• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead - Second Governor page sell for $2,300?

134 posts in this topic

That Issue 1 page is back on the bay because the seller said: "I was attempting to raise my reserve, but unfortunately ebay won't allow this as i'm a new sellerr"

ay caramba, that's just bad business practice. Seller becomes greedy at the last minute and it compromises the whole selling process.

That Issue 1 page is back on the bay because the seller said: "I was attempting to raise my reserve, but unfortunately ebay won't allow this as i'm a new sellerr"

ay caramba, that's just bad business practice. Seller becomes greedy at the last minute and it compromises the whole selling process.

Right. Why raise the reserve? Except for as you said, pure greed. The page was sold with the $4000 reserve met and was poised to go much higher. If he was able to raise the reserve ($6000? $8000?) he doesn't know if the new reserve would have been met. He may not have scared off the die-hards, but his flakyness will certainly drive away those leery of a 0FB seller to begin with.

I hope the tube he ships it in is reliable :baiting:

Just had a look at the new auction myself. This bit of info is interesting:

Those concerned with my lack of ratings should know i'm a professional in the comic book industry with a reputation to protect, and i'm not looking to rip off anyone.

Curious why he doesn't say who he is and why he wants to remain anonymous. Seems his name could hold some weight and not have folks so skeptical of a 0FB seller.

2c

Right. Why raise the reserve? Except for as you said, pure greed. The page was sold with the $4000 reserve met and was poised to go much higher. If he was able to raise the reserve ($6000? $8000?) he doesn't know if the new reserve would have been met. He may not have scared off the die-hards, but his flakyness will certainly drive away those leery of a 0FB seller to begin with.

I hope the tube he ships it in is reliable :baiting:

Unless, of course he was getting off ebay offers to sell, and one of them mentioned he had bid a lot more for the piece while on ebay and he got the shakes thinking about leaving that cash on the table if no one else bid and tried a little 3 card monte with the reserve price to cash in on the heretofore unattainable stoopid money bid.

Pretty sure that this famous person is Bill Crabtree, the colorist for Invicible. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is who it is.

EDIT: Confirmed it is Mr. Crabtree.

Why not just state that in the auction? I'm sure it would result in more bidders and a higher end result. (shrug)

Here are a few quick scans of some from the last batch ordered. I have around 14 pages of Michonne goodness now plus 3 more on order. I may need to eventually start a page over at CAF for my stuff.

Issue #92 Page #6

photo68e.jpg

Issue #79 Page #20

photo69g.jpg

Issue #63 Page #19

photo70l.jpg

Issue #93 Page #19

photo71n.jpg

I just bought a new scanner/printer today that is big enough to scan these in so I am gonna set that up and hopefully scan the rest in later tonight to post them. I am sick of these iPhone pics. :)

Here are a few quick scans of some from the last batch ordered. I have around 14 pages of Michonne goodness now plus 3 more on order. I may need to eventually start a page over at CAF for my stuff.

Issue #92 Page #6

photo68e.jpg

Issue #79 Page #20

photo69g.jpg

Issue #63 Page #19

photo70l.jpg

Issue #93 Page #19

photo71n.jpg

I just bought a new scanner/printer today that is big enough to scan these in so I am gonna set that up and hopefully scan the rest in later tonight to post them. I am sick of these iPhone pics. :)

Great pages! Which scanner model did you buy? I'm looking for one as well.

The Walking Dead #19 cover is now on ComicLink. The asking price? $50,000.

Wow, nice piece!

That's probably higher than the marketplace can bear in my opinion.

I can think of a lot better investments to spend $50,000 on than that cover.

But it is one of a kind, and if someone has the "gotta have it" passion, and there's two people with that same intense drive, "let the bidding war begin!"

To me, it's sort of like when Todd McFarlane bought the Mark McGwire then historic record breaking home run baseball... a one of a kind item... an item at the pinnacle of it's popularity... and he paid the peak of the value, which after interest died down with both the fact that McGwire isn't a likely going to the Baseball HOF due to being part of the 'roid era, and the record was subsequently broken by both Sosa and Bonds...

