• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

**FINAL FINAL DROP!** STERANKO oddities STERANKO rarities STERANKO

43 posts in this topic

I have even more wonderful Steranko oddities and rarities from the archive to list today, including a few things that I am sure have never appeared here on the Boards before.

:takeit: trumps PMs. Drekkers welcome, Probies not. Shipping is $3.00 for Media Mail (to U.S. addresses) for any number of items. Shipping to Canada for $6 (unless a bunch of stuff is purchased, may have to add a couple bucks). Minimum order for overseas buyers is $30. Shipping price quoted for overseas buyers after purchase. Will charge exact USPS shipping, no extra handling charges. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I decided to do one final price reduction. Scarce books, many never offered on the Boards before!

Up first...

Steranko did two covers for the Marvel Comics index series by George Olshevsky in 1979 (published by Marvel), and I'll be listing both of these scarce books here.

The Fantastic Four cover that Steranko produced for this series has never been reproduced in full size anywhere else. Most fans don't even know this cover exists due to scarcity. In addition, it's an amazingly detailed resource for information about the Fantastic Four series. Book is 8.5" x 11" and is in F/VF condition. Some rubs on corners, small non-color-breaking crease on upper right front cover, small bump on top spine. Book is flat, glossy and cover image in in excellent condition with bright colors.

$65

NOW $45

img356.jpg

img357.jpg

Here is the other cover that Steranko did for the 1979 Marvel index series...

The Captain America issue is hard to find and features the first printing of what is the best image of Captain America that Steranko ever produced, in glorious wraparound color! 8.5 x 11" in size! That makes the wraparound cover 8.5" x 22" ! The largest cover that Steranko ever did. Interior is an amazing index resource of Tales of Suspense, Golden Age, Silver and Bronze Captain America.

This copy is F/VF with a crease at upper right corner of front cover and upper left corner of back cover that is also mildly present on interior pages. Book is flat, glossy and has excellent color as you can see in the photos. Killer Cap image by Steranko!

SOLD!

Back

img361.jpg

Front

img360.jpg

Up next is a book that had a low print run. Argosy magazine from August 1991 with great original cover image of Sherlock Holmes by Steranko. Seldom seen book. VF condition, only a few tiny creases on spine and corners and a few marks on cover.

$18

NOW $12

Front

img362.jpg

Back

img363.jpg

Next up are two very very scare Shadow paperback covers. These were produced as new editions of the Pyramid paperbacks (#9 and #11) when Pyramid evolved into Jove, but with new cover paintings by Steranko that were produced in much lower quantities. People who collect these Shadow paperbacks know how hard these are to find. This was the only printing with these covers. This is the only copy of #9 that I've owned and the first I've listed here (or seen here) on the Boards.

The Shadow #9 - Romanoff Jewels - Jove Printing - Steranko front and back cover designs and front cover painting. Edge and spine wear and small creases

The Shadow #11 - Kings of Crime - Jove Printing - Steranko front and back cover designs and front cover painting. Very minor edge wear, slight miswrap, dots of color loss on back cover, yet appears to be unread! Spine is in pristine condition.

These books are $38 each

#9 is SOLD, but #11 has been reduced to $30

#9 Front

img308.jpg

#9 Back

img309.jpg

#11 Front

img306.jpg

#11 Back

img307.jpg

This is the mother lode of Steranko paperback covers.... Here are 19 of the 23 Steranko-covered Shadow paperbacks published between 1974 and 1978, all with Steranko design and original paintings and feature some of the best work that Steranko ever did.

Set includes #1-3, 5-15, 18-19 and 21-23. The best covers done in the run, in my opinion, are covers #22 and 23, which are included in the set and are in great condition. Set is only missing #4, 16, 17, and 20.

All the books are in similar condition with a tiny bit of edge wear, maybe a rubbed corner, a little bit of color loss, and a few copies have dates written on copyright page. Otherwise, this is a beautiful set and it's very difficult to put one together of this quality with similar attributes. Most of these books appear to be unread. Please let me know if you have any questions.

All 19 books SOLD!

