• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All I Really Need To Know I Learned From A Comic Book...

47 posts in this topic

This thread is being started for a fellow Brad (Redhook)

The idea came about in the Marvel Store thread and continues here so that we don't completely hi-jack that thread...

I was making the comment that it seems that people that are into comics tend to be great parents. There are the exceptions to the rule no doubt. From what I've seen, though, is that people who are comic readers tend to be more attentive to their children and more caring.

Any thoughts on this?

I agree with this, and I believe it's because collectors naturally remember and appreciate their childhood pursuits to some level, and can better relate to their own child's interests and hobbies.

On the flip side, I HATE all this "get your kids hooked on comics" BS, as I despised when my relatives would try and get me interested in stamps and coins when all I wanted to do was collect sportscards and comics.

I WILL NOT be that kind of a parent. sumo.gif

On the flip side, I HATE all this "get your kids hooked on comics" BS, as I despised when my relatives would try and get me interested in stamps and coins when all I wanted to do was collect sportscards and comics.

I WILL NOT be that kind of a parent.

I don't think you need to worry about it these days jc; kids are merciless and will sooner call you out if they think your geeking out on them, and probably leave you feeling old and worthless because you tried to close the generational gap with something that isn't cool to them or that they just don't get gossip.gif

Hey, why not try and close the generational gap with something the KIDS are interested in.

One of my friends at work knows all the tricks to many PS/2 games, since there isn't a kid alive who doesn't want to whoop his dad in a cart game. A great time is had by all. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey, why not try and close the generational gap with something the KIDS are interested in.

One of my friends at work knows all the tricks to many PS/2 games, since there isn't a kid alive who doesn't want to whoop his dad in a cart game. A great time is had by all. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't know -- call it the old way of thinking -- but I think that something important may be lost in upbringings that limit meaningful interaction with other kids and engaging in some form of physical activity. I see ny nieces growing up in the gaming age, and they are totally consumed by television and games -- they don't get out that much, and the little that they do, its to talk about cheat codes and borrowing each others games foreheadslap.gif When I was a kid, all I needed to do was knock on a few friends doors, have a hockey stick in hand, and some good runners, as we'd surely smash a neighbours car window at some point during the game.893whatthe.gif

When I was a kid, all I needed to do was knock on a few friends doors, have a hockey stick in hand, and some good runners, as we'd surely smash a neighbours car window at some point during the game.893whatthe.gif

Ah, there are some good things to be said about the current generation. thumbsup2.gif

When we'd play road hockey it was always in a parking lot, as we were upstanding citizens even then, and I hate these little 893censored-thumb.gif who play on 60 KM 4-lane streets like it was stil 1965. tonofbricks.gif

call it the old way of thinking

No way. I agree with your post 200%. I like video games, and I think they have their place with children, but the amount of time kids are spending on video games compared to other activities(particularly athletic) is disturbing. Childhood obesity should be an oxy-insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but is actually a borderline epidemic.

I am taking my daughter Julia who is 13, to her first comic con this Saturday. She sez she want to go. I'll give you a field report. We may end up having lunch with Captain Tripps.......and DAM60 if he can pull his butt away from the racetrack, although I don't blame him.

And thanks Apo! thumbsup2.gif

I WILL NOT be that kind of a parent. sumo.gif

Well J.C.

Would you agree with me that back then....... or now.. Coins and stamps cannot hold a candle to comics from a kids perspective.

So while I agree with you that we should not force comics on our kids if they are not interested..

.. I cant help but think that a 10 year old kid would be more open to listening to what you were saying.. and reading a few beat up old Batman, or Spiderman comics.. with you.

Then listening to you try and explain to him why a Wheat penny is worth more, and why steel pennies are more rare, and how this stamp was only produced in the Bahamas.. and that stamp is rare because it was printed backwards.

Same as why you didnt want to listen when you were a kid.

Your relative collected stamps, and coins, if they collected comics would you have been turned off? perhaps.. but more then likely you would have hung around.. looking..peeking in the room, and hoped they threw you a comic to read.

I would say we dont need to get our kids "Hooked" on comics, but as a fan.. I would do my best to try and share my hobby with any kids that seems interested, if not now.. then years later when he remembers his youth. and fondly thinks about that old guy who showed him a few old comics when he was a kid, and tries to see if he can find them on Ebay.