I see The Walking Dead #19 being a good book, and the art a good piece. I don't see much room for growth in value on the upside, and I see tremendous risk on the downside of the value going down if let's say the TV show is canceled, or the character in the comic, Kirkman decides to kill off.

There's been original art featuring the 1st Appearances of other comic book characters that have sold recently in the last 5 or so years for far less who are mainstays such as Power Girl, Black Cat, Deadpool, Gambit, etc. - - So, I'm not sure she's worthy of that price tag as an investment. I think the cover is worth more like $10k (maybe up to $15k), figuring most Walking Dead covers are worth about $2-3k, any especially nice covers are worth $5-8k, and this is a 1st apperance. Plus, I generally value comic art at 100x what the comic book is valued at, so a $150 comic book's original art is $15,000. That's a general guide more than a rule. So, for those $2 books, a value of $200 per page is about right sometimes (but in other cases worth only $40).

As a purchase for passion, then if that's the sole reason and motivator, I can't disagree with what anyone wants to pay, and it is a nice cover artistically and the character is good.

That's probably higher than the marketplace can bear in my opinion.

I can think of a lot better investments to spend $50,000 on than that cover.

But it is one of a kind, and if someone has the "gotta have it" passion, and there's two people with that same intense drive, "let the bidding war begin!"

To me, it's sort of like when Todd McFarlane bought the Mark McGwire then historic record breaking home run baseball... a one of a kind item... an item at the pinnacle of it's popularity... and he paid the peak of the value, which after interest died down with both the fact that McGwire isn't a likely going to the Baseball HOF due to being part of the 'roid era, and the record was subsequently broken by both Sosa and Bonds...

I see The Walking Dead #19 being a good book, and the art a good piece. I don't see much room for growth in value on the upside, and I see tremendous risk on the downside of the value going down if let's say the TV show is canceled, or the character in the comic, Kirkman decides to kill off.

There's been original art featuring the 1st Appearances of other comic book characters that have sold recently in the last 5 or so years for far less who are mainstays such as Power Girl, Black Cat, Deadpool, Gambit, etc. - - So, I'm not sure she's worthy of that price tag as an investment. I think the cover is worth more like $10k (maybe up to $15k), figuring most Walking Dead covers are worth about $2-3k, any especially nice covers are worth $5-8k, and this is a 1st apperance. Plus, I generally value comic art at 100x what the comic book is valued at, so a $150 comic book's original art is $15,000. That's a general guide more than a rule. So, for those $2 books, a value of $200 per page is about right sometimes (but in other cases worth only $40).

As a purchase for passion, then if that's the sole reason and motivator, I can't disagree with what anyone wants to pay, and it is a nice cover artistically and the character is good.

Funny, I think that OA prices have 0 to do with the physical comic's value. As a real quick extreme example, OA from X-Men #1 by Jim Lee vs the comic, there's not a correlation.

Maybe it also has to do with eras, and older stuff that rule of thumb works better for?

So, I'm not sure she's worthy of that price tag as an investment. I think the cover is worth more like $10k (maybe up to $15k), figuring most Walking Dead covers are worth about $2-3k, any especially nice covers are worth $5-8k, and this is a 1st apperance.

I think any Tony Moore cover is worth much more than 2-3k. Most interior pages are 2-3k. lol

So, I'm not sure she's worthy of that price tag as an investment. I think the cover is worth more like $10k (maybe up to $15k), figuring most Walking Dead covers are worth about $2-3k, any especially nice covers are worth $5-8k, and this is a 1st apperance.

I think any Tony Moore cover is worth much more than 2-3k. Most interior pages are 2-3k. lol

The Rick in the hospital bed page just sold for $8k...so, umm yeah, the starting point seems off a bit. lol

The Rick in the hospital bed page just sold for $8k...so, umm yeah, the starting point seems off a bit. lol

I'm gonna agree with Rick on this one. He said ". . .most Walking Dead covers are worth about $2-3k" not distinguishing between Moore or Adlard. And since Adlard has the lion's share of the covers and most fall within that range, Rick is on the money, as it were.