• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will our comics be worth when

48 posts in this topic

China's governemnt, truth be told, fears its own people more than anything in the world, and despite appearances of economic strength I think their civil society is weak, and they will not escape this weakness until there is real democratic reform. *Then* I could see a China competing equally with the US. 2c

There is lots to be afraid of when you have a billion people that can trample a government under foot.

:eek:

China's governemnt, truth be told, fears its own people more than anything in the world, and despite appearances of economic strength I think their civil society is weak, and they will not escape this weakness until there is real democratic reform. *Then* I could see a China competing equally with the US. 2c

There is lots to be afraid of when you have a billion people that can trample a government under foot.

:eek:

Agreed. 100%. I think a lot of western responses to China (not just in US but generally) have been mixed with this hope and fear: will change come gradually or will it come in revolution, and that could be a very big mess indeed. I think most of us wish the Chinese *people* a prosperous and peaceful future, but I think also if Americans realized how fragile China is they would be more confident and less worried about China as a competitor.

IMHO India, China and Russia, however, in order to really gain parity (let alone supremacy) will have to succeed also in developing as open and democratic societies to fully realize the potential of their peoples to innovate and produce and *lead* technologically. I suppose the prospects for each of these countries must be evaluated separately, but decline is relative, and there is no reason a US decline could not cause an even greater decline in these other emerging but fragile economies.

India is democratic.

I doubt whether most of history's superpowers could be called democratic and I don't see why those of the future need be either. Seems more of a comforting idea than a reality.

Every other monetary system will tank before the us dollar.

The Australian dollar won't. Too many natural resources here.

We hope... :eek:

IMHO India, China and Russia, however, in order to really gain parity (let alone supremacy) will have to succeed also in developing as open and democratic societies to fully realize the potential of their peoples to innovate and produce and *lead* technologically. I suppose the prospects for each of these countries must be evaluated separately, but decline is relative, and there is no reason a US decline could not cause an even greater decline in these other emerging but fragile economies.

India is democratic.

I doubt whether most of history's superpowers could be called democratic and I don't see why those of the future need be either. Seems more of a comforting idea than a reality.

Every other monetary system will tank before the us dollar.

The Australian dollar won't. Too many natural resources here.

We hope... :eek:

She'll be right mate (thumbs u