• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC go back to multi show holds..... please

36 posts in this topic

I have a question (and bear with me as I'm fairly drunk and I've never gone the SS route) but wouldn't it make sense for CGC to step out of the process-and maybe this is step one? So they'll provide a witness for a sig that will be immediately sent to CGC.

But wouldn't it make sense to have licensed and bonded individuals who aren't working directly for CGC (beyond the initial licensing/approval that CGC would give) that could cart your SS books around and grab multiple sigs? Might be a nice little profit center for CGC (licensing fees and registration for customers-probably even an individual sig fee, so they can track progress on the book when it eventually arrives) as well as for people in the industry who have developed some trust (ie you bags of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed) who spend a lot of time around artists. I don't know, it's a thought. (Granted, a drunken, rambling thought, but I think it has some merit).

I have two books that I have had to reslab three times, and they are going on their fourth time this summer; there is one specific person who, if I ever found, would be worth doing a fifth reslab and getting a sixth signature for.... hm

I have a question (and bear with me as I'm fairly drunk and I've never gone the SS route) but wouldn't it make sense for CGC to step out of the process-and maybe this is step one? So they'll provide a witness for a sig that will be immediately sent to CGC.

But wouldn't it make sense to have licensed and bonded individuals who aren't working directly for CGC (beyond the initial licensing/approval that CGC would give) that could cart your SS books around and grab multiple sigs? Might be a nice little profit center for CGC (licensing fees and registration for customers-probably even an individual sig fee, so they can track progress on the book when it eventually arrives) as well as for people in the industry who have developed some trust (ie you bags of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed) who spend a lot of time around artists. I don't know, it's a thought. (Granted, a drunken, rambling thought, but I think it has some merit).

lol That's pretty close to the old witness based system that used to be in place before the 2010 overhaul.

I have Swamp Thing 1-10 waiting for Wein and Wrightson sigs, why can't they they be at the same shows :pullhair:

I had the same thought when I saw Wein on the guest list for the Dallas show in May, since Wrightson was there last year, but then Bernie showed up on the list for Big Wow the same weekend... :cry:

I got to do a hold exactly once at the end of last year, and it was great. But it is easy to see why CGC would get out of that business (I remember thinking that it had to be unprofitable when I was taking advantage of it). Maybe if CGC just jacked up the fee, to $15 per book or something like that, it would work. They would be better compensated, probably have fewer of them, and a die-hard SS nut like us would still come out ahead over a crack and resub.

At $15 per book that is very nearly the price of a non-SS modern submission. That is why I picked that particular price point for the sake of argument. It is cheaper than a full SS submission, so we would save money over a resub/crack situation, but CGC is still getting compensated at just about the level of a regular submission without having to actually grade/encapsulate a book (so the profit would actually be higher for them as there is less time/material cost involved).

I think a $15 surcharge with a 30 day / 1 show (whichever occurs first / no refunds for cancellations / certain creators or celebrities not allowed - Morrison, Miller, Johnns, Kirkman, etc...) hold would generate additional revenue and those that really want that signature would take advantage of it.

That is a long sentence...

..... (so the profit would actually be higher for them as there is less time/material cost involved).

You are omitting the costs of additional storage, insurance, logistics/tracking, transportation, loss of goodwill when something goes wrong and a myriad of other "invisible" costs that all add up. These are the likely reasons why the policy was changed in the first place. When CGC started adding up all of these costs, they likely came to the conclusion that they were better off doing away with the service entirely, since the cost was approaching the individual SS submission cost anyway and left them far more open to liability.

Now every time I add a Brady kid to my Brady Bunch book, I have to get it reslabbed. :cry:

I would worry about the book being damaged being slabbed and mailed back and forth so many times.

Well, as it relates to the Brady book, it is a 7.0 photo cover from 1970, so it is not subject to vagaries of fate that a 9.8 is.

..... (so the profit would actually be higher for them as there is less time/material cost involved).

You are omitting the costs of additional storage, insurance, logistics/tracking, transportation, loss of goodwill when something goes wrong and a myriad of other "invisible" costs that all add up. These are the likely reasons why the policy was changed in the first place. When CGC started adding up all of these costs, they likely came to the conclusion that they were better off doing away with the service entirely, since the cost was approaching the individual SS submission cost anyway and left them far more open to liability.

All true. I was going off of their previous assessment that $5 was a reasonable cost for them to provide the service taking all those factors into account. Since their assessment has changed, then perhaps tripling the amount would offset their new concerns and make it worth their while.

When a company offers a service and then removes that service, people are disappointed. I don't blame anyone for wanting this back. Perhaps CGC should never have been offering this option in the first place.

I loved it, too. I was the beneficiary umpteen times. But seriously, just because they were doing something that was great for us and terrible for them from a fiscal standpoint, don't you thinnk it is kind of stupid to say, "Hey it would be nice if you guys brought back a couple of your most profit-destroying ideas from the past."

:popcorn:

DWC I believe they can hold if they have private signings with Stan and other legends, so why can't they hold for shows if they would be willing. Sharon and Chandler can you help us comic folk with this dilemma.

I can give an example in regards to that. I wanted some Lady Mechanika's signed at the Amazing Arizona Comic Con by Benitez and Steigerwald, I wanted those same books signed a couple weeks later in New Orleans by Ale Garza. DWC was handling all of this for me. I had to fast track my books for Arizona to get them back to DWC for New Orleans.

Essentially my books went to Arizona then got slabbed, went to New Orleans, got cracked and slabbed again all within a month or so. Seems like a waste of time, money and materials, but I can't blame CGC for wanting to do it that way.