• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Price increase confusion getting book sign...

30 posts in this topic

I see...i expected them to prep it coz they did it previous year. if i knew i had prep, i would have done it at home.

I'm not sure if they post this new rules regarding prepping your own books before getting it sign. I thought that $5 handling fee is the charge for prepping the book.

well next time I know, It just I'm not comfortable cracking the slab too, it hurts me seeing it... :D

thanks again guys...

I see...i expected them to prep it coz they did it previous year. if i knew i had prep, i would have done it at home.

I'm not sure if they post this new rules regarding prepping your own books before getting it sign. I thought that $5 handling fee is the charge for prepping the book.

well next time I know, It just I'm not comfortable cracking the slab too, it hurts me seeing it... :D

thanks again guys...

It is really not that bad, but I know what you are saying about the fear. The outside is easy; just grab the sides and pull apart. The inside well must be done carefully with either scissors or an exacto knife. If you go slowly, you will be good to go. Cracking slabs is like learning to swim, you just need to jump in the pool!

Breakdown of the CGC SS Prices:

CGC SS Moderns $28

Fast Track (Optional) $10

Additional Signature Fees $5

Return Shipping - Registered US MAIL $14 first book.

As far as cracking Blue Lables, they won't. Yellow SS, they have to.

Am I missing something?

They did for me thrice at NYCC. Unless they changed their policy.

It is really not that bad, but I know what you are saying about the fear. The outside is easy; just grab the sides and pull apart. The inside well must be done carefully with either scissors or an exacto knife. If you go slowly, you will be good to go. Cracking slabs is like learning to swim, you just need to jump in the pool!

At NYCC a lady behind the booth of one of the celebrity/signature places was cutting open the hard outer shell with scissors. I was standing there watching the plastic bend and flex when I decided, "Nope. I'll just let CGC open my 9.8 and get the signature myself."

Breakdown of the CGC SS Prices:

CGC SS Moderns $28

Fast Track (Optional) $10

Additional Signature Fees $5

Return Shipping - Registered US MAIL $14 first book.

As far as cracking Blue Lables, they won't. Yellow SS, they have to.

Am I missing something?

They did for me thrice at NYCC. Unless they changed their policy.

They did change their policy after NYCC.

Cracking a slab really isn't that hard to do at all, seems to me that as long as you pay attention and don't do anything dumb it is pretty hard to actually damage the books cracking them. Take your time and cut straight. :)

So if I do the legwork myself for multiple sigs for CGC SS, do I still have to pay the extra $5 per sig?

1. I wait in line for a Marc Silvestri signature, then have my buddy fetch a CGC witness (from the CGC booth) when I get to the front of the line to watch the actual signature. The CGC guy takes possession of the comic.

2. I wait in line for EBAS, then have my buddy fetch the CGC witness (who has my comic at the CGC booth) when I get to the front of the line to watch the actual signature.

Did I just save myself $5 bucks? Because I prefer to get the sig anyway to interact with the artist/creator.

NOTE: This question is just for the actual CGC witnesses, not the other helper people like Desert Wind or GA Collectibles.