• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 49 CGC 9.6

46 posts in this topic

Why is it okay to be anal about structure .....but not EYE APPEAL ? confused.gif

Nothing wrong with it at all. As I said in my first post above, "everyone has their own preferences". People can be as selective, or non-selective, as they want. I personally would admire someone who was holding out for perfect structure and perfect QP.

I think some of the people posting on this thread, including myself, were simply responding to the initial posting about the mis-wrap, where the poster seemed to be implying that it was a truly horrendous miswrap like some of the high grade ASM 129s or IH 181s that have been discussed on these boards. When we opened it, it didn't seem all that bad. In my mind, it was the equivalent of someone ragging on a 9.6 because of a horrific crease and then, upon seeing the book and seeing a tiny 1/16 crease on the spine, wondering what the big fuss was all about.

I didn't click the link until after my first couple posts. I expected the miswrap to be much worse than it actually was.... confused-smiley-013.gif

1. Its mis-wrapped

We should buy it and burn it.

Just to clarify, I am not saying the book is un-collectable because of the mis-wrap. Just that I would expect a virtually perfect book at this grade and price.

Actually there was a sale of a 9.6 a couple of years ago for $4600, so that price isn't crazy at all- beyond the normal "wow CGC books sure sell for a lot of money" crazy that you could apply to every book that sells for multiples of guide.

I'm pretty sure the copy that sold for $4600 on Heritage was bought by "essoilman" for $2100 on ebay about six months before Greggy sold his copy. Since essoilman rarely sells unless he gets a better copy, I suspect he sold the copy because he thought it was overgraded; I was second bidder behind him on ebay but I didn't go higher because there was a 1/8" color-breaking newsstand crimp in the black on the spine that looked a bit severe for a 9.6. I could be totally off because I obviously haven't seen the book in person, although Heritage does have a huge scan of it.

I thought $4600 was INSANE for that book at the time, and I still do. But ah well, who knows what we'll think in 5 or 10 years. confused-smiley-013.gif

1. Its mis-wrapped

Just to clarify, I am not saying the book is un-collectable because of the mis-wrap. Just that I would expect a virtually parfect book at this grade and price.

I still think we should burn it.

1. Its mis-wrapped

Just to clarify, I am not saying the book is un-collectable because of the mis-wrap. Just that I would expect a virtually parfect book at this grade and price.

I still think we should burn it.

Buy it, give it to me, and then tell everyone you burned it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifstooges.gif