• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image's America's Got Powers & Aspen's Idolized

31 posts in this topic

Is it just me or do these two titles have the exact same premise: a tv show for young people with powers to compete to be on the official super team of America?

"[America's Got Powers is an] Image series set to debut in April that follows a group of super-powered teens in televised competition for the chance to be in their world’s preeminent superhero team." newsarama.

"IDOLIZED #0

David Schwartz – Writer / Micah Gunnell – Art / David Curiel – Colors

Aspen Comics proudly presents their first ever super-hero series, IDOLIZED!

Welcome to the mind-bending new comic book series about a TV show where super-powered teens and 20-somethings are competing for the ultimate dream-prize: a guaranteed spot in that world’s top super-group, The Powered Protectors. The chance of winning offers fame, fortune, massive endorsement deals and, of course, a chance to actually save the world. Kids who dream of being worshipped as the next great, iconic hero would be falling all over themselves to get on — and hopefully even win — the show." Previews solicitation.

It may be cool to see which one does better and/or if they both work and/or most super hero comics have about the same premise anyway ... what do you think? I'm going to pick up both books. I"m not sure how heavy I'll get into either of them though.

Any idea what the ratio is on the variant cover of America's Got Powers ... apparently my copy has serious spine creases and I've had to order other copies, but I am afraid I paid too much for the additional copies of the variant. Any information is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

Also in case anyone wasn't aware, Forbidden Planet is holding a double signing in London and they are selling some of them on their site.

http://forbiddenplanet.com/83297-americas-got-powers-1/

They also have a Forbidden Planet Sketch Variant

http://forbiddenplanet.com/85820-americas-got-powers-1-forbidden-planet-sketch-variant/

thanks for the information...i went ahead and ordered 5 of the sketch variants (signed).

That's alright, we are all in it together. I don't know whether to order one or not and if I might regret not ordering one in the near future hm

The main difference is one is aspen (blergh) and the other is Image. If i see one more aspen book with JT Krul and Talent Caldwell, I'm g oing to puke.

America's Got Powers 1 is a really good read. I encourage everyone who has an opportunity to pick it up. The art is beautiful. I knew too much about the plot to enjoy it as much as I would if I had read it cold. It was a great week for Image comics.

The premise for America's Got Powers 1 reminded me a little of the film The Running Man, in a good way. I thought it was a great intro/origin issue with plenty of action intermingled with character and story advancement. I've never heard of the writer Jonathan Ross, but commend him on a job well done.

Bryan Hitch's art is big. I always love the "widescreen" look he gives his books. He never disappoints.

I look forward to issue 2.

Mine were clean as well (though I honestly wasn't excited about this book). The art was solid (as is to be expected from Hitch), but honestly, the story was just meh. It's Rising Stars + Hunger Games + America's Got Talent.

Not terribly inspired, IMO.

This is what mine looked like...

Wow, that's horrible. LCS copies here are clean, even the variant. Sorry to hear that.

There was a variant?

Yup. One of my LCS buddies handed it to me and I figured why not.

But I'm not feeling the issue so I may let this story go.