#1-3, 5-10 front

IMG_4056.jpg

#1-3, 5-10 back

IMG_4058.jpg

#11-15, 18-19, 21-23 front

IMG_4059.jpg

#11-15, 18-19, 21-23 back

IMG_4060.jpg

Next up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko wrote, designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that was never published

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

I have two NM and unread copies of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size.

Each copy is $30

One copy remaining, reduced to $23

img240.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3543-1.jpg

IMG_3547-1.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages, FULL SIZE 8.5 x 11"

Pyramid Books 1976

This is the classic, magnum-opus work by Jim Steranko, CHANDLER : RED TIDE that was published in 1976 which was written, pencilled, inked and colored by Jim Steranko. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. There were two versions of this book, one a digest size, published by Byron Preiss on lesser-quality paper, and this one, the scarce, special-order-only full size 8.5 x 11" that was printed on much higher-quality paper. This is the much harder to find version. Chandler : Red Tide is the ultimate published work by Steranko in its intended full-size with bold colors.

Fine condition with white pages. No writing and no tears. Very minor wear on covers and excellent pages. Creasing on upper left front and upper right back cover and same creasing on top inner gutter of pages. Slightly rubbed cover corners. Book may be unread. Really, really tough to find in this condition.

SOLD!

img290.jpg

img291.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages, DIGEST SIZE 6.5" x 5"

Pyramid Books 1976

This is the classic, magnum-opus work by Jim Steranko, CHANDLER : RED TIDE that was published in 1976 which was written, pencilled, inked and colored by Jim Steranko. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. Chandler : Red Tide is the ultimate published work by Steranko.

VF condition with cream pages (better than average page quality for this book). No writing and no tears. Very minor wear on covers and excellent pages. Book appears to be unread based on flat, firm spine.

$35

REDUCED TO $24

img358-1.jpg

img359-1.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

Yes, it's been whispered about, and seldom seen. You heard that Jim Steranko was a magician prior to becoming a Marvel illustrator in the mid-sixties?

This is a copy of the super rare STERANKO ON CARDS, first 1960 printing. SIGNED by Jim Steranko (personalized to Roger).

Entire 102 page book was designed, written and illustrated by Steranko when he was only 22 years old. Includes Steranko photo on cover. This book is legendary among card magicians and very sought after.

This book is in very fine condition. Pages are very nice. It was printed with a clear plastic front and back cover and a plastic comb binding. Clear plastic is turning darker in some areas. Plastic comb is broken in one spot, but doesn't affect readability.

Super scarce.

$175

REDUCED TO $145

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

Those Shadow paperbacks bring back memories - I bought them as a kid as they were published - a big thrill every time a new one appeared at the bookstore - I held onto them until about 12 years ago and then for some reason sold them for $5 apiece in one of my routine thinning the collection moments.

This is the mother lode of Steranko paperback covers.... Here are 19 of the 23 Steranko-covered Shadow paperbacks published between 1974 and 1978, all with Steranko design and original paintings and feature some of the best work that Steranko ever did.

Set includes #1-3, 5-15, 18-19 and 21-23. The best covers done in the run, in my opinion, are covers #22 and 23, which are included in the set and are in great condition. Set is only missing #4, 16, 17, and 20.

All the books are in similar condition with a tiny bit of edge wear, maybe a rubbed corner, a little bit of color loss, and a few copies have dates written on copyright page. Otherwise, this is a beautiful set and it's very difficult to put one together of this quality with similar attributes. Most of these books appear to be unread. Please let me know if you have any questions.

All 19 books for $170

#1-3, 5-10 front

IMG_4056.jpg

#1-3, 5-10 back

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

#11-15, 18-19, 21-23 back

IMG_4060.jpg

:takeit:

All 19 books for $170

#1-3, 5-10 front

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

:takeit:

SOLD! Thank you! Someone is going to stumble on this thread late and wish they had a shot at these. Very difficult to put a nice set like this together. PM sent.

SOLD! Thank you! Someone is going to stumble on this thread late and wish they had a shot at these. Very difficult to put a nice set like this together. PM sent.

Congrats to the buyer and seller, I was looking at them for an hour, trying to figure out where I could put them if I bought them :foryou: