• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales 103

26 posts in this topic

A pence copy unfortunately, but not too shoddy. Any grading guesses?

Sorry I never respond to these myself, but I find grading scans just about impossible. I'm in awe of the regulars in this section. 893applaud-thumb.gif

strange_tales_103.jpg

With the size of the scan and no back cover scan it will be difficult to grade. Something is going on near the "S" along the spine that I can't make out and I see a few traverse stress lines on the spine. The corners look fantastic so it looks like a 9.0 to a 9.2, but becuase of what I can't make out on the scan it could go as low as an 8.0 in my opinion. Very nice book regardless thumbsup2.gif

This is the back cover.

strange_tales_103b.jpg

I'd happily supply a larger scan, but I can only host up to this size. If any friendly forumite can help...

I'll go along niko at 8.5, although there appears to either slight wear along the edges or tanning, I can't tell which from the scan. This may bring it down to an 8.0 - a Very Fine Book!

Does anyone actually buy these pence copies, though? I think they are a hard resale, but I'd love to have it in my collection. smile.gif

Hard to say, but spine looks like it has too many minor creases for a 9.0

And is that TLC got a vertical crease? or is that scanner artifact?

I would say a safe 7.5 perhaps 8.0

perhaps.

Is that a crease or color loss by the "S" in "Strange Tales," or what? If not, then I'd say 9.0 to 9.2. If it is color loss, then 8.5. If it is a crease, then 7.5.

It looks like it's in the VF range to me. The crease on the left is pretty light, so I'm guessing it would grade out at about an 8.0. Maybe an 8.5 on a lucky day, but I personally wouldn't go that high based on what I can see from the scan.

Either way, an extremely tough book in VF or better. Nice! thumbsup2.gif

It looks like it's in the VF range to me. The crease on the left is pretty light, so I'm guessing it would grade out at about an 8.0. Maybe an 8.5 on a lucky day, but I personally wouldn't go that high based on what I can see from the scan.

FFB,

I think if you look at or respective grades on most of the posted issues, we generally grade the same. Scans are hard, although I doubt with books in hand we would disagree at all. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all the replies and particularly to Ze-Man for hosting.

I bought the book around 1990 and I think it was supposed to be about a VF+. I don't own many slabs in this range, but it does look nicer than a couple of 8.0's from the same era. I'd like to think it would pull an 8.5

Do you think there is any mileage in getting it slabbed or does the pence price make it a waste of time? I'm planning on selling my Strange Tales run soon, so I'm mainly interested in if I'd make on the cost of any slabbing.

Thanks again guys.

FFB,

I think if you look at or respective grades on most of the posted issues, we generally grade the same. Scans are hard, although I doubt with books in hand we would disagree at all. thumbsup2.gif

David,

I think you're a really good guy, but you're on the crackpipe if you think I'd give your GS Man-Thing anything higher than a 5.0. hi.gif27_laughing.gif

Thanks for all the replies and particularly to Ze-Man for hosting.

I bought the book around 1990 and I think it was supposed to be about a VF+. I don't own many slabs in this range, but it does look nicer than a couple of 8.0's from the same era. I'd like to think it would pull an 8.5

Do you think there is any mileage in getting it slabbed or does the pence price make it a waste of time? I'm planning on selling my Strange Tales run soon, so I'm mainly interested in if I'd make on the cost of any slabbing.

Thanks again guys.

It is absolutely worth getting it slabbed. Ask the Brits on the board. Some of them will tell you that they can sell Pence copies at near the same price as cents copies. (I think Goldust is one of them.) If you want to sell it, just consign it to one of them.

Pence copies get about 50% of their English counterparts, unless you're planning to sell in Europe.

Yup. I would pay about 50% of value for a Pence copy, but I live in CA, not Great Britain. And those Brits have money to burn on comics!

FFB,

David,

I think you're a really good guy, but you're on the crackpipe if you think I'd give your GS Man-Thing anything higher than a 5.0. hi.gif27_laughing.gif

FFB,

Notice I said "most of the posted issues" - where's that copper brillo pad and bud vase btw? 893applaud-thumb.gif