asking about being tested for ADD? No, I don't have ADD and no learning disabilty either. But yes, my mind does wander when I read sometimes. Is it possible that maybe I just don't care for it?

I don't want this thread to be just about me by any means. I'd like to hear from anyone else out there that does not read their books, or at least rarely, or if it is just something that is a low priority for you when considering all the other aspects of the hobby. Anyone? I know there is at least a couple.

Hey, when I was a really little kid I did read a fair amount of those Archie digests. Does that count? --------Sid

You had mentioned in another thread that you get too distracted looking at and admiring the art. I'd suggest buying some moderns that have a good story but really crappy artwork. Seriously. There are a couple books that I follow because I like the writer or character that I can really fly through because I don't like the art. Give it a try. Go buy some [!@#%^&^]! foreheadslap.gif

Actually that is a pretty good idea. If I was to read any comics it would be the more realistic "human" type stuff like American Splendor by Harvey Pekar. The last book I read (my average of one book a month) was one of these issues and since the artwork is black and white and very simple, I was able to fly through it within minutes. I may try a few more of these if the urge comes up to read a comic. Thanks for the input Jimm. -----Sid

I'm 21 and I read more comics now than I did when I was like 10. I rarely read any of my books then. I think I probably started really reading them around the time I was 18. Although when I was in high school I would read reprint books like Marvel Tales, X-Men Classic, and Fantasy Masterpieces but nothing that wasn't a reprint. Now I will read books as long as they aren't keys above a 6.0 or my Golden age books.

I definitely can understand why you collect and don't read. You may be missing some things you may find you would enjoy but you won't know unless you read them. I read DKR because nearly everyone said it was the best story of all time and I hated it. I hated the story and I couldn't believe how much I hated Miller's art. Although I loved Miller's Visionaries 2 which reprinted DD 168-182.

If I am taking classes I won't read any comics until the semester is over because I spark note most of the things I'm suppossed to read and I just feel guilty if I am reading comics instead of my school work.

Sid,

All of the positives you list - there is no question you are going along just fine. Being a "reader" is only one aspect - and when compared to everything that collecting entails, it is a small aspect. You hit it on the head. The art, the history, the statistics, the hunt - all of these I actually rank higher for my own enjoyment than the reading. Because even when I am reading the comics, in the back of my mind are little ideas clicking like thinking who did the art, what the fashions were, how the cars looked, where this book fits in with the genre, etc etc. I don;t re-read very often. But I do re-peruse a LOT, just leafing through, looking at some panels, checking the ads, the indicia etc. You have nothing to worry about!

Actually afetr reading your post i remember something that occured when I was younger. I used to have this friend who I would go and buy comics with. We would go over to my house, his house, or another friend's house who also read comics.

Anyway, this kid would always buy comics that I didn't. He would buy titles like Ninja High, Amethyst, Arion, Blue Devil. I tried to read them, but really didn't care for them. Although I have picked up some of these issues from buying misc. collections, the books still seem lame. Although Blue Devil did have some readable issues. thumbsup2.gif

You seem to like the "comic book community" more than the books themselves, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I do.

Buying and selling, investing, talking with other collectors, etc. does work for some people, but I gotta ask, how long have you been collecting, and how did you manage to stay in the hobby during the Dark Ages after the 90's crash, when virtually all of the factors you aspire to dried up and blew away?

how did you manage to stay in the hobby during the Dark Ages after the 90's crash, when virtually all of the factors you aspire to dried up and blew away?

Joe - Sid lists 19 things that perk his interests. From the list below, how many do you see impacted by 90's crash?

"I love great comic book covers and have many favorite artists.

