• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image's America's Got Powers & Aspen's Idolized

31 posts in this topic

25:1 varant I got from my LCS had spine creases and I had to order other copies (which sucked). I enjoyed the first book. I thought it was much better than the first issue of Thief of Thieves for example (although that book got 1000 times better by issue 3. I definitely thought that the fist issue of Secret stole the week as far as #1's go. I think I would have enjoyed AGP more if I didn't know so much about the plot before I read the issue. I'm interested to see where it goes. I'm actuallly upset that it is a mini series and not an ongoing title because I think there's a lot of material that is going to have to get crammed into six books if they intend to resolve all of the issues. The only thing that bothered me about the book was the fact that it didn't explore the emotions surrounding the prior death. I'm trying to be vague because I imagine that there are a lot of people who are going to check this thread out before they pick up the book. I would suggest that those who have not read the book check it out if they like super hero books. It you're not into super hero titles, this isn't the book for you. The tough part for AGP is that there are so many quality books being published by Image at the moment it may get lost in the shuffle. If you like super hero books I would also make sure that you pick up Danger Club #1. Danger Club was amazing. It was also a stronger first issue than AGP #1 in my opinion. But, again, I don't know how I would have ranked titles if I didn't know anything about AGP before I read it.

The premise for America's Got Powers 1 reminded me a little of the film The Running Man, in a good way. I thought it was a great intro/origin issue with plenty of action intermingled with character and story advancement. I've never heard of the writer Jonathan Ross, but commend him on a job well done.

Bryan Hitch's art is big. I always love the "widescreen" look he gives his books. He never disappoints.

I look forward to issue 2.

Jonathan Ross is the UK equivalent of David Letterman. He has been a TV and radio host since the eighties and is a household name over here. He's a comic nut since childhood and recently produced a documentary about Steve Ditko.

May 30 was a "Fifth Wednesday," giving comics readers an extra week in May to pick up new comics. They — and comics retailers — responded by snapping up ... the highly anticipated second issue of AMERICA'S GOT POWERS by Jonathan Ross and Bryan Hitch.

America's Got Powers No. 2 sold out and the second printing of AMERICA'S GOT POWERS #2 (APR128259) will be in stores on June 27, the same day as AMERICA'S GOT POWERS #3.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38955

I haven't had an opportunity to read AGP No. 2, but I'd like to hear what everyone thought of the issue. The first issue was beautiful, but I feel like I knew too much about the plot before I read the issue to really enjoy it. I have high hopes for this series (even though it's scheduled to be a mini series), like many new Image titles, I'm hopeful that it's sucess will inspire the creative team and Image to green light the book for an ongoing title. I really like the premise for the book. Whether it was intentional or not, I think the book is a cultural critique of the increasingly vicious culture in America which is becoming more and more blood hungry (boxing isn't bloody or violent enough so now we have ultimate fighting, people are increasingly angry and vicious towards one another, instead of having a handgun to protect one's home, people are stockpiling automatic and semiautomatic weapons, the reality TV shows are designed to humiliate and expoloite people, etc.). I hope this series does a good job of portraying what is going on with the reality TV culture and America's increasingly violent and angry culture. Enough of my cultural critique, please let me know what you thought of this book and whether it has a future and whether you are in for the long hall and why. Thanks!

Jonathan Ross has a huge amount of inside knowledge of how TV and the entertainment industry works, so I definitely think that there is a very strong satirical thread running through the central premise of this series.

I spoke to him recently at the London Kapow! Show, and he explained that it's getting harder and harder to get documentary programs green lit as the networks chase the next trend in reality shows, so this is definitely something that is informing his writing on this book.

I am and I enjoy it and America's Got Powers. I think they are both well written and have great super hero art. If they were published at a different time in a different market they would be too incredibly popular titles. I feel bad for the creative staff on these books b/c they are putting out some great work that is overlooked by many who have a limited budget and a limited amount of time to read comics in a market that is saturated with awesome comics.