So J.C. I still dissagree with your view on this subject.. same as in past threads.

Doesnt mean I am right.. or you are wrong.. only how I feel.

Comics are not stamps or coins, or old flip books.

Comics have lasting art, and stories,and a history of society that seem to relate to old and new generations alike .....comics might not be timeless.. but they sure seem to have made it this far.

And I for one think they will have a place forever.

Perhaps not with the fervor we care about them.. but to kids.. comics are cool.. till girls and cars become more important.. then kids grow up.. have kids.. and those that re- discover comics as an adult..

For the same reasons we were smitten by this hobby.

Ooops.. I have drifted a bit OT.

Z

I agree with this, and I believe it's because collectors naturally remember and appreciate their childhood pursuits to some level, and can better relate to their own child's interests and hobbies.

As I have said a few times, I really started reading and collecting comics when I was about 30 because my godson asked me to collect them with him - he was about 10 at the time. But I agree because, even though I came into it backwards, so to speak, comics gave us a tremendous amount to talk about, speculate over, quest after etc. and definitely made me feel like a kid. It was like I was actually acquiring nostalgia. We had some great times.

Would you agree with me that back then....... or now.. Coins and stamps cannot hold a candle to comics from a kids perspective.

Nope, it's just from our perspective.

When my Dad was a young lad, he collected coins and sports cards/items religiously, which lead to him collecting these as an adult. We may not think coins are any big deal now, but back then, they were apparently the cat's meow.

It was the same with stamps for my grandfather, he collected those since he was a little kid, traded them with friends, and they were quite popular.

What's important is to remember that what adults view as a "perfect kid's collectible" is likely not what kids see it as. If I were 10 years old now, I doubt I'd read a comic, especially since it's tailored for a more adult audience and available in specialty stores only.

"I was making the comment that it seems that people that are into comics tend to be great parents. There are the exceptions to the rule no doubt. From what I've seen, though, is that people who are comic readers tend to be more attentive to their children and more caring."

I don't know if I would call us great parents for reading comics, but, reading comics broadened by imagination as a kid, and it also provided an education. I think the first time I ever used a dictionary was to find out about some long word that Stan Lee had put in a comic. I was very proud to know some "high fal-lu-ting" words before any of my peers.

I think the first time I ever used a dictionary was to find out about some long word that Stan Lee had put in a comic.

You can say that again. I remember one of the very first comics I pulled off the rack was Captain Marvel #32. It blew my mind, and here I was a little (admittedly very bright) young lad just beginning to read, and being faced with some pretty deep concepts and words like "sadism", "debris", "ego" and "metamorphosis" (I still remember them to this day).

After a few "what does X mean?" my parent's weren't too pleased with me. grin.gif

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving kids comic books to read, hoping they might get into them. After all there are far worse things a kid can be doing than reading comic books. grin.gif

Forcing then down their throat is not good though, if they like them great, but let them make up there own minds. Kids these days are not exposed to comic books and every now and them I like to present them with that extra choice.

Forcing then down their throat is not good though, if they like them great, but let them make up there own minds. Kids these days are not exposed to comic books and every now and them I like to present them with that extra choice.

There's a big difference between sending some TPB's to my nephew (which I did) and some of the hardline "we must create more collectors, indoctrinate your child now!" BS I see on here from time to time.

I think the first time I ever used a dictionary was to find out about some long word that Stan Lee had put in a comic.

You can say that again. I remember one of the very first comics I pulled off the rack was Captain Marvel #32. It blew my mind, and here I was a little young lad just beginning to read, and being faced with some pretty deep concepts and words like "sadism", "debris", "ego" and "metamorphosis" (I still remember them to this day).

After a few "what does X mean?" my parent's weren't too pleased with me. grin.gif

Yeah, and my folks just called them silly "funny books"....they just didn't know the answer either. Of course I still call them "funny books" too out of habit.

Please note that the above quote was edited so as not to provide further annoyance to fellow forum members. 893whatthe.gif Just kidding JC.

Nope, it's just from our perspective.

When my Dad was a young lad, he collected coins and sports cards/items religiously, which lead to him collecting these as an adult. We may not think coins are any big deal now, but back then, they were apparently the cat's meow.

