• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Modern Marvel Reader

481 posts in this topic

Agents Of Atlas volume one: #1-#6 - golden age characters reintroduced into the modern age, with a talking gorilla, a talking dragon and a bloke from Uranus. A fun read.

Heh, heh you said anus, heh

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, I'll get me coat. :sorry:

The Winter Soldier: #1-#8

Not as good as Brubaker’s other Captain America related stuff but still enough of an interest to keep my reading – Dr Doom, some super-apes, the Red Ghost, Russian Sleeper agents and the return of the ‘evil’ Black Widow.

ws8.jpg

Captain America & various friends: #628-637.

Red white & Blue team-ups, including Hawkeye, Iron Man & Black Widow – a decent read, though there is more emphasis on the guest stars than on Cap himself.

tumblr_mayldmB34M1rq6vpco1_500.png

Captain America: #10-#17.

SHIELD, spies & traitors, numerous ex-girlfriends of Cap’s and, ahem, D-Man. This is Brubaker by the numbers, which is still better than most of what the distinguished competition put out – and he does include a 1970’s Madbomb along the way.

Captain-America_17-674x1024.jpg

Daredevil: #11-#18 – Mark Waid & Chris Samnee have put together a well written and nice looking run of DD issues – including a Latverian doctor who injects nanobots into DD to steal away his special senses; Giant Man becomes Ant Man inside of DD to destroy those same doom delivered mini insects; somebody is tampering with DD’s past and, apparently, Thor has body odour. This book also has the best covers of any modern title.

daredevil-18-something-to-hit.jpg

Fantastic Four: #605.1 - #610.

Another great set of issues from Hickman – I just wish they wouldn’t chop and change artists on this book as it becomes very hit and miss regarding quality.

tumblr_ma8oaztRka1qe69nqo1_500.jpg

FF: #17- #22.

Annihilus on the toilet and the Wizard gets kicked in the nuts by his child clone. Hickman gives us the fun side of the FF and I laughed more than once. But not at the Inhumans – they are as grumpy as ever.

Hulk: #45 – #57. The notion of a Red Hulk was a terrible one, as written by Jeph Loeb the book was so bad it melted the pages of any comic within a five mile radius. Jeff Parker though has worked a miracle and turned it, and Red himself, into an interesting read – ghosts, vampires, Dr Strange, the Legion of Monsters, She Hulk, Alpha Flight & Machine Man: it’s like a 1980’s reunion.

Incredible Hulk: #1- #14.

Banner vs Hulk, the daughter of Dr Doom, Dog-Men, the Punisher, stupid 70’s Ghost Rider villain The Orb in his greatest ever appearance, magical Atlanteans, Hulk and Red She Hulk sex, Russian bears in space, Kraven the Hunter, Wolverine & Ben Grimm – writer Jason Aaron could well be the reincarnation of Steve Gerber as this has been the funniest set of comics I’ve read in a long time.

Hi, today I bought propably first Marvel comics since im collecting and reading comics (i dont count new Hawkeye). I know some of the characters from my childhoods cartoons, and stuff...

Today I picked Uncanny Avengers #1, I havent read it yet, but would like to ask if this is good start? I want to collect just few Marvels, since there are those new #1 (Marvel NOW). I dont really want to buy some older graphic novel, just to hop on new realeased monthly issues. :)

Thank you for your advice!

Hi, today I bought propably first Marvel comics since im collecting and reading comics (i dont count new Hawkeye). I know some of the characters from my childhoods cartoons, and stuff...

Today I picked Uncanny Avengers #1, I havent read it yet, but would like to ask if this is good start? I want to collect just few Marvels, since there are those new #1 (Marvel NOW). I dont really want to buy some older graphic novel, just to hop on new realeased monthly issues. :)

Thank you for your advice!

It's written by Rick Remender so it's probably as good a place to start as any if you fancy buying a current Marvel title.