• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC and Digital Download Codes - Maybe We Shouldn't be Using Those Codes posted by Buzzetta

5 posts in this topic

Interesting dilemma...

As we move forward into the digital age some publishers have taken to including digital download codes into their comic books in case you want your comic to go wherever your portable media device goes.

Now, this is in reality nothing new. After all, the funny books have included lots of freebies within their pages. Some books have offered 3D glasses, poster inserts, rub off tattoos and other inserts. They have even included cassette tapes of the Ramones singing the Spider-man theme song with certain comics. Except for the cassette tapes, CGC has noted the inclusion or absence of all of these within their grading notes. What if the absence or previous redemption of a digital code devalues a book?

Does this sound outrageous? Consider this. An Amazing Spider-man 238 in a 9.6 seems to be worth less without the rub on tattoos in comparison to a 9.4 WITH the tattoos. Could a grader test to see if a download code works? If the code has already been redeemed then could the book be considered qualified or incomplete because there is an invalid code within it's pages? Do not simply scoff at this. Around 1983, no one assumed that little rub on tattoos were essential to the condition of a comic book either.

Who knows what the impact of digital media or digital codes will be? Those unused digital download codes could be essential in determining whether your 9.8 white page copy of Avengers v X-Men #1 comes back in a Universal or Qualified grade. Me? I still want a copy of Detective Comics 27. At least that book didn't have any inserts that I have to be concerned with.

See more journals by Buzzetta

I asked CGC about this. The answer that I got was it does affect the Grade. How it actually affects the grade I do not know as of yet.

http://www.comicbooked.com/an-imperfect-copy-or-not-good-enough/

I wrote this about the Marvel Value Stamp in a prelude to the sticker quandary. As of today's date I have yet to peel a sticker off to get the digital copy.

"Me? I still want a copy of Detective Comics 27. At least that book didnt have any inserts that I have to be concerned with."

That's where I'm at...I'm not so concerned with the potential downgrade because my collecting focus is more on the older books. Although I will have to say the variants make it very tempting, especially that Midtown Comics X-Babies cover!

sig.jpg

124600.jpg.b6a9244fae596fca81a363e5f2a68e4b.jpg

"Me? I still want a copy of Detective Comics 27. At least that book didnt have any inserts that I have to be concerned with."

That's where I'm at...I'm not so concerned with the potential downgrade because my collecting focus is more on the older books. Although I will have to say the variants make it very tempting, especially that Midtown Comics X-Babies cover!

sig.jpg

I am down to buying only Amazing Spider-man each month to keep up the run. I will probably pick up a few of the Valiant titles as they come out depending on whether or not I enjoy the read. (I specifically look forward to news on Eternal Warrior.)

After it is all said and done, I have been buying Golden Age books as I complete a slabbed set of Amazing Spider-man from 1-100. With 26 books to go, I see myself finishing that by the end of the year and am already looking at Batman #20 as the next major purpose or I may go find another AF 15.

I am walking around and clearing out stuff I do not want as we speak.