Umm.. isnt there a forum , and a whole community that collects coins, and still finds then quite pertinent? , and you also said earlier in your post .. all I wanted to do was collect sportscards and comics., did you Dad share his sports card hobby with you?

It was the same with stamps for my grandfather, he collected those since he was a little kid, traded them with friends, and they were quite popular.

And as I said before.. you really mean to tell me that to a kid.. stamps and comics are viewed in the same light? cmon.. lemme see.. superpowers and explosions, beating up bad guys, or stamps...which would a kid choose.. no matter the generation.

What's important is to remember that what adults view as a "perfect kid's collectible" is likely not what kids see it as.

I never said it was a perfect collectible, only that you cannot compare your families interest in stamps, and coins to comics.

We collect comics J.C. , Comics have a certain "wow, cool" factor to more kids then not, stamps and coins. are ... sleeping.gif to most.

All I said in my previous post was If your relatives collected comics back then.. you would more then likely would have been alot more interested in what they were doing, as opposed to your abhorrence of the coins, and stamps they were pushing.

We still agree to dissagree.. you will have to come up with a better response then that to convince me..

confused-smiley-013.gif

And as I said before.. you really mean to tell me that to a kid.. stamps and comics are viewed in the same light? cmon.. lemme see.. superpowers and explosions, beating up bad guys, or stamps...which would a kid choose.. no matter the generation.

That's the problem, you don't seem to be able to see the generational differences between the "kid fads", and somehow believe that comics are automatically *better* than anything else.

I was at the corner store tonight, and saw two boys acting like "me as a kid". They had some variety of Yu-Gi-whatever/DragonBallz/Harry Potter (didn't get a close look) cards in their hands, while both counted out their change to see if they had enough for another pack. grin.gif

That is their hobby, and comics as a kid's hobby is likely as alien to them, as coins and stamps would be to you.

That's the problem, you don't seem to be able to see the generational differences between the "kid fads", and somehow believe that comics are automatically *better* than anything else.

I was at the corner store tonight, and saw two boys acting like "me as a kid". They had some variety of Yu-Gi-whatever/DragonBallz/Harry Potter (didn't get a close look) cards in their hands, while both counted out their change to see if they had enough for another pack. grin.gif

That is their hobby, and comics as a kid's hobby is likely as alien to them, as coins and stamps would be to you.

Speaking from somebody who has an eight year old, Yu-Gi-Oh is the hottest thing on the planet. BUT he's also into Spider-Man and X-Men and Teen Titans and Justice League, all from the cartoons. The mistake both Marvel and DC are making is not trying to grab this demographic. Cheap comics, one and done stories, the same sort of manga-ish artwork that the cartoons have, all of that would be good. I don't think collecting comics is alien to my son and his friends. I think the industry isn't trying to reach them.

The biggest problem comics have today, and there clearly are many, is that somebody can't pick up a comic and read it without knowing 30 years of backstory. Give some kid a copy of an X-Men book, and he'll have NO IDEA what is going on.

Apoth.. I got OT on your original post topic.. sorry.

I think you are accurate in your post title.. as comic collectors.. we are all big kids for the most part, and that cannot hurt when it comes to raising, and relating to our kids.

Earlier I was re reading some of your past posts on unfair Tax's and Kids from the Super Size thread etc...

and I wanted to first off say I understand how you feel, you are being forced to foot the bill for my kid(and others) , with your higher tax's.

Same as I am being forced to support the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who abuse Welfare, and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who as you say.. have 6 kids and dont have a job, or the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who dont have car insurance, but cause acciednts, so it eventually drives up my premiums.

I can agree with you that it is not fair.

But I also have no better answer for it all... it is obviously a heated topic.

What I will do is ask you accept the tax system that we have in place.(for the kids)

I am not ultra wealthy, but we do very well, and hope my 7 month old Ellen will grow up and can foot her own bill to college.. since I already decided she is going to be a combo-- Doctor/NASA Astronaut/Tennis Star/comic book collector.

Of course I am j/k... she might think I am loonie for collecting funny books, or she might become the first female CEO of MARVEL.. I have no idea.. but will support her in whatever she decides to do.

And the next time you have to pay extra tax's.. remember her ... I took this photo today after her afternoon nap.. and will post it here for you.

Ellenstandingincribsmall.JPG