• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Artist's Edition do you want?

47 posts in this topic

Ditko Spider-Man and Dr. Strange.

Good suggestion.

Something that is much less commercially viable and more wish list...  I can see the black and white wash art he did for Warren's horror magazines being even more impressive.

Ditko's Warren art is stunning. It may be problematic trying to assemble complete stories of that work, whereas there are complete Spidey and Dr Strange stories out there in the hands of collectors (plus a few ASM covers).

I own three Ditko mid-1960s superhero covers, two of which saw publication (as high-res scans) in a Ditko retrospective by Craig Yoe.

That's what I thought myself, a bit of a wish list item.  Pity, because that Edition would be quite something.

If the artist keeps records of who he sells the pages to it's relatively simple to integrate the body of work together again.  On Comic Art Fans I read that this is the case with David Mazzucchelli and 'Born Again', thankfully.   In contrast, in the mid 80s I remember Comic Showcase selling pages from DKR and Watchmen, which could've been broken up and sold to just about anyone who walked in the shop, and putting something like this back together again may prove quite problematic.

That's what I thought myself, a bit of a wish list item.  Pity, because that Edition would be quite something.

If the artist keeps records of who he sells the pages to it's relatively simple to integrate the body of work together again.  On Comic Art Fans I read that this is the case with David Mazzucchelli and 'Born Again', thankfully.   In contrast, in the mid 80s I remember Comic Showcase selling pages from DKR and Watchmen, which could've been broken up and sold to just about anyone who walked in the shop, and putting something like this back together again may prove quite problematic.

Comic Showcase on Neal Street . . . used to call in there on my infrequent trips to London. Never had any interest in the DKR and Watchmen stuff (not my era of interest/nostalgia), but they had some great Silver Age pages at giveaway prices.

Someone (David himself I heard) had scans before the pages were sold. Those scans were used f9or the Artists Edition I believe. They did not contact people who own pages to "re-assemble" the book. I know, as I have a page and it did not happen.

Realistically, I think we have a solid shot at the following:

-Romita Sr Amazing Spiderman volume 2

-Romita Jr Amazing Spiderman

-Dave Sim Cerebus

-George Perez New Teen Titans

-George Perez Avengers

-Dan DeCarlo Archie (Pep, Jughead), whatever title you fancy

I'm not sure it would help if the artist kept a list of who they sold pages to. Depending on the time lapse, it is very probable that most original art pages have changed owners several times since the original sale.

As any art collector who has tried would testify, it is almost impossible to put together ONE book that has been broken up, never mind a five or six issue run.

So unless, as in Mazzuchelli's case, the artist kept high resolutions scan of all the art themselves, we may be restricted to run's where the art is all still together.

Still, it's fun to have a wish list and there have been some awesome suggestions made here. :cloud9: