• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will TPBs eventually increase in value?

90 posts in this topic

Perhaps its just semantics,but wouldn't an original TPB be called a Graphic Novel.It used to be that if they were compilations,they were TPBs.If original,they were Graphic Novels. Has this changed?

I recently saw a Leather-Bound hardcover of Watchmen for $100 at an LCS here in Philly two months ago.

The Miracleman trades are expensive because the rights have been tied up for years. Watch as prices for those plummet once the reprints come out soon (and that'll happen very soon I think).

Don't know about Supreme.

I know an LCS in Jersey which has the Hawkman 1st printing tpb...stacks of em. all for cover or less.

I have the Solar Aplha and Omega trade... PM me if you want it.

I also have the Conan Essential volume (bought for cover) and the Captain Britain early edition by Davis and Delano (which I bought for cover four months ago).

My point is that I believe all of these "rare" trades are generally available for cover or less, but you need to search the LCSs for them... but they're out there.

I'd love to find some trades in their first printings and I'd pay a premium for them. I'm sure there are others out there like me.

Try finding Miracleman trades in nice shape for cover price.

Try finding a Watchmen Leather-Bound Hardcover for under $150.

Try finding a V for Vendetta HC for under $100.

Try finding the Supreme: The Story of the Year first print for cover price (only a few thousand of these out there).

Try finding some of the rarer VALIANT trades like Solar: Alpha and Omega, Magnus Robot Fighter Steel Nation and the Quantum and Woody editions for cover price. Or the Unity Diamond special editions for under $150.

Try finding the Hawkman by Kubert trade paperback for cover price.

How about the Ultimate Marvel Team-Up HC for cover?

Or the Beavis and Butt-Head trades ...

Some of this stuff is really rare and DOES command a premium. The best example one can give is the Miracleman trades. Then maybe the early printings of the Saga of the Swamp Thing trades, the first printings of Watchmen and V For Vendetta ... the first printing of Captain Britain by Jamie Delano and Alan Davis ... a Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo ...

I've got hundreds of trades in my collection and, in some cases, I'd sell or trade the originals and keep the trades. I personally like my signed and limited HC Kingdom Come and my error edition of Crisis On Infinite Earths HC.

Also, the Conan Essential Edition from Marvel is a very tough find. It took me several months to get one, then Marvel quit printing it, and I've seen it sell for big bucks online.

Perhaps its just semantics,but wouldn't an original TPB be called a Graphic Novel.It used to be that if they were compilations,they were TPBs.If original,they were Graphic Novels. Has this changed?

The trade paperback term is used by bookstores to refer to a particular size of softcover volume. It isn't specific to comics at all. Unfortunately the term "graphic novel" is confusing for a lot of people outside our hobby, giving them visions of a copy of The Hobbit that has extra pictures in it. So for convenience TPB is becoming the norm for most any softcover material. Even the prize-winning "Blankets" which was the very definition of a graphic novel is referred to as a TPB by many... confused-smiley-013.gif

My point is that I believe all of these "rare" trades are generally available for cover or less, but you need to search the LCSs for them... but they're out there.

And my point would be that the price is not "cover or less" if it involves search time...

Does any price variant collector really believe that the Marvel Team-Up 48 they found at a show for $1 only cost them $1?

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 1 current printing is available for cover or less in lots of different places, with no searching needed... You can find a copy of an Onslaught trade for cover price, but the opportunity cost is very, very high. And you have to factor that into the equation...

House...

I agree with that... I guess since I'm not "collecting" first prints I'm never actually looking for them... so I'm never spending any time... I just happen to be in so many LCSs I find all these supposedly "rare" items generally for cover. So for me, I don't feel like I'm investing any extra time into the search... but I figure if I stumble onto them that easy, if you were looking for it and spending minimal effort, you could find many of these items.

I'm just not a huge believer in the value of trades going up significantly when I remember seeing many later printings driving the prices of first printings down significantly... 1st print Masterworks have been devalued... 1st print Archives likewise... I know of few softcovers that have value added for 1st prints... so it's only the very rare HCs I think we're talking about.

Cough cough (limited edition) cough cough (manufactured collectible) cough cough (not applicable to normal TPBs) cough cough...

Sounds like you could use some Robitussin..... insane.gif

Jim

This fascination kids have with Japaneese manga is not just because it's cool or supposedly new. They are not half as stupid with their money as some people may assume. They are far more eager to drop $5 on a large black and white mag with 6-7 different stories in it than 2.99 on a 32 pager that just happens to be in color. My son thinks comics are cool and so do the rest of his friends. But here's the rub. They do not want to read them. They want the trades. My son loves USM and UXM. I have the comics. He will not read them. Instead, he just waits for the trades to be released. He can throw it in his backpack and haul it all over the place. He only nedds to take 2 or 3 with him and he will have tons to read.

I hear you there.

Everytime I see a 13 year old whip out there flip-phone, and place a call to what sounds like their broker, I know times-are-a-changing.

One-shots - Are these considered TPB's in some cases? Is there a page numer criteria to be a TPB?

CRC