• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mythology experts out there - Is this Thor with a spear?

28 posts in this topic

Do any of you guys have similar kind of objects/books/art (on mythology)?

I only have a couple of books on this, nothing worth mentioning, mainly Nordic and Japanese.

I have a few antique Griffins I've collected over the years :)

Pics? :sumo:

So after hunting around, the image this seems to be based on is Wotan and Brunhilda :acclaim:

So all of you who said Odin you were correctamondo, :applause:

as was Ken Aldred who said possibly Brunhilde. (thumbs u

Why I love this place, you can learn so much here.

Thanks for the help!!!

Well, let me throw potential Monkey Wrench into the findings so far.

I pulled out my Encyclopedia of Mythology and found some other close paintings done by F. Leeke in 1875 and 1890.

The first is named Odin and Brunhild and depicts Brunhild (a Valkyrie) seeking Odin's forgiveness for defying him and assisting her half brother Siegmund. Odin has the Winged Helmut and his Spear Gungnir and Brunhild is kneeling at his side.

And while the above would seem to confirm the Odin/Brunhild theory, the second painting (Odin Taking Leave) is closer to the Fireback but depicts Odin clasping and kissing his WIFE before diving into battle.

And no my scanner won't work so no Pic - sorry...

This, from "Die Walküre at the Met – Part II of Wagner’s epic cycle Der Ring des Nibelungenshould" appears to shed some light on it:

"Wotan sired nine daughters (the Valkyrie) during a visit with Erda the earth-goddess. He also sired the twins Siegmund and & Sieglinde during an affair with a mortal woman . . ."

Wotan pronounces sentence on Brünnhilde. Tells Brünnhilde that disobeying his direct order was the worst crime a child of his could commit and she must be punished severely.

She is stripped of her god-hood to become a mere mortal . . and put into a magic sleep . . . and shall become the property, i.e. wife, of the first man to find her.

Brünnhilde pleads that Wotan doesn’t make her become the wife of a coward and to put a spell around her so that a hero can find her.

Wotan agrees and summons Loge to create a ring of fire that can only be crossed by “a man so brave he doesn’t fear me.”

The caption I found on one painting was "Wotan kisses away Brunhilde's godhood".

This seems to corroborate the story line of the opera above :)

This, from "Die Walküre at the Met – Part II of Wagner’s epic cycle Der Ring des Nibelungenshould" appears to shed some light on it:

"Wotan sired nine daughters (the Valkyrie) during a visit with Erda the earth-goddess. He also sired the twins Siegmund and & Sieglinde during an affair with a mortal woman . . ."

Wotan pronounces sentence on Brünnhilde. Tells Brünnhilde that disobeying his direct order was the worst crime a child of his could commit and she must be punished severely.

She is stripped of her god-hood to become a mere mortal . . and put into a magic sleep . . . and shall become the property, i.e. wife, of the first man to find her.

Brünnhilde pleads that Wotan doesn’t make her become the wife of a coward and to put a spell around her so that a hero can find her.

Wotan agrees and summons Loge to create a ring of fire that can only be crossed by “a man so brave he doesn’t fear me.”

The caption I found on one painting was "Wotan kisses away Brunhilde's godhood".

This seems to corroborate the story line of the opera above :)

It's funny that no matter where you turn to look this up the story is always a bit different and Bruhilde's name is spelled a half dozen different ways.

here's a sepia version of the painting that you have already found and which is almost certain to be the model for your Fireback. It's by Konrad Dielitz from 1893 and is called "Odin's Farewell to Brunhilde".

Odin-Brunhilde-L.jpg

Cool :headbang:

I want to see if he was the first artist to paint this scene, or if it is a copy of an earlier painting of a master.

But considering where I was yesterday, i know a lot more about the image.

wotanbrunhilde.jpg

wagpaintoilgigantic01.jpg  

There isn't a great deal of difference between Wotan and Siegfried in the two paintings. Now I'd say that Siegfried looks a bit too old.   Intuitively, without doing any Google research, I interpreted the scene as mortal Siegfried having braved his way through the ring of fire to awaken Brunhilde ; a much more powerful image from the Ring Cycle than  immortal Wotan simply placing his daughter into a magical sleep.  So, an easy mistake, just from looking at the cast alone and not knowing the actual source material.

There isn't a great deal of difference between Wotan and Siegfried in the two paintings. Now I'd say that Siegfried looks a bit too old.   Intuitively, without doing any Google research, I interpreted the scene as mortal Siegfried having braved his way through the ring of fire to awaken Brunhilde ; a much more powerful image from the Ring Cycle than  immortal Wotan simply placing his daughter into a magical sleep.  So, an easy mistake, just from looking at the cast alone and not knowing the actual source material.

Totally agree. Thanks again for the tip that helped solve the puzzle (thumbs u