• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one...

62 posts in this topic

ahhh... it's not like CRACK and comics are the same thing. There are plenty of useless products that are unnecessary in life but people still buy... why is it so offensive that people continue to sell variant covers at a markup.

The "you don't have to buy it" argument is exactly where our thoughts ought to be. Because if no one was buying it, believe me, nobody would be selling it either. As long as the product isn't illegal, if somebody wants to sell it, at whatever price they want to, then the consumer has to take some responsibility for being foolish and buying something that is probably not worth what they're paying for it.

And the variants are currently in demand.. so therfore also at a premium.. supply and demand rules apply here.
Yep, but there's an element of "free will" here, in that comic stores hype, promote and help drive these insane "variant fads", so I don't want to hear any LCS owners crying when the party ends and they've got a warehouse of unsold comics. And yes, there was a ton of whining during the 1990's implosion.
Not half of the amount of whining that goes on here about the 1990s implosion. Did you ever stop and think that MAYBE peole here don't want to hear all this crying about a crash that you keep changing the timing and duration of.Maybe you should take it to the ebay forum and save some real newbie,not many people in need of saving here.If you could just STFU once in awhile,people might be able to enjoy our party,for however long it last. I promise not to complain about my two warehouses if you'll promise to just give it a rest. We are all adults here. No-one forces anyone to buy anything. I've yet to read a LCS owner come on and complain about leftover incentives,when they do we'll deal with it.To quote the late great Joe Strummer-" If you've been playing for years,we've already heard your song." 893frustrated.gif

If you could just STFU once in awhile,people might be able to enjoy our party,for however long it last.

You know, you're right in a way. Since comic prices will crash in the future, I should be letting the poor suckers have their fun while it lasts. insane.gif

If you could just STFU once in awhile,people might be able to enjoy our party,for however long it last.

You know, you're right in a way. Since comic prices will crash in the future, I should be letting the poor suckers have their fun while it lasts. insane.gif

Thanks for your blessing J.C. thumbsup2.gifWhew I feel better...

I could not have had as much fun at the party without your blessing. acclaim.gif

And did you move your printing date back for your

"I Told You So, I Told You So.... It Crashed!!!!.. Ha Ha Ha ... I Told You It Was Gonna Crash.. I Was Right.. I Told you So, I Told You So" T-shirts?

Or is your Crash date still firm , and solid?

Cause you wouldnt want to wear your T- shirt after soooo many years have passed by after you originally had them printed.

Would you?

Just poking fun at ya J.C.

We dont need a 300 page thread talking about coins and stamps, and comics again. makepoint.gif

Names.

Not [!@#%^&^] "I know of a store."

Names.

Yeah sure, let's name names. 27_laughing.gif

I have talked to a few different LCS owners about this, and I admit that only one plays the "variant investing game", while one of the others could up orders slightly in order to get it, if it makes $$$$ sense.

One of the guys (the store I shop at) actually GIVES AWAY 893whatthe.gif his variants to his larger customers. I know, I know, and you guys should really go down there and talk some sense into the guy. 27_laughing.gif

BULL [!@#%^&^]

Name ONE STORE. Until you do, you're talking out of your [!@#%^&^].

I disagree. Simply naming one store will not change that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

What will you give me?

You seem to LOVE being a total 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif sometimes and accusing me of various lies and other mis-truths.

So if I name names, will you agree to post a HUGE, VERBOSE, LARGE FONT apology (of my choosing) in your signature for the next century?

If you agree to this, I'll post one of the LCS names no problem.

What will you give me?

You seem to LOVE being a total 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif sometimes and accusing me of various lies and other mis-truths.

So if I name names, will you agree to post a HUGE, VERBOSE, LARGE FONT apology (of my choosing) in your signature for the next century?

And the Darth Vader Force Choke Hold Commences..... grin.gif

What will you give me?

Fire it up:

This *sounds* logical, and may actually be the way you do business, but I know other LCS owners who do it this way:

Look at order and see they sell 15 issues of X per month

See that for every 25 of X ordered next month, they get a free Shiny Variant.

Look on EBay for last Shiny Variant issue and find it selling for $100

Do some quick math and order 400 copies of X

Slap half of Shiny Variants on EBay and other half on store shelf.

Laugh as money rolls in

Toss extra 385 copies of X into back storeroom

Repeat

Fire it up:

I think you guys know that I won't make you carry an embarassing signature for the life of the forums. 893frustrated.gif

Seriously dood, I was talking to him last weekend, and he still can't stop complaining about how he missed the boat on the USM #1 White - "They had boxes of them, and at one point, you could order them straight".

This is also the same guy who told customers "he didn't order enough Origin #1's" and then slapped them on the wall at $75 a shot. He laughed while he told me it.

If you know anyone in Ottawa, ask them who I'm talking about, and be glad you're not wearing an insulting signature for life.

......, and be glad you're not wearing an insulting signature for life.

whaaa????

......, and be glad you're not wearing an insulting signature for life.

whaaa????

"The Others" live! 893whatthe.gif

You know...with so much travesty going on in this world, why do we even bother to throw LCS owners into the same category as these other people? These are guys just trying to make a living out of doing what they like. To compare them to drug dealers is incomprehensible. Some of these posts make them out to look like Hitler. I look at the guy at my LCS and I see someone who is struggling to pay his rent. I often see stores close down because they could not hold up the lease. It appears to me that the average LCS owner is not the type of person who stays up nights to concoct plans to doom the comic book market.

So what if the comic book market crashes today or in a decade? According to some critics, it seems like the people who are contributing to this crash are the ones who will be affected most by it. Like any market that crashes or corrects itself, it will continue to go on. People will continue to buy comics before, during, and after the crash.

You know...with so much travesty going on in this world, why do we even bother to throw LCS owners into the same category as these other people? These are guys just trying to make a living out of doing what they like. To compare them to drug dealers is incomprehensible.

Yeah most drug dealers are trustworthy.

27_laughing.gif

It doesn't make me sick when I see them up on the wall. I just know that they'll never get that money from me. And since the only person whose finances I can control are mine, that's where it ends.

Like someone else said, it's a business. They post a price; you're either willing to pay it or you're not. I'm not. And again, for me, that's where it ends. It's nothing personal, it's "just business."

So who's the greediest - the comic companies, the LCS owner, or the person who buys it thinking that they'll be able to flip it (either immediately or at some point in the future) and make money off it? As an old roommate of mine used to say, "Same cookie, different brand." Greed is greed is greed.

So who's the greediest - the comic companies, the LCS owner, or the person who buys it thinking that they'll be able to flip it (either immediately or at some point in the future) and make money off it?

Sure, but you also have to look at who can control the hype-machine and get the "investment wave" going at high speeds? Sure, buyers are for buying this trash, but they're not running full-page ads, buying Wizard space, or advertising these on the web or in a LCS.

Comic companies and larger dealers bear the brunt of the responsibility in the area of hype, and its eventual tonofbricks.gif outcome.