I love to peruse through the interior art as well, including old ad pages, and various other non-story goodies

I love the hunt involved with seeking out various runs in various grades

I love talking to others about comic books

I love going to comic conventions which includes going to panels and meeting other comic enthusiests

I love sending comics in to CGC

I love buying and selling comics on Ebay

I love much of the history of comic books

I love to reminisce about my younger days when I first bought the issues I am buying today

I love scanning through Overstreet to check out various statistics and market reports

I love reading Wizard every month to keep me up to date with new comics and fads

I love reading these CGC message boards

I love going to the San Diego con every year (12 in a row) which is by far the highlight of my year, every year

I love hanging the books with my favorite covers on my wall

I love trying to get non-comic guys into comics

I love investing in comics and flipping comics

I love seeing some of my favorite characters in comic book movies

I love debating who could win in a fight, this hero or that hero, etc.

I love pulling a comic out of one of my dozens of boxes that I forgot I had"

I am Scott, BassGMan is "Sid."

Scott,

All of the positives you list - there is no question you are going along just fine. Being a "reader" is only one aspect - and when compared to everything that collecting entails, it is a small aspect. You hit it on the head. The art, the history, the statistics, the hunt - all of these I actually rank higher for my own enjoyment than the reading. Because even when I am reading the comics, in the back of my mind are little ideas clicking like thinking who did the art, what the fashions were, how the cars looked, where this book fits in with the genre, etc etc. I don;t re-read very often. But I do re-peruse a LOT, just leafing through, looking at some panels, checking the ads, the indicia etc. You have nothing to worry about!

The really sad part isn't the not reading of comics but the not reading at all. What I wouldn't do to wipe my head clean and be able to read some of the classics, literature I mean.

Back to comics, If I could wipe my memory clean and read only one series of comics it would have to be X-men 129-142, Daredevil 227-233, and Batman 404-407 and Dark Knight 1-4. Throw in some Barks Scrooge issues and I'd be happy for hours. Spider-man 298-328 weren't bad either but you'd have to have still know Spidey history to really appreciate those.

But every single time I open up a new book all I do is shake my head and wonder what ever happened to the really good books that I read in the 80's. Its not that I think my era is the best, the X-men sucked then too (186 on up) but comics don't even try anymore.

So I only read a few nowadays but Sids reasons all ring true with me as well, though my passion is not as strong as his.

You seem to like the "comic book community" more than the books themselves, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I do.

Buying and selling, investing, talking with other collectors, etc. does work for some people, but I gotta ask, how long have you been collecting, and how did you manage to stay in the hobby during the Dark Ages after the 90's crash, when virtually all of the factors you aspire to dried up and blew away?

Hi Joe, yeah I do love the comics community. That is why I spend WAAAAYYY too much time on these threads. But I do love the books as well. My collecting history started at about age ten, continued through age 17, sold everything to get money to spend on girls, got back in at 21 and now at 40 I'm going strong as ever. I even owned a faltering comic store for a year and rarely had a customer. Even then I did not read the comics in the shop while I was bored. During the 90s I was not buying or selling nearly as much as today. As a matter of fact, I took a semi-break during most of that time except to hit San Diego every year to catch up and to buy a few nice piles of books. There were maybe seven or eight years where I brought $1,500 each year to buy comics ranging from $1 to $25 each. All of those were just because I liked them. These days I spend a lot more money and buy many to resell in order to help support this hobby. -----Sid

The really sad part isn't the not reading of comics but the not reading at all. What I wouldn't do to wipe my head clean and be able to read some of the classics, literature I mean.

Back to comics, If I could wipe my memory clean and read only one series of comics it would have to be X-men 129-142, Daredevil 227-233, and Batman 404-407 and Dark Knight 1-4. Throw in some Barks Scrooge issues and I'd be happy for hours. Spider-man 298-328 weren't bad either but you'd have to have still know Spidey history to really appreciate those.

But every single time I open up a new book all I do is shake my head and wonder what ever happened to the really good books that I read in the 80's. Its not that I think my era is the best, the X-men sucked then too (186 on up) but comics don't even try anymore.

So I only read a few nowadays but Sids reasons all ring true with me as well, though my passion is not as strong as his.

Amazing Spider-Man #229 to 251 were pretty sweet too. That was a great couple of years on that title -- probably my favorite in fact. Roger Stern was a great Spidey writer and John Romita Jr's first run on ASM during this period was his best work in comics, IMO.