• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of Crime SuspenStories #20

12 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if there was an increase in value for this particular issue in the last couple of years and if it was a rather common issue to obtain or more scarce? Thanks for the help!

Hey Everyone, I was wondering if there was an increase in value for this particular issue in the last couple of years and if it was a rather common issue to obtain or more scarce? Thanks for the help!

I don't know if it has increased much. This is a key but also relatively easy to get compared to #22. The one issue that I've seen go up a lot is #19, at least anecdotally (based on some auctions I've watched).

This series has a lot of classic covers, #20 among them. But #22 casts a long shadow on the rest... The other classics are probably a little undervalued, but I think that will change at some point.

Ok thanks for the help. I've even getting into pre code horrors lately and was wondering about that particular issue. I love the cover, and I'm thinking of starting to collect the rest of the run in mid to lower grade :grin:

I don't think any issues in the run are particularly hard to find - not even #22 - it's just a matter of what you want to pay. For a long time #22, while always a guide or slightly over book, was pretty affordable, because it was a lot easier to find than say Fight Against Crime #20 or Lawbreakers Suspense #11 ( neither of which is actually scarce). Then a few years back it seemed to triple or quadruple in value in a very short time. This hasn't seemed to drag up other "classic covers" in the run, indicating that the demand for #22 hasn't increased demand for other issues, but who knows, if any issue is going to see a spike in interest it's probably #20.

17, 19 & 20 are all great covers, and if they were on non-EC books, they would probably sell for more than they do now. But in general ECs haven't been stellar investments. When I was a kid 40 years ago, most midgrade EC books sold for $10-$30, the sci-fi ones being the most desirable, adjusting for inflation that's about $50 - $150 now, pretty much the range for midgrade ECs today. Between reprints and archives, and a higher than average amount saved of the originals, the demand seems pretty well satisfied.

I don't think any issues in the run are particularly hard to find - not even #22 - it's just a matter of what you want to pay. For a long time #22, while always a guide or slightly over book, was pretty affordable, because it was a lot easier to find than say Fight Against Crime #20 or Lawbreakers Suspense #11 ( neither of which is actually scarce). Then a few years back it seemed to triple or quadruple in value in a very short time. This hasn't seemed to drag up other "classic covers" in the run, indicating that the demand for #22 hasn't increased demand for other issues, but who knows, if any issue is going to see a spike in interest it's probably #20.

17, 19 & 20 are all great covers, and if they were on non-EC books, they would probably sell for more than they do now. But in general ECs haven't been stellar investments. When I was a kid 40 years ago, most midgrade EC books sold for $10-$30, the sci-fi ones being the most desirable, adjusting for inflation that's about $50 - $150 now, pretty much the range for midgrade ECs today. Between reprints and archives, and a higher than average amount saved of the originals, the demand seems pretty well satisfied.

Thank you for the great summary. It actually reassured to complete the run since its affordable to collect right now, and I just love the covers on these comics. Has anyone read the series? How are the plots?

Thank you for the great summary. It actually reassured to complete the run since its affordable to collect right now, and I just love the covers on these comics. Has anyone read the series? How are the plots?

My favorite EC series - though I'm partial to crime comics. Like all EC titles - the interior stories and artwork are stellar - and of course easily available in reprint form, though there is something to be said for reading the originals.

I have read probably over 2/3 of the series, thanks to the Russ Cochran volumes (the big ones), which makes it easier. The plots are very much inspired by crime/noir fiction such as James M. Cain or Patricia Highsmith.

The previous crime comics (War Against Crime and Crime Patrol) were more gangster and crime-syndicate driven, whereas Crime SuspenStories tends to involve ordinary citizens who betray, blackmail, murder or otherwise turn on each other. There are a lot of love triangles turned deadly, business partners scheming against each other (or against a competitor), etc.

Also there are lots of stories that get inside the character's heads and motivations, with subjective points of view, laying on the paranoia, guilt, jealousy, pride, etc.

I wouldn't call them high art but they make it very clear why EC established a fanbase and a more adult-level audience. Naturally there is always some sort of reversal or twist at the end -- I think this is true of about 95% of every EC story in every EC title from the "New Trend" lineup. You don't want to read too many of the comics in a row or else you'll start to see the twists coming a little too soon.

I find the Crime SuspenStories issues to be pretty dark overall. With the horror comics, ironically there is a lot of comedy there -- partly thanks to the narrator/hosts, and because things are so outlandish and gruesome. With Crime SuspenStories there isn't nearly as much comic relief and because the characters are real people the overall effect is a little more vicious.

Now that you mention it, I think I need to go read some issues again. The EC comics are very re-readable...

I have read probably over 2/3 of the series, thanks to the Russ Cochran volumes (the big ones), which makes it easier. The plots are very much inspired by crime/noir fiction such as James M. Cain or Patricia Highsmith.

The previous crime comics (War Against Crime and Crime Patrol) were more gangster and crime-syndicate driven, whereas Crime SuspenStories tends to involve ordinary citizens who betray, blackmail, murder or otherwise turn on each other. There are a lot of love triangles turned deadly, business partners scheming against each other (or against a competitor), etc.

Also there are lots of stories that get inside the character's heads and motivations, with subjective points of view, laying on the paranoia, guilt, jealousy, pride, etc.

I wouldn't call them high art but they make it very clear why EC established a fanbase and a more adult-level audience. Naturally there is always some sort of reversal or twist at the end -- I think this is true of about 95% of every EC story in every EC title from the "New Trend" lineup. You don't want to read too many of the comics in a row or else you'll start to see the twists coming a little too soon.

I find the Crime SuspenStories issues to be pretty dark overall. With the horror comics, ironically there is a lot of comedy there -- partly thanks to the narrator/hosts, and because things are so outlandish and gruesome. With Crime SuspenStories there isn't nearly as much comic relief and because the characters are real people the overall effect is a little more vicious.

Now that you mention it, I think I need to go read some issues again. The EC comics are very re-readable...

I was already excited about being able to read the stories, and you have made me more anxious for them to come in the mail so I can read them. I just purchased issues #10, 20, and 24. I'm hoping to add a few more later on this month or the next. I've been thinking about getting the reprints to be able to read all the stories. Lets see how it goes.

You don't want to read too many of the comics in a row or else you'll start to see the twists coming a little too soon.

Good advice here, I got right into EC and grabbed a lot in a short period of time.

I burnt myself out reading them due to the similarity of the twists.

Still pick them up if I see them cheap and read them from time to time though.