• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Bad Do I Want An FF #60 Newsstand Variant?

63 posts in this topic

This bad.....

I call it a solid 8.0 (possibly an 8.5 on a CGC "good" day) with White Pages.....

x-mengs1.jpg

I will trade anyone this issue for a genuine Fantastic Four Vol #3 #60 $2.25 Newsstand edition.

I'm serious..... thumbsup2.gif

More info can be found on my website.....

Jim

What does a regular one look like and what does the variant look like?

confused-smiley-013.gif

(small scans please)

Why do you want that FF so badly?

I'll answer why I want it- because it's fricken impossible to find. I'm offering money for a SCAN of the book, just so I can see what it looks like with my own two eyes. GS X-Men #1 is valuable, but getting one is just a matter of applying enough money to the problem. This book? Between a bunch of us on here (including Flying "I can get anything" Donut)we've been looking for this book for a year and we've come up with zero copies. I could have bought a longbox full of GS X-Men #1 in that time.

The regular has a big 9c price bullet. I believe the only difference with the full priced version is that it's missing the bullet and it's got $2.25 on it somewhere.

This is the regular one, I'm offering $5 for a verifiable scan of the variant.

87_1.JPG

Rob...do you know..for a fact..that it exists???...

It does exist. Jim (awe4one) saw many on base in 2002 when it was released, and I've received a scan from a person who had one. I imagine the print run for it was probably under 1% of the entire print run (as this book had a MONSTROUS print run, 750K if I remember correctly), and, given that the overwhelming majority of this book costs nine cents, the variants were probably never purchased and pulped.

Just as an FYI, there are at least four other newsstand variants I know of, Daredevil 41 (25 cent comic shop price), X-Men 423 (25 cents), Hulk 55 (50 cents), Avengers 77 (50 cents), all of which I've got.

I can find anything - for example I know where all five of Ian's books are (but they're at a stratospheric price), but I have NEVER been able to find an FF 60 newsstand.

Yes. Several board members saw them on the shelves in one form or another, it's in the Price Guide and we had a Marvel Editor confirm it's existence in a recent email.

It does exist. Jim (awe4one) saw many on base in 2002 when it was released, and I've received a scan from a person who had one. I imagine the print run for it was probably under 1% of the entire print run (as this book had a MONSTROUS print run, 750K if I remember correctly), and, given that the overwhelming majority of this book costs nine cents, the variants were probably never purchased and pulped.

Just as an FYI, there are at least four other newsstand variants I know of, Daredevil 41 (25 cent comic shop price), X-Men 423 (25 cents), Hulk 55 (50 cents), Avengers 77 (50 cents), all of which I've got.

I can find anything - for example I know where all five of Ian's books are (but they're at a stratospheric price), but I have NEVER been able to find an FF 60 newsstand.

Is there a premium placed on those other newsstand variants you mention (enough for me to scout them out, I mean)? What was the newsstand cover prices for those other books?

"I can find anything"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Flying Donut,

I dont mean to go off topic but do you know anyone that is selling a CGC 9.6 Daredevil 6. I have been looking for this book for a long long time. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx.

GS X-Men #1 is valuable, but getting one is just a matter of applying enough money to the problem. This book? Between a bunch of us on here (including Flying "I can get anything" Donut)we've been looking for this book for a year and we've come up with zero copies. I could have bought a longbox full of GS X-Men #1 in that time.

That's completely missing the point of why I'm offering this trade. Apparently, asking for the issue isn't working. I've had my ad in CBG running for four weeks as well as asking on my website and the Internet newsgroups. I've have five responses in that time. Three sent scans of the 9 cent copy, one never had the issue, and another sent me a doctored photo (CBG has been informed). Also, I've contacted at least 10 dealers in the States with no success. Two of those dealers, including one of biggest back order dealers in the country, promise me one when they find it....

So....either no one that frequent these avenues have the issue (most likely), arent seeing it, aren't inclined to see if they have the newsstand copy, or aren't motivated enough to deal one. Maybe this trade offer will spark their inattention.

I personally think the collectors that have a copy aren't aware of what they have and their brains don't connect when they see someone asking for the issue. So what better to get them to see but offer one of the most desirable Bronze issues for essentially less than $10 overall? Also, I'm assuming most people that have this issue likely either cannot afford a very nice copy of GS X-Men #1 on their own or aren't willing to pay the money needed to get one.

Frankly, I think the best chance of me getting one will be from an overseas servicemember or their family. We are pretty tied to the Bookmart unless we have a mail-order dealer from the States. I have numerous servicemembers that frequent my website....

If this doesn't work, I can't think of any other way of getting one outside of accidently stumbling upon one on a fluke. I like the chances of this offer getting me one better.... grin.gif

Jim

The regular has a big 9c price bullet. I believe the only difference with the full priced version is that it's missing the bullet and it's got $2.25 on it somewhere.

This is the regular one, I'm offering $5 for a verifiable scan of the variant.

87_1.JPG

It's in the UPC box....

Jim

GS X-Men #1 is valuable, but getting one is just a matter of applying enough money to the problem. This book? Between a bunch of us on here (including Flying "I can get anything" Donut)we've been looking for this book for a year and we've come up with zero copies. I could have bought a longbox full of GS X-Men #1 in that time.

That's completely missing the point of why I'm offering this trade.

Sure, but I really wasn't commenting on why you were offering this trade. I was trying to illustrate the difficulty in finding the book and offering a glimpse of why I want the book. Hence the first (unquoted above) line of my post: "I'll answer why I want it- because it's fricken impossible to find."

I wasn't about to answer for your motivations or strategies. I know it's sometimes a favorite past-time around here, but I try to stay out of that arena.

Of course, I was also using it as a roundabout way to get in a dig at the ready availability of Bronze Age Marvels. thumbsup2.gif

Correct if I am wrong in this:

The newsstand copy was only sold at newsstands and bookstores, more than likely on a return unsold basis. The people who buy comics from these places are not traditional collectors, therefore they might not realize what they have.

Contacting dealers would yield no results, because they only deal in the direct editions. By placing an ad in CBG you are only reaching collectors and not the people who would buy the newsstand version.

Does this make sense?

The newsstand copy was only sold at newsstands and bookstores, more than likely on a return unsold basis. The people who buy comics from these places are not traditional collectors, therefore they might not realize what they have.

Correct.

Contacting dealers would yield no results, because they only deal in the direct editions. By placing an ad in CBG you are only reaching collectors and not the people who would buy the newsstand version.

Dealers buy collections all the time so they may see them. Also, apparently MH had a stash of these but have since run out.

Placing an ad in CBG will reach these dealers as well as some collectors (admittedly a very small percentage) that read the publication but buy their copies off the newsstand. I fall into that category for example. I receive a very small mail-order packet every month and get the bulk of the purchases off the newsstand.